Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Coffee on Shabbos - Instant alternative
1  2  Next

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:14 am
I'm having guests this shabbos that are into coffee. Is there a way to have a decent coffee on Shabbos morning? Please educate me on the choices. I rarely have coffee.

amother
Bone

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:19 am
Ask your rav about pour over on Shabbos. Eta- with kli shlishi

greenteaorange

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:21 am
If they’re into coffee chances are whatever you get the won’t like
Ask them if there anything u can get specific for them
Alternative options/ iced coffee from a bottle
Melita drip over coffee

monseymom25

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:24 am
Stokes cold brew is really good. The purple one.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:25 am
amother Bone wrote:
Ask your rav about pour over on Shabbos. Eta- with kli shlishi

Agree with this. If Rav says there is a way to brew coffee, then get coffee grounds.

essie14

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:26 am
Cold brew or maybe these
https://gaiacoffee.com/product.....elvet

amother
Daphne

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:27 am
Anyone into coffee knows they wont have
a fresh brewed coffee shabbos morning. Starbucks packets are good. So is their cold brew

amother
Bone

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:33 am
amother Daphne wrote:
Anyone into coffee knows they wont have
a fresh brewed coffee shabbos morning. Starbucks packets are good. So is their cold brew

That's really not the case. Pour over is an accepted way to make freshly brewed coffee.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:35 am
amother Bone wrote:
That's really not the case. Pour over is an accepted way to make freshly brewed coffee.

Yes, we use one. I've also seen the opinion of using a French press as long as you stop pouring out the coffee when the water level gets too low in the French press (then there is an issue of borer)

Definitely ask them what they use for coffee on shabbos!

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:39 am
Thank you. I'm going to speak with a Rav about the pour over. I didn't realize it's ok on Shabbos. That's their favorite anyway.

singleagain

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 12:00 pm
I'm surprised at how many people say pour over is okay... When for years and years it was not okay.

My dad uses Starbucks via or he makes cold brew before Shabbat

tichellady

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 12:03 pm
Our rabbi says pour over is ok

amother
Snapdragon

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 12:04 pm
singleagain wrote:
I'm surprised at how many people say pour over is okay... When for years and years it was not okay.

My dad uses Starbucks via or he makes cold brew before Shabbat

Was it really not? I don't remember them saying it was not okay.

https://shulchanaruchharav.com.....bbos/

singleagain

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 12:08 pm
amother Snapdragon wrote:
Was it really not? I don't remember them saying it was not okay.

https://shulchanaruchharav.com.....bbos/

I don't remember all the details. But my father said that he had asked like 20 years ago and been told no. And all of a sudden a few years ago it came out that it was okay and the rabbi in our shul that actually said that it was fine. But when my father went to go ask our Rav Ha'ir, the Rav basically implied that he wouldn't.

I'm not saying that there isn't what to rely on. I'm just surprised, as my father was, when all the sudden a couple years back it became acceptable after not being acceptable for so long.

My father also said that he wasn't sure if the process was understand because of the wording "coffee granules." When there's no such thing, it's coffee grounds so my father thinks there might be some misunderstanding in the process.

ETA: I'm not a coffee drinker. But my dad is and he will not do pour over himself but if somebody is over at the house and asks for poor over he shows them where the stuff is.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 1:13 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
I'm having guests this shabbos that are into coffee. Is there a way to have a decent coffee on Shabbos morning? Please educate me on the choices. I rarely have coffee.

Taster's Choice house blend coffee in a jar (rather than the plastic jug) s the way to go for shabbos.

(Unless you happen to know they like cold brew made day before before shabbos, I would not go that route).

mha3484

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 1:20 pm
DH is the coffee snob but I appreciate a good cup. I make a lot of iced coffee for shabbos once its over 40-50 degrees outside. I use this new starbucks instant power that came out but it has micro ground coffee so we don't use it for hot but tastes good. Mt Hagen is one of the better instant brands and I also like these little bottles of instant espresso. I get one with a green lid.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 1:40 pm
As far as I know, Starbucks via is not ok on shabbos because of the microgrounds. I am into coffee and no, I don’t have a good shabbos alternative to my pour over. Cold brew can be ok but I still miss my hot drink.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 1:43 pm
amother Cadetblue wrote:
As far as I know, Starbucks via is not ok on shabbos because of the microgrounds. I am into coffee and no, I don’t have a good shabbos alternative to my pour over. Cold brew can be ok but I still miss my hot drink.

This re Starbucks via.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 1:57 pm
What's wrong with instant coffee?

mom37

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 2:02 pm
We make fresh coffee erev Shabbos and put in thermos to have Shabbos morning. It stays hot.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note