Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Nap training

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 2:32 pm
DD is 5 months and has always BH been an ok night sleeper. I nurse to sleep and she wakes up 1-2 times and goes right back to sleep after a feed.

But NAPSSS. The endless rocking will be the end of me. I need to do this for my sanity. Not to mention that she only sleeps for 40 mins at a time.

What are some gentle methods that have worked for you? I feel like I'm going insane.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 4:13 pm
Sleeping 40 minutes is normal at this age. She won't nurse to sleep?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 4:17 pm
amother Aquamarine wrote:
Sleeping 40 minutes is normal at this age. She won't nurse to sleep?

I'd rather not during the day.

mushkamothers

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 4:23 pm
Truth? Do whatever you want and in a few weeks she'll be over it.
It's the 4-5 month sleep regression (progression) and it's a developmental leap. If people do methods, then did the methods work or is it that by the time they gave the methods 2 weeks to work, the period was over?
My 1st baby I did every single technique and I watched those naps like a hawk.
My 2nd baby I couldn't so I just ignored him. Want to sleep sure. Want to wake up, okay whatever. Nurse, not nurse, who cares. He was all over the place and then around 6m we got back onto a schedule.
Now I don't bother with this at all (for the next 2 kids) and as long as nighttime sleep is okay I just wing it with the naps.

mushkamothers

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 4:25 pm
One thing I do, is crib time. For example if the nap is supposed to be 9-11 and they wake up at 9:45 then keep them in the crib for as long as possible until they fuss or cry. Like keep it nap time. (This is not foolproof at all, it's just one gentle method)

I also have no problem nursing back to sleep. Even for a nap. There's no such thing as bad habits.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 4:49 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'd rather not during the day.

You don't want to nurse to sleep, but the endless rocking is driving you to insanity, then what do you want to do??
Why don't you want to nurse to sleep? That's what infants are supposed to be doing. It may make the baby take a longer nap.
Maybe give a pacifier, if baby doesn't take one yet.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 5:42 pm
I walk around the house. Find it less tedious than back and forth rocking

tichellady

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 5:56 pm
My kids only start to take good naps Around 6 or 7 months and then I napbtrain them but I wait until I see they can actually take longer naps

sarahph1

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 6:02 pm
Taking Cara babies!!!
S.I.T.B.A.C.K.
It taught my babies by 2.5 months to put themselves to sleep and connect sleep cycles
It’s not sleep training with the crying it just teaches them good habits
It’s amazing
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics