Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
What age is old enough to play in backyard on their own?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:19 am
I live in a basement so I can't actually see the backyard from my apartment. The backyard is not fully closed off. Would you let a responsible four year old play in the backyard without a parent watching?

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:22 am
No. My yard is enclosed and I can see from my first floor windows. But without an enclosure and a view I wouldn't let. My youngest is 3. I have let my kids play outside as young as 2 if an older child is keeping an eye on them.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:23 am
I would definitely go check on them every 10 minutes or so

613mitzvahgirl

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:23 am
I would not let a four year old, no matter how responsible they seem. I’m sorry. We live in a very crazy world right now. I didn’t let my youngest until he was 9- yes you heard right. You can call me paranoid, but better safe than sorry.

mommyla

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:24 am
Absolutely not.
My 5-year-old plays in my fully enclosed yard while I watch from inside. I would never allow a that age to play outside alone in your setup.

mha3484

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:27 am
4 is too young and I am pretty laid back. I have a child that was always very timid and fearful. Like you told him to not leave the grass and he stayed on it. Not impulsive until the day he wasn't and it was a very very scary experience. BH it worked out okay but was terrifying and I learned a big lesson.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:29 am
amother OP wrote:
I live in a basement so I can't actually see the backyard from my apartment. The backyard is not fully closed off. Would you let a responsible four year old play in the backyard without a parent watching?

Absolutely not.
A 4 year old is a 4 year old, and needs supervision. Regardless of how responsible you think they are.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:30 am
Ok. What age would you say is safe? It's a very quiet street if that makes a difference

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:30 am
amother OP wrote:
I would definitely go check on them every 10 minutes or so

Nope. A 4 year old needs constant supervision. Throughout the spring & summer, I set up my days & schedule so I can spend the afternoon supervising my kids outside.

mha3484

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:33 am
amother OP wrote:
Ok. What age would you say is safe? It's a very quiet street if that makes a difference

I would let a non impulsive 7-8 year play in the yard with someone checking on them. Statistically your more likely to be abducted by a family member or someone familiar to you. So that isn't my concern its more an impulsive kid who runs into the street that I would be concerned about.

amother
Canary

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:34 am
4 is too young, even with an enclosed yard. You really can't be sure that they won't run after a ball that rolls into the street. I would let at that age with a sibling who's at least 2-3 years older, but not alone.

amother
Phlox

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:40 am
4 year old? no way.

I let my 9 year old play in the backyard alone, not younger.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:44 am
Not before age 8, depending on the child.

Cookin4days

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:44 am
amother OP wrote:

Doesn’t make a difference at all, within 10 minutes anything can happen no matter how quiet a street is

amother
Glitter

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 11:46 am
I let at like 4 or 5, BUT yard is gated and I only do it if I can watch them from the window the whole time. They can only go out alone at like 6 (again gated and I still spot check on them).

Front yard, which is open I wait until they are older. If with a friend, I will let by 7 or 8, but alone more like 8 or 9.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers