Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Moving to Lakewood - what to know
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 3:54 pm
I'm European, moving to Lakewood after Pesach. I got married recently and live in my hometown until now and moving there as dh is from there (as well as the yeshiva).
What will be helpful for me to know.
Thank you!

amother
Daffodil

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 3:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm European, moving to Lakewood after Pesach. I got married recently and live in my hometown until now and moving there as dh is from there (as well as the yeshiva).
What will be helpful for me to know.
Thank you!

It might be helpful to be mindful of the time difference and realize that it's still Shabbos in Lakewood and you might get more responses if you post tomorrow afternoon;-)

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 4:19 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:
It might be helpful to be mindful of the time difference and realize that it's still Shabbos in Lakewood and you might get more responses if you post tomorrow afternoon;-)

Fair point!

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 4:29 pm
Depends where in Europe you are from - but if u don't drive, you need to get a license asap

Its practically impossible to live in Lakewood without driving...

amother
IndianRed

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 5:23 pm
Hi OP. Just wanted to wish you a big Mazel Tov on your recent marriage! I am not from Lakewood, but I assume it would help to connect to others that live there that are European when you move there. It will ease the ''loneliness and hardships'' of moving away from home. Wishing you Hatzlocha in all!

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 5:34 pm
Do you know where you're going to live?

Will you be working?

amother
Mintgreen

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 5:52 pm
Hi op, I’m from Lakewood and I now live in Europe. What do you want to know? Are you from the UK?

Orangehead

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 7:51 pm
Do you have specific questions?

cupcake123

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 8:24 pm
We're looking forward to having you! Do you know anyone? I hope your transition is easy.

mamaleh

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 10:38 pm
Do you know what neighborhood you’ll be living in? You said your husband is from here, do you have in-laws here? Sisters-in-law?

amother
DarkViolet

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 8:26 am
My daughter bh got married and moved to Lakewood this year from oot U.S. She hasn’t made any new friends yet (in fairness, she hasn’t really tried because it’s shana rishona and she’s wrapped up in her chosson), but the impression I get from her is that the young couples in her development keep to themselves. She hasn’t made friends at work yet either because everyone’s busy. My recommendation based on my friends who have married kids in Lakewood is to try to start out in a friendly area that has lots of young couples your type, even if that means having an older, smaller apartment.

imasinger

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 8:38 am
Mazel tov!

Can you ask DH to talk to his friends/chevrusos, and see if anyone has a wife or a sister that you can call?

amother
Blueberry

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 8:49 am
I think that couples who live in basement apartments don’t make new friends very easily. Some couples are fine with that because they have each other and some relatives. If you move to a “yeshiva apartment” there is a lot more social life. Even if you don’t want to become friendly with anyone you will still see people as you come and go and neighbors will knock on your door to borrow things. It’s very quiet in a basement apartment. The basements are usually larger and newer but there is no social life. If you already have a few friends and relatives in Lakewood, you might be fine with it. If you don’t know anyone and you would like to meet people then I would recommend moving into a yeshiva apartment.
There’s lots of shopping here both for clothing and food. When you choose an area to live I can recommend good stores near you.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 4:25 pm
amother Blueberry wrote:
I think that couples who live in basement apartments don’t make new friends very easily. Some couples are fine with that because they have each other and some relatives. If you move to a “yeshiva apartment” there is a lot more social life. Even if you don’t want to become friendly with anyone you will still see people as you come and go and neighbors will knock on your door to borrow things. It’s very quiet in a basement apartment. The basements are usually larger and newer but there is no social life. If you already have a few friends and relatives in Lakewood, you might be fine with it. If you don’t know anyone and you would like to meet people then I would recommend moving into a yeshiva apartment.
There’s lots of shopping here both for clothing and food. When you choose an area to live I can recommend good stores near you.

This is very helpful, thank you so much!

I have 1 friend and dhs family but I don't really know them yet. I would very much like to make new friends so this is really good to keep in mind.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 4:26 pm
imasinger wrote:
Mazel tov!

Can you ask DH to talk to his friends/chevrusos, and see if anyone has a wife or a sister that you can call?

I would definitely want that but I don't want to feel like a nebach case.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 4:28 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:
Do you know where you're going to live?

Will you be working?

I will work, don't have a job yet. And not sure where we'll be living either.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 4:28 pm
amother Mintgreen wrote:
Hi op, I’m from Lakewood and I now live in Europe. What do you want to know? Are you from the UK?

Anything that would help me!
Yes I'm from the UK..

mamaleh

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 4:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
This is very helpful, thank you so much!

I have 1 friend and dhs family but I don't really know them yet. I would very much like to make new friends so this is really good to keep in mind.

Not necessarily yeshiva apartments, just an apartment building as opposed to a basement.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 5:13 pm
Welcome!
I married someone from the uk and now we live in Lakewood. I’m originally from Lakewood. What kind of community are you a part of, which area of Lakewood would you live in?
One thing that English women do differently than Lakewood is the working situation. My English sister in laws don’t work much, and do much more socializing when they shop, by the park, etc. in Lakewood, most of your social life will be at work- so choose a job accordingly!
Also- get ready for the culture shock 😜

cm123

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 8:15 pm
mamaleh wrote:
Not necessarily yeshiva apartments, just an apartment building as opposed to a basement.

Or a townhouse-type development with most of the basements rented out (yesodei, prospect vibes, ocean pointe)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries