Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
"Tipping" teachers

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 9:30 am
Am I alone in feeling that the term "tipping" when applied to a teacher is demeaning? A tip is something you give a waiter, the person who delivers your groceries, or your kid's camp counselor, and while it's meant to show appreciation for good service, it emits a strong stench of class differences, with the recipient being of significantly lower social standing than the giver.

Without arguing about whether giving monetary gifts to teacher is appropriate or ethical, surely we can come up with a better term for a gift given to a teacher?

amother
Black

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 9:32 am
amother OP wrote:
Am I alone in feeling that the term "tipping" when applied to a teacher is demeaning? A tip is something you give a waiter, the person who delivers your groceries, or your kid's camp counselor, and while it's meant to show appreciation for good service, it emits a strong stench of class differences, with the recipient being of significantly lower social standing than the giver.

Without arguing about whether giving monetary gifts to teacher is appropriate or ethical, surely we can come up with a better term for a gift given to a teacher?

I agree. I do not like that term for giving money/gifts to teachers.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 10:41 am
If it’s called tipping, it’s voluntary. I don’t tip. Or give chanuka presents. Or participate in teacher appreciation week. I do send thank you notes/emails.

giftedmom

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 11:00 am
Just because you see it that way doesn’t mean everyone does

amother
Leaf

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 11:08 am
So they want the tip, but not the name because it makes them feel demeaning? Umm.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 11:26 am
amother Leaf wrote:
So they want the tip, but not the name because it makes them feel demeaning? Umm.

LOL

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 12:27 pm
amother Leaf wrote:

You mistake the matter entirely. I'm not a teacher, and I don't work in an educational institution. Nevertheless, I feel that the term is insulting to teachers. A teacher does not "serve" except in the sense that a head of state or a CEO "serves" and should not be getting "tipped" for "providing good service."

I'd prefer to call it a "bonus" for "exemplary performance," which is what executives get. Nobody "tips" an executive. Granted, the bonus comes from the boss, not from the client, but the idea is the same.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette