Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
A lot of chicken and meat recipes call for wine - what type?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 6:52 pm
We don’t drink wine, just for Friday night kiddush.
I was looking through some cookbooks and see many have white or red wine in them, what kind of wine should I get? It’s my first year making full Pesach (in the past I just did chol hamoed and of course the year of Covid)

amother
Alyssum

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 7:05 pm
For red choose Kedem Marsala.

Or you can choose the cheapest cabernet sauvignon you find for red wine. If you like a lighter flavor use merlot.

For white wine in cooking, choose Kedem Chablis which is even cheaper.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 7:18 pm
Wine refers to either dry red wine or dry white wine in cooking unless it's specifically stated something else.

amother
Blushpink

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 7:45 pm
It's like anything & is very relative to taste, what you & your family are into. It depends on how much you & your fam care about nuances in cooking, budget too -

Like some will use nicer wines that they'd actually enjoy drinking. Wheras some aren't so particular & "into food" & you can be "yotzei" so to speak just fine in my opinion with the "cooking wine" selection generally sold near kosher vinegars etc.

Recipes will often specify white or red, might specify sweet or dry. Depending on recipe I think there's fair wiggle room

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 7:56 pm
The advice normally given is to use a wine that you would enjoy drinking

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 8:01 pm
amother Starflower wrote:
The advice normally given is to use a wine that you would enjoy drinking

We use cheap kiddush wine Friday night lol like matuk kal

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 8:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
We use cheap kiddush wine Friday night lol like matuk kal

🤮 not ideal and it’s got loads of sugar that doesn’t always compliment the recipe

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 8:35 pm
I just use whatever I have in the house. Usually kedem naturally sweet Concord grape. But when it’s yt time and we have other wines (dh is into wine) I’ll also use dry ones that we have for recipes.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 3:30 am
A warning regarding cooking wine: When you use wine in cooking the taste becomes more concentrated so make sure wine is drinkable!
The whole thing with cooking wine is just another trick of selling and marketing wine which probably are blends of heaven's know what.
If instruction calls for Muskat wine please don't try to substitute with a "sweetened wine". I did that some years ago simmering quinces for hours and hours. Never again!

amother
PlumPink

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 5:17 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
A warning regarding cooking wine: When you use wine in cooking the taste becomes more concentrated so make sure wine is drinkable!
The whole thing with cooking wine is just another trick of selling and marketing wine which probably are blends of heaven's know what.
If instruction calls for Muskat wine please don't try to substitute with a "sweetened wine". I did that some years ago simmering quinces for hours and hours. Never again!

Cooking wine is wine with salt which makes it not be taxable.

There is no reason to use expensive wine for cooking. The purpose of wine in meat recipes is the alcohol in the wine breaks down the meat fibers and makes it softer and more tender.

amother
Iris

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 6:11 am
Don’t use cheap cooking wine that you find in the supermarket near the vinegars. It’s awful. There are so many wines on the market it can get confusing. Your best bet is to ask for help at the wine store. It’s a waste to cook a $30 bottle but a waste of a good roast or chicken to use cheap cooking wine. I’ve definitely noticed the difference a good wine adds to meat and poultry dishes.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 6:27 am
amother PlumPink wrote:
Cooking wine is wine with salt which makes it not be taxable.

There is no reason to use expensive wine for cooking. The purpose of wine in meat recipes is the alcohol in the wine breaks down the meat fibers and makes it softer and more tender.
Wine adds taste too!

amother
SandyBrown

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:01 am
I started using tuscanini cooking wine. Comes in red and white and works every time
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics