Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Tipping pregnant morah
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Would you tip a pregnant Morah on Purim?
Yes  
 99%  [ 154 ]
No  
 0%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 155

amother
Maize

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:47 am
I wouldn't tip her if she's pregnant, you might hurt her unborn baby. Please wait till after the birth to do it!

amother
Currant

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:52 am
Besides the absurdity of the question, do you even know when she's due? I look huge, like I'm overdue but I'm only 30 weeks. She may still have another 2 months with your child (which is irrelevant but it seams like op thinks it is).

amother
Caramel

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:53 am
amother Currant wrote:
Besides the absurdity of the question, do you even know when she's due? I look huge, like I'm overdue but I'm only 30 weeks. She may still have another 2 months with your child (which is irrelevant but it seams like op thinks it is).

True. I had ppl asking how overdue I was starting at 32 weeks.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:55 am
amother Lilac wrote:
So your expectation is that these people will act differently depending on how much money someone "bribes" them with?

I think most teachers and caretakers would be horrified to think that people think they need to be "bribed" in order to not be horrible.

A "bribe" is always viewed as being corrupt

No, it's not my expectation.
I just brought up the halachic aspect & POV on tipping throughout the year vs at the end of the year.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 12:56 pm
I think the only possibility where not tipping because she's pregnant would be if you were planning to give her a nice baby gift not long after purim. Otherwise, it isn't right not to give her a tip, if you were giving everyone else.

ddmom

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 12:59 pm
OP can you please explain what you meant?
We're not understanding. What

Why wouldn't you tip your morah because she's highly pregnant? What's the connection?

gdgirl

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 1:00 pm
what is a "hugely" pregnant Morah?! this is so rude.

exhausted

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 1:01 pm
I would give her a HUGE tip Very Happy

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 1:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
Would you tip a morah if she is due to leave in the coming weeks before Purim or right after Purim?
If you are a morah, would you appreciate a tip if you are hugely pregnant Purim time?

Huh? Did she not teach your child all year because she was pregnant? Otherwise, why would her being pregnant have anything to do with whether or not you give her money?
Also, no one is hugely pregnant. She may be pregnant and carrying big, or you may mean she is almost due. Maybe that can be phrased a little bit differently?

amother
DarkViolet

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 1:07 pm
What does her being pregnant have anything under the sun to do with tipping her? And certainly just how pregnant she is??? Scratching Head and no we only tip rebbes by purim, not teachers, regardless of uterine status.

amother
Acacia

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 1:32 pm
The question is why are you tipping her?
If you are tipping because you want to bribe her to be good to your child for the next few weeks, then there is no need, because she wont be there.
If you are tipping to show appreciation for everything she's been doing every day for your child, then of course you should tip her.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 3:35 pm
Apologies, English is not my first language. I am from Brazil. I write better then I speak. I was talking with my sister yesterday with it so she has a different opinion then me. First I asked her how much I should tip the morah because she is very caring and devoted to my child and it was not a long ago that I was pregnant too so I know how hard it is to lift up and carry 14+ children the big part of the day. I would tip her largely because I am so thankful for her devotion even if she had pain aches and nausea all along. She is very personal about the due date but from what I gather from the regular morah, the morah is having the baby soon in a few weeks. My sister opinion is that since the morah is leaving, I can't tip her since it's before Purim and it's not proper to tip before the holiday. Another thing my sister said is that she thinks that the morah is there just for the money and it is not ok because she's leaving right before or after Purim and mothers shouldn't tip because she doesn't need it. I am planning on tipping her a big amount of money. I turned here to get opinions, and I am sorry for my bad English.

NechaMom

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 3:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
Apologies, English is not my first language. I am from Brazil. I write better then I speak. I was talking with my sister yesterday with it so she has a different opinion then me. First I asked her how much I should tip the morah because she is very caring and devoted to my child and it was not a long ago that I was pregnant too so I know how hard it is to lift up and carry 14+ children the big part of the day. I would tip her largely because I am so thankful for her devotion even if she had pain aches and nausea all along. She is very personal about the due date but from what I gather from the regular morah, the morah is having the baby soon in a few weeks. My sister opinion is that since the morah is leaving, I can't tip her since it's before Purim and it's not proper to tip before the holiday. Another thing my sister said is that she thinks that the morah is there just for the money and it is not ok because she's leaving right before or after Purim and mothers shouldn't tip because she doesn't need it. I am planning on tipping her a big amount of money. I turned here to get opinions, and I am sorry for my bad English.

Your sister is wrong. Tip her nicely just the way you planned on doing.
Thanks for explaining that English is not your first language. The title made it seem like you're talking about the morah's physical size. You probably meant late in pregnancy. So highly pregnant is the appropriate term.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 3:48 pm
NechaMom wrote:
Your sister is wrong. Tip her nicely just the way you planned on doing.
Thanks for explaining that English is not your first language. The title made it seem like you're talking about the morah's physical size. You probably meant late in pregnancy. So highly pregnant is the appropriate term.

I am really very sorry. I fixed it to just pregnant. I would also like to say to please be ok that not everyone can write true right English. The language is hard to learn. I live in Brooklyn and I am not sure with the expensive things this days how much is a proper amount. I wanted to give $100 but my sister went crazy and said all this things about why the morah doesn't deserve the money no matter how hard it was for her.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 3:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
I am really very sorry. I fixed it to just pregnant. I would also like to say to please be ok that not everyone can write true right English. The language is hard to learn. I live in Brooklyn and I am not sure with the expensive things this days how much is a proper amount. I wanted to give $100 but my sister went crazy and said all this things about why the morah doesn't deserve the money no matter how hard it was for her.

If you can afford it - go for it! I’m sure she will be very appreciative. Your sister’s opinion is not relevant here.

amother
Currant

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 3:55 pm
amother Tiffanyblue wrote:
If you can afford it - go for it! I’m sure she will be very appreciative. Your sister’s opinion is not relevant here.

I agree. It's a generous tip but not outrageous so I'd go for it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 3:56 pm
amother Currant wrote:
I agree. It's a generous tip but not outrageous so I'd go for it.

I will ask the morah when is she leaving.

zaq

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 4:07 pm
WHAT??? The tip is not to guarantee service in the future but an expression of appreciation for what she has done so far.

Not to mention that your assumption that she will quit her job is just an assumption. Many women go back to work after six weeks, and some go back even sooner. But that's neither here nor there, because a tip is an expression of thanks for service already provided. I prefer to think of the Chanuka and Purim gifts as gifts, not "tips." I think calling them "tips" is demeaning. Teachers aren't delivery boys or baristas.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 4:32 pm
amother OP wrote:

It’s not your sisters business to decide if she deserves it or not. If you feel she worked hard then please tip her. $100 is a lot though as a teacher I have gotten a few such tips. Don’t listen to your sister and do as you feel. I’ve never seen such a unanimous poll on imamother. Op you got your answer!

NechaMom

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 5:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
I am really sorry. I fixed it to just pregnant. I would also like to say to please be ok that not everyone can write true right English. The language is hard to learn. I live in Brooklyn and I am not sure with the expensive things this days how much is a proper amount. I wanted to give $100 but my sister went crazy and said all this things about why the morah doesn't deserve the money no matter how hard it was for her.

Don't feel bad. You already explained that it was not intentional. Besides, it's nothing personal for me. I'm not hugely pregnant ATM. I'm plain hugely fat.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics