Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Taking kids to park after school
1  2  3  Next

Do you take your kids to the park after school?
Usually (more than once a week)  
 23%  [ 31 ]
No/rarely  
 51%  [ 68 ]
Every so often/at least once a week  
 25%  [ 33 ]
Total Votes : 132

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 5:17 pm
Are you one of those good mommies who takes your kids to the park after school? It is so tiring. I used to sometimes but stopped.
This is of course talking about good weather days

mha3484

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 5:19 pm
We don't do the park but we do play outside. We live at the park on shabbos though. My boys have a lot of energy to burn so being outside is way easier on me then being inside.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 5:32 pm
I used to when I had 1 or 2 Littles. Now kah I have a brood, with diff buses at diff times. It doesn't work out. We sit out with neighbors and they play in front of the house. Parks are now for shbs and Sundays.

stillnewlywed

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 5:35 pm
Yes I do! But I have to make sure to prep snacks and drinks in the morning. As long as no one is thirsty and hungry it's much easier at the park than at home. We go to different parks and meet up with different friends.

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 5:39 pm
Packing up and driving to a park is too much for me at that point. I have hw to make children do.... I have supper to make.... I was out all day too. I am too tired at that point.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 5:41 pm
Not anymore because we have a swing set in our backyard, but we used to do one or two days a week, the rest are still spent outside just at home (chalk, bubbles, gardening, toys etc)

teachkids

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 5:42 pm
Only the first few days when the weather is a novelty, then once a week if we’re lucky- but they play in our yard daily

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 5:45 pm
Call me a bad mom but I don't take my kids to the park and I don't even sit outside with them.

I work a whole day and come home together with the kids. Firstly, I'm exhausted at that point. I don't have energy to sit outside and watch my 2 year old like a hawk and chase after her so that she doesn't run into the street.

Secondly, I don't have the luxury of sitting outside and doing nothing. I need to to cook dinner, do laundry, clean, cook for shabbos starting wed (I work friday). I can't leave the housework till after the kids are in bed because I'm usually crashing by them

I have a neighbor who has 6 hours of cleaning help every day plus often buys takeout. So of course she can sit outside all afternoon.

I do take my kids to the park on Shabbos afternoon, and Sundays in the summer we go to parks

I HATE that we changed the clock. It was do much easier when it got dark earlier.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 6:15 pm
At least once a week. We live in a city without lots of place to play, so its important for them to be able to run around and climb….
I have to add that I hate living in the city. Our dream is to move to a place where we can have an outdoor space big enough for a swing/slide set. Then would not have to go to the park so often!

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 6:16 pm
I take issue with your use of the term "good mommies." While a park outing after school sounds fabulous, you imply that someone one who doesn't take her kids to a park after school is not a good parent. I resent that, and so do all moms who are excellent parents with excellent reasons for not doing so, chief among them being all the other things that need to be done between dismissal and bedtime, including homework, dinner, and baths. Not to mention that for some kids, carpool or school bus eats up a good chunk of their after school time.

amother
Daffodil

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 6:18 pm
I live a two minute walk from the park so we go quite often, however this week when everyone is so excited to be out the park is full and my kids weren’t happy so we went to play with a neighbor in their backyard (dw we have permission)

amother
Poinsettia

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 6:20 pm
Either you have to take the children out or you have to live in a place away from trafic where children can be independent in a clearly defined area and have their own social life outside.

but children need to be able to play outside and move.

Anything else is unhealthy.

Doctors complain that children today do not know how to do a forward roll any more. They spend too much time with screens and not enough time running around, exploring how they can move their own bodies.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 6:21 pm
stillnewlywed wrote:
Yes I do! But I have to make sure to prep snacks and drinks in the morning. As long as no one is thirsty and hungry it's much easier at the park than at home. We go to different parks and meet up with different friends.

I'm guessing your screen name needs to be updated Hi

amother
Lily

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 6:22 pm
Those that take their kids to the park every day after school, I’m assuming you don’t work? I work full time and come home the same time as the kids. So after school I’m busy cooking, cleaning, doing homework with the kids etc. I wish I had time to take them to the park

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 6:24 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
Call me a bad mom but I don't take my kids to the park and I don't even sit outside with them.

I work a whole day and come home together with the kids. Firstly, I'm exhausted at that point. I don't have energy to sit outside and watch my 2 year old like a hawk and chase after her so that she doesn't run into the street.

Secondly, I don't have the luxury of sitting outside and doing nothing. I need to to cook dinner, do laundry, clean, cook for shabbos starting wed (I work friday). I can't leave the housework till after the kids are in bed because I'm usually crashing by them

I have a neighbor who has 6 hours of cleaning help every day plus often buys takeout. So of course she can sit outside all afternoon.

I do take my kids to the park on Shabbos afternoon, and Sundays in the summer we go to parks

I HATE that we changed the clock. It was do much easier when it got dark earlier.

I totally get it. I really push myself to let my kids spend a few hours inside (also work full time and no cleaning help/or takeout) each day. But I don’t think I’m a better mother because of it and I don’t think anyone who doesn’t is doing anything remotely wrong. Everyone should do what works for them, at the end of the day a functioning mom is the goal. There are days im too tired to stay up after bedtime to do all my housework, so I have the kids stay inside. I don’t feel at all guilty because the alternative is me being overtired, cranky and impatient the next day instead, or the house flying and living in a dysfunctional mess. Life is a balance, I hate all the judgments like one way is the only correct way to do something

amother
Daffodil

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 6:26 pm
amother Lily wrote:
Those that take their kids to the park every day after school, I’m assuming you don’t work? I work full time and come home the same time as the kids. So after school I’m busy cooking, cleaning, doing homework with the kids etc. I wish I had time to take them to the park

Nope I work and come home with my kids.
We come home so I can make supper- very simple. I do laundry and cleaning at night.
I only have littles so no homework. But yes I am exhausted but it’s so much better to be outside than inside

mha3484

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 6:38 pm
amother Lily wrote:

I work and get home after my kids. They need to burn off energy so its part of the schedule. I make crock pot dinners, meal prep on sundays and everything else manages to get done. But it makes everyones mood and behavior a billion times better after half an hour or hour outside.

amother
Lightgray

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 6:54 pm
I'm curious what do park mommies do about supper?
When does that get done?

Angel

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 6:57 pm
Yes cuz I live in a tiny BP apartement. Dont know how long will keep it u though.
I have supper ready before we leave, we don't go for more than 45 min.

teachkids

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 7:00 pm
amother Lily wrote:

I work fullish time (10-4) and come home with my kids. I prepare dinner the night before or in the morning- kids are happy with cold dinner when the weather is nice. And my kids are young enough there’s no hw yet.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics