Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Why don’t we eat kfp bread/challah
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 9:02 am
So many pesach recipes out there. I’m surprised no one figured out how to make something with matzah meal . Personally I only use shmura matzah meal so everything turns brownish but I would still be curious to see how it comes out.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 9:03 am
Who is "we"? I know many people who eat gebrokts and make bagels on chol hamoed.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 9:05 am
Yes in Hotels they serve rolls.

Cant really make challahs cos dont think you can use yeast or let ur dough rise.

Cakes, biscuits crackers all fine.

I think anything we can make , there is out there.

amother
Yellow

We do... my MIL makes amazing "pesach rolls".

watergirl

My husband makes pesach rolls (shmura matza meal so they are super brown) every year. He loves to put cream cheese and lox on them. I personally have to be really hungry to eat them, but he really looks forward to it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 9:10 am
I heard about the bagels.
So interesting about the rolls. Can you imagine coming to a yom Tov Seuda and washing on rolls instead of matza?
If anyone has a good recipe for rolls with matza meal I would be interested. Can you make one big roll/challah instead of small rolls?

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 9:14 am
amother OP wrote:
So interesting about the rolls. Can you imagine coming to a yom Tov Seuda and washing on rolls instead of matza?
If anyone has a good recipe for rolls with matza meal I would be interested. Can you make one big roll/challah instead of small rolls?

Dont think theyr so tasty.

Would rather have matza and keep those for chol hamoed.

Iv never had bagels or bought any of this stuff but Im sure you can get good stuff.

amother
Poppy

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 9:14 am
amother OP wrote:

No, why?
Matza is yum. It's pesach personified.
Any fake bread/rolls tastes pesachdig & not as good.
So again, why??
Also, matza is a mitzvah.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 9:18 am
amother OP wrote:

Why would you do that? It's just not in the spirit of pesach.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 9:19 am
amother OP wrote:

They're not so special. They taste like baked knaidels/matzah balls.
We do like them, don't get me wrong. But we'll only make them once on chol hamoed to eat as buns with burgers and freeze the rest to warm up in the morning for cream cheese and pickles (won't taste good if left overnight, not even in fridge)
They are flat and chewy not fluffy.
You can't make one big roll lol it will be tough and flat like a jumbo cookie. Small and quick is the way to go and needs to be eaten right away.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 9:20 am
I had them by Pesach programs and they are gross. The pizza is decent though (probably because of the cheese and sauce).

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 9:38 am
Maybe the sourdough ladies will figure out a way.

teachkids

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 9:39 am
amother OP wrote:
Maybe the sourdough ladies will figure out a way.

Sourdough is chometz…

amother
Raspberry

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 9:42 am
You can’t wash on them most are made out of potato starch. How is matza meal more kosher than potato starch in pesach?

amother
Raspberry

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 9:43 am
amother OP wrote:

How can you wash on them? If it’s ok to wash on then it would be chometz.

amother
Eggshell

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 10:19 am
I'm philosophically opposed to fake-chometz foods. I do make baked goods, because what's a YT without sweet treats to go with tea, but I give blintzes, lasagna, lokshen kugel, pizza, pasta,"Cheerios" and so on a hard pass. Aside from the fact that many of these products are utterly tasteless and even more so because they don't match expectations, it's Pesach for gosh sakes. We can survive for a week without pizza and pasta. I could never understand people who race out of the house the minute Pesach is over to buy bread or pizza.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 10:20 am
amother Raspberry wrote:
How can you wash on them? If it’s ok to wash on then it would be chometz.

Really?
What if I figure out how to make a roll out of shmura matzah meal and water? You can’t wash on it?

watergirl

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 10:30 am
amother OP wrote:

To my knowledge, all pesach rolls and bagels are mezonos.

amother
Gardenia

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 10:33 am
amother OP wrote:
Really?
What if I figure out how to make a roll out of shmura matzah meal and water? You can’t wash on it?

I believe that once you grind the matza & mix it with water it would be mezonos. Also, most Pesach rolls also have eggs, so even more of a shayla.

I do make cake/cookies with matza meal so that we can have mezonos for kiddush.

watergirl

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 10:34 am
amother Cyan wrote:
They're not so special. They taste like baked knaidels/matzah balls.
We do like them, don't get me wrong. But we'll only make them once on chol hamoed to eat as buns with burgers and freeze the rest to warm up in the morning for cream cheese and pickles (won't taste good if left overnight, not even in fridge)
They are flat and chewy not fluffy.
You can't make one big roll lol it will be tough and flat like a jumbo cookie. Small and quick is the way to go and needs to be eaten right away.

Make sure to really whip the egg whites and fold it in properly, then the rolls will get some height and be airy and less dense.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics