Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
No pumping room at work
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 4:07 pm
I go back to work this week and ill be pumping iyh. I work in a yeshiva but theres no pumping room, just a bathroom. its really gross and smelly especially since the bathrooms are shared with male and female teachers. theres also only a flimsy folding chair. any ideas for what I can do? just suck it up?

scruffy

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 4:08 pm
I think you should ask even though it's awkward. It's not sanitary to pump in a bathroom, and you'll also be occupying it for a long amount of time. Maybe there's an office not currently in use in the building?

Beautiful

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 4:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
I go back to work this week and ill be pumping iyh. I work in a yeshiva but theres no pumping room, just a bathroom. its really gross and smelly especially since the bathrooms are shared with male and female teachers. theres also only a flimsy folding chair. any ideas for what I can do? just suck it up?

If you're in the US they are legally required to provide you with a room that is NOT a bathroom for you to pump.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 4:11 pm
scruffy wrote:
I think you should ask even though it's awkward. It's not sanitary to pump in a bathroom, and you'll also be occupying it for a long amount of time. Maybe there's an office not currently in use in the building?

there are 3 toilets in total. Thats the other issue. Its happened where I have had to use the restroom and had to wait outside until one was available, and if it wasnt I just ran to my lesson and held it in. I cant do that with pumping since I have a set time to pump in my schedule now. My friend told me she asked the principal and he said other teachers have used the bathroom and arent complaining and there isnt anything available for pumping

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 4:12 pm
Beautiful wrote:
If you're in the US they are legally required to provide you with a room that is NOT a bathroom for you to pump.

I work in a yeshiva they dont really care honestly.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 5:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
I work in a yeshiva they dont really care honestly.

Tell them they have 3 choices- find you an office to pump in, give you a long enough break to go home to pump, or get the government involved. They’ll find you a room.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 5:06 pm
If pumping is important to you then you should speak up. They are literally breaking state and federal laws if they only give you a bathroom. Sorry but that’s gross. I would rather pump in a janitors close. All you need is an outlet. You can technically sit on the floor.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 5:10 pm
Tell the you either get a room to pump in or you pump in the classroom

GLUE

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 5:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
there are 3 toilets in total. Thats the other issue. Its happened where I have had to use the restroom and had to wait outside until one was available, and if it wasnt I just ran to my lesson and held it in. I cant do that with pumping since I have a set time to pump in my schedule now. My friend told me she asked the principal and he said other teachers have used the bathroom and arent complaining and there isnt anything available for pumping

I never trust someone in a school that says "You are the only one who has a problem"
Learned from experience.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 7:36 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
Tell them they have 3 choices- find you an office to pump in, give you a long enough break to go home to pump, or get the government involved. They’ll find you a room.

I live 30 minutes from school so it is not feasible for me to go back and forth. I do not even know who to speak to honestly. There are a bunch of principals, office administers, secretaries. They have a small room they put lunch for teachers in but I don't know if it is selfish if I use that room for 20 minutes to pump.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 7:38 pm
amother Mint wrote:
Tell the you either get a room to pump in or you pump in the classroom

I am not a teacher I am a setss provider in the school, so I do not even have my own office. I share a room with other therapists (OT, PT etc) or else I would use my office. There are no classrooms since the Rebbeim use them.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 7:40 pm
amother Tanzanite wrote:
If pumping is important to you then you should speak up. They are literally breaking state and federal laws if they only give you a bathroom. Sorry but that’s gross. I would rather pump in a janitors close. All you need is an outlet. You can technically sit on the floor.

I guess I could pump in my car but it isnt so tznius how would I even manage? I work in a neighborhood that is very busy and people are always walking by the streets.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 7:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
I am not a teacher I am a setss provider in the school, so I do not even have my own office. I share a room with other therapists (OT, PT etc) or else I would use my office. There are no classrooms since the Rebbeim use them.

So that’s more complicated then you’re not actually their employee.

Can you set up some sort of wall/barrier/ curtain around an area of the room for yourself?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 7:48 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
So that’s more complicated then you’re not actually their employee.

Can you set up some sort of wall/barrier/ curtain around an area of the room for yourself?

I thought of that but the ceilings are too high for me to do that unfortunately. I guess my only choice is being in the bathroom or using my car. I dont know how I would pump discreetly in the car though

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 7:50 pm
amother Tanzanite wrote:

You may not even need an outlet. You can get a portable charger.

amother
Calendula

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 7:54 pm
Not a lawyer but had this struggle.
Are you employed or an independent contractor? Ie- W2 or 1099 at the most basic level. If you are a 1099, then it is up to you to figure it out. You can pump in the car if you get a pump with a car outlet or that runs on battery. Get a giant cover and do in the backseat. I nursed in the past in the backseat (car wasn't on obviously).

If you are a w2 then your employer must find an option for you by law. Even if you "are the only one". It cannot be a bathroom. My boss gave up his office for the 30 minutes I needed when I had no other option. He was very discreet and tzniyus about it. It's not a school but there weren't other private spaces available. And only 1 staff bathroom so even if I was willing I couldnt use it. I just knocked on his door at the same time every day (we made it work) and he just left. I texted him when I was out and done.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 7:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
I thought of that but the ceilings are too high for me to do that unfortunately. I guess my only choice is being in the bathroom or using my car. I dont know how I would pump discreetly in the car though

I pump while driving all the time. The difference is I'm pumping for my fifth kid so I'm more comfortable but here's what I do and maybe it'll help

I assemble my pumping parts at home and keep them in a cooler bag with an ice pack, when I get in the car I put on a 360 poncho type nursing cover and a clip on pumping bra that attaches to the front of my regular nursing bra. I put the pump parts in the bra and peek through the top to maneuver it into a comfortable position. I plug in the pump and let it go until I'm done. When I'm done, I put bottle covers on the bottles and put my dirty parts in a Ziploc bag and put everything back in thr cooler bag. I divide the milk into bags at home because spilling milk in the car is not fun. I always keep paper towels, milk bags, a duckbill and an extra bottle cover in my bag in case I forget something.

amother
Cherry

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 8:00 pm
OP I think it’s time to learn to really stand up for yourself. Send an email if that will make it easier to handle the confrontation, and actually it can be helpful to you in having written proof if they flat out deny your request. The next step if would be to reach out to your state’s department of labor, hours and wages division, to make a formal complaint and let them make the school comply.

Email the secretary and CC all of the principals and administrators. Whoever is the one who needs to make the arrangements will see the email, it’s not your job to figure out who has to make the arrangements.

Dear Mrs. Secretary,

If you could please forward this email to the appropriate department that will take care these arrangements, as I’m not sure who handles these scenarios.

I am due in one weeks time, and I have yet to be informed of where I will be able to pump. State and federal law require you to make available to me a private room, which cannot be a bathroom, for this purpose.

I am hoping to resolve this oversight quickly as I will soon be returning to work. Please confirm once arrangements have been made.

Thank you, and looking forward to returning on xyz.

If they respond that they have nowhere to give you (not your problem) or that you are the only person who needs it (again, not your problem), you can respond like this-

Thank you for your reply. I understand it will be difficult to make these arrangements, but it is necessary. Please let me know if this will be an issue, so I can reach out to (insert name of your states director) at the DOL to help resolve this matter promptly.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 8:12 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:

Offer to pump while teaching lol

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 8:48 pm
If you choose to pump in your car. Switch into a hoodie first then put this coverup on top. You can get car adapters to plug your pump in

https://a.co/d/g2iNvpp
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics