Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Homemade shalach manus - bal tashchis
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 11:04 pm
The amount of homemade mishloach manus that goes to waste every purim makes me sad.

20 iced coffees sitting out of the fridge for hours. My fridge is full for purim meal things and I don’t have space to store a ton of homemade perishables.

The homemade cakes and cookies come with labels that say “pareve. baked in milchig oven - that wasn’t used for milchigs in 24 hours. The chocolate on top was melted using a pot that was used for meat within 24 hours.”
I give them to cleaning lady.

I think shalach manus has gone too far. But at least if it’s shelf stable with a hechsher it won’t be thrown out and can be used later.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 11:11 pm
I love getting homemade, we don't throw anything out.

Cookin4days

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 11:16 pm
I never realized how much people hated homemade MM till this website.
If you don’t want it, DONATE it, give to the homeless. Give to me I’ll enjoy.
Not the biggest deal. How is homemade going too far?

Princess23

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 11:17 pm
amother OP wrote:
The amount of homemade mishloach manus that goes to waste every purim makes me sad.

20 iced coffees sitting out of the fridge for hours. My fridge is full for purim meal things and I don’t have space to store a ton of homemade perishables.

The homemade cakes and cookies come with labels that say “pareve. baked in milchig oven - that wasn’t used for milchigs in 24 hours. The chocolate on top was melted using a pot that was used for meat within 24 hours.”

I think shalach manus has gone too far. But at least if it’s shelf stable with a hechsher it won’t be thrown out and can be used later.

This is why I went cheap this Purim.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 11:19 pm
We much eather home made than the alternative.
We never throw anything home made out. We love home made things.
Like the above reply this website was the fist time I ever heard people throw out home made things.in my opinion, awful awful awful.

salt

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 1:44 am
We freeze home-baked mishloach manot that we don't eat on Purim itself and eat it later.
Just have to make sure we finish it all before Pesach Smile

amother
Lily

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 5:15 am
Why would it matter so much if it’s home made or not? Cakes or cookies don’t need to be refrigerated or can be frozen.

Considering how much more expensive packaged goods are and that so many are struggling, this is a tone deaf snobby post.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 5:39 am
We love homemade stuff! It's the best!

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 6:00 am
Maybe people just should do whatever is most fitting for their community. We and our neighbors love and eat homemade mm. There are no kashrut concerns, people know what they are doing.
If in other communities this is a non-starter, so don't.
However, here on imamother there are also every year many threads about throwing out store bought sweets because they are unhealthy and kids shouldn't eat them and whatnot.

So, no homemade goodies and no store bought sweets - what CAN one still use to fulfill the mitzvah?

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 6:04 am
And in my house the store brought sodas and snacks and wafers and alcohol go straight to the garbage…..

Traveller247

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 6:08 am
I love homemade! No throwing things out here

amother
Wallflower

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 6:12 am
Op, it's not bal taschis to give homemade food. If anyone needs the message, it's the people throwing out perfectly good food.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 6:26 am
These posts are so high school.
EWWWW gross, human hands actually touched thaaat?
I wonder if all these people posting this every year (!) are all from the same community/demographic. Where I live we all give and get yummy homemade stuff. Challa, dips, muffins, ice coffee's, shakes, homemade granolas and kugels. YUM. bring it on! As long as it packaged nicely and labled properly it will be received with love Heart

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 6:30 am
amother OP wrote:

Maybe you should just announce around you that you don't want shlach mones...

amother
DarkGreen

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 6:30 am
OP, How about you tell us what you would love to get for MM?
A custom pre packaged charcuterie board does not count.... Nor does a 10$ chocolate.

amother
Wallflower

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 6:34 am
amother Brown wrote:
Maybe you should just announce around you that you don't want shlach mones...

This. I know someone who politely doesn't accept. Know your limits. If you can't handle the food and you feel bad about bal tashchis, you can just let people know that you don't want.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 6:40 am
amother DarkGreen wrote:
These posts are so high school.
EWWWW gross, human hands actually touched thaaat?
I wonder if all these people posting this every year (!) are all from the same community/demographic. Where I live we all give and get yummy homemade stuff. Challa, dips, muffins, ice coffee's, shakes, homemade granolas and kugels. YUM. bring it on! As long as it packaged nicely and labled properly it will be received with love Heart

The same people who says that:
1. Probably aren't careful with their own hand hygiene.
2. They pay hefty prices for hand made rustic pottery or hand made artisan upscale bread. The thing is it must be *bought* . If not bought it's seen as inferior and sub-par.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 6:42 am
amother OP wrote:

Not to be snarky, but is your issue homemsde or perishable? Becaude your title harps on homemade then starts with your full fringe.

Ive never gotten 20 iced coffees, however most of the ones I get are NOT homemade. however, except for j&j they are not shelf stable and need refridgetation along with the cute chocolate milks, oj's, cheesecales and salads bought and homemade, deli packages, etc. I find room! Im also hosting but the kids gotta eat shushan purim!

Homemade is a grear way to.give out delicious, real food, items at a more reasonable cost, especially since we never know what random people are tossing. If you throw out my home made iced coffee bc you couldnt refridgerate that was $1 not well spent + my precious time and the baal tashchos is sad. If you throw out the bought iced coffee from Cookie Corner I gave that you have no fridge room for, well thats like $6 in the garbage Crying
Your post makes me want to stick w homemade.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 6:43 am
amother Indigo wrote:
And in my house the store brought sodas and snacks and wafers and alcohol go straight to the garbage…..

WHY? Is it too much for you to donate it?
I will be more than pleased to take the alcohol. (Use it for baking and cooking usually)

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 6:45 am
amother Peachpuff wrote:
Not to be snarky, but is your issue homemsde or perishable? Becaude your title harps on homemade then starts with your full fringe.

Ive never gotten 20 iced coffees, however most of the ones I get are NOT homemade. however, except for j&j they are not shelf stable and need refridgetation along with the cute chocolate milks, oj's, cheesecales bought and homemade, deli packages, etc. I find room! Im also hosting but tge kids gotta eat shushan purim!

Homemade is a grear way to.give out delicious, real food, items at a more reasonable cost, especially since we never know what random people are tossing. If you throw out my home made iced coffee bc you couldnt refridgerate that was $1 not well spent + my precious time and the baal tashchos is sad. If you throw out the bought iced coffee from Cookie Corner I gave that you have no fridge room for, well thats like $6 in the garbage Crying
Your post makes me want to stick w homemade.

OP clearly needs an additional fridge and the iced coffees may be frozen.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics