Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Cutting wigs from Amazon/Ali etc

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 10:11 pm
All of the poster recommending buying wigs from Amazon or Ali etc.: who do you use to trim the wigs?
I found some wigs I like but they need to be trimmed a bit to frame my face a bit better or the "split ends".
Most SM in my area will not service wigs they don't sell.
I don't know how to cut it myself.

I'm in Brooklyn.

Ideas and suggestions appreciated.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 12:34 pm
Bumping this up because I have the same question

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 12:35 pm
Why cant you bring it to your Sheitel Macher for this?

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 12:38 pm
I assume you mean synthetic hair wigs, not human hair.

Any sharp scissors will do.

My experience is you end up getting a new wig. The set in synthetic wigs is baked in permanently when they are made. You can certainly cut the hair. But it won't lie down right because of the original set.

But sometimes yes it DOES work.

Go on YouTube and look for videos about 'how to trim your own bangs.' You will see the back-and-forth motion of the scissors, as she saws away. That makes a natural looking edge, not a chopped off edge.

Maybe.

You can also use a small barrette, to make the wig do what you want and lie down where you want.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 12:43 pm
Ask multiple sheitelmachers in your area till you find one willing to cut for you.
They will not take responsibility for the quality of the wig but they'll make money on the cutting service. It might be worth for a beginner stylist that's looking to get more practice and won't be crazy expensive.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 6:35 pm
a wig or fall that you wear a headband over or a hat on top is easiest. once you start with a wig that has to fit your head exactly, you might end up having to take it in plus not many of them have ear tabs so once the lace comes off, your hair on the sides won't be covered.

if taking it in cost a hundred bucks and the cut another hundred or more, I don't know if it pays. certainly not if it has to be dyed which must be a couple hundred dollars.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 4:15 pm
I'm not looking for major work on the wig. I like the style of it but it's a bit too long and has "split ends".(Maybe on purpose as a feature, or maybe because it's cheap quality.)
I was wondering what everybody else is doing. Do they just wear it as is out of the package?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels