Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Help! 1 month old with reflux doesnt stay asleep.
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 2:48 pm
Ladies I am EXHAUSTED.
Now this is my second child w reflux and I already have him inclined, and on a probiotic and changed his formula. But this ds really does not sleep!!! After a Long long long time of getting him to fall asleep, he wakes up and cries after 15 minutes. He is crankky obviously because of it. And I dont blame him lol. I am hesistant to go for the meds route because after trying with my first reflux baby, and changing it and combining etc.. I ended up just taking him off since I saw no significant difference. Any and all advice from more experienced moms welcome!! For my other child it stopped only after 1 and honestly hes still not the best sleeper. Anyway- pls help!!!
Thank you!!

amother
Holly

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 2:51 pm
Try raising the head of the mattress so the baby is laying at an angle.
My severe reflux baby, slept in the car seat (not doona) for the first couple of months. (As per pediatricians recommendation.)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 3:16 pm
Ive elevated everything and tried car seat. But the minute he has to reflux or hiccup or gags or has gas he wakes up and takes forever to go back.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 3:24 pm
Try putting him down on his side instead. Also, try feeding him in a seated position with the bottle horizontal. Have him evaluated for tongue tie/suck issues. And consider switching formulas.

amother
Dahlia

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 3:33 pm
give him 3 ml of mylanta
if you see results then get meds from dr continue using mylanta until meds kick in

bnm

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 3:38 pm
Get the meds. My kid wouldn't sleep if we stopped the meds and would skip feedings.

amother
Daffodil

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 4:05 pm
Try craniosacral therapy by someone who specializes in infants

amother
Amaryllis

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 6:47 pm
I am with you sister. I just had my second baby and he has insane acid reflux also. I tried everything with my first, switched formulas, did alternative medicine, elevated his head. Nothing worked! It’s nuts. Let’s getting me through this time is that I know that it’s a temporary stage and it will get better one day. But it’s so so hard.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 8:09 pm
bnm wrote:
Get the meds. My kid wouldn't sleep if we stopped the meds and would skip feedings.

Id get the meds if he skipped feeds but he doesnt. Bh bh hes gaining nicely. And I never saw any improvement w meds with my other and it was so much guesswork for lack of better terms. But if it gets to that I definitely would.

amother
Milk

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 8:24 pm
Did you ever try prevacid or you were just sticking with the basics like pepcid?

amother
Maize

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 8:30 pm
Get breast milk from a milk bank. They have kosher milk banks.

mom789

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 8:45 pm
Same!! I am also exhausted from not getting any stretch of sleep due to reflux… I do find that he must must stay straight up (I hold him) for at least half an hr after each feeding. And I burp him very very often during feedings more than normal and that helps a drop… I also daven that this should be my tzaar gidul banim! It makes it easier Smile

mom789

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 8:46 pm
Same!! I am also exhausted from not getting any stretch of sleep due to reflux… I do find that he must must stay straight up (I hold him) for at least half an hr after each feeding. And I burp him very very often during feedings more than normal and that helps a drop… I also daven that this should be my tzaar gidul banim! It makes it easier Smile

bnm

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 8:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
Id get the meds if he skipped feeds but he doesnt. Bh bh hes gaining nicely. And I never saw any improvement w meds with my other and it was so much guesswork for lack of better terms. But if it gets to that I definitely would.

You said he isn't sleeping. That isn't nothing. Unfortunately I have too much experience with infants and reflux. Each of my kids presented a different way.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 9:46 pm
bnm wrote:
You said he isn't sleeping. That isn't nothing. Unfortunately I have too much experience with infants and reflux. Each of my kids presented a different way.

Can I ask which meds helped? I just had so much hope for my previous child and they just kept trying different doses, then a different one. Then a combinatiion and it was futile. So im curious what you had success with

bnm

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 10:17 pm
Each kid was a different combo. One kid was on special formula plus zantac and prevacid and mylanta as needed. Another one Prevacid twice a day was enough.

amother
Lotus

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 5:50 pm
Other things to consider: Could be overfeeding. Or sensitivity/intolerance to dairy

justforfun87

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 6:28 pm
Do you cosleep or are you trying to get him to sleep in his own crib?

amother
Chocolate

Post Sat, Mar 16 2024, 9:17 pm
Get the meds. Personally meds helped him not shreik from pain but still no sleep. He is four months old.

amother
Melon

Post Sat, Mar 16 2024, 9:41 pm
Get off dairy, gluten, chocolate, coffee
Take digestive enzymes and bile support
Put magnesium lotion on baby's feet and mag flakes in their bath
Multi strain probiotic for baby multiple times a day
Slippery Elm for baby
Check for tongue tie!! Huge cause of reflux
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics