Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
What do you do with the leftover bottled water in the urn

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 11:24 pm
we put bottled water, we can't use all the water because it can't go bellow the minimum. It sounds crazy but dh doesn't like to waste the bottled water.

melalyse

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 11:36 pm
Why do you put bottled water? We just keep adding water to our urn as needed.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 11:39 pm
melalyse wrote:

So water just sits in there week to week? Or you have it plugged in all week long?

We usually use most of ours. Whatever is left I let cool and then water the plants with.

amother
Freesia

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 11:42 pm
When you boil water it's basically sanitized and fit for drinking. Why use bottled? There's really nothing to do with that water once it's not hot...

Elfrida

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 1:41 am
Tip it out into a bucket, and have hot water to wash the floor motzei Shabbos.

We use filtered water in the urn, to.prevrnt calcium build up, but that's because Jerusalem has very hard water. I'm not sure what benefit you're getting from bottled water.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 5:57 am
Why not just put it into bottles and use it for drinking?
Why would you use bottled water though?

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 5:58 am
melalyse wrote:
You never empty your urn? There must be so much lime build up. You should really clean that out every once in a while.

Golde

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 6:28 am
We just use tap water so I throw it out after Shabbos. Also interested in why you use bottled water? Doesn't your urn boil the water properly first?

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 10:17 am
I would let it cool, bottle it and save it for the next time you fill the urn

miami85

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 10:28 am
amother Freesia wrote:
When you boil water it's basically sanitized and fit for drinking. Why use bottled? There's really nothing to do with that water once it's not hot...

Sink water can have mineral deposits that are not good for urns long-term. We have very hard water and I know people use bottle water to help preserve their urns.

We just keep our urn going throughout the week. Kids want hot chocolate, ramen noodles, etc.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 10:30 am
I wash the dishes with it after shabbos.

amother
Freesia

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 10:45 am
miami85 wrote:
Sink water can have mineral deposits that are not good for urns long-term. We have very hard water and I know people use bottle water to help preserve their urns.

We just keep our urn going throughout the week. Kids want hot chocolate, ramen noodles, etc.

I live in NY so maybe it's not an issue. I personally haven't seen anything go bad with our urns by using tap water. Why would it help to keep the urn going at all times?

I think OP has to decide what she cares about. Preserving her urn or wasting bottled water. Doesn't seem like both are worth thinking about.

amother
Latte

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 11:35 am
We live in upstate NY and we never use tap water in our urn. It creates mineral deposits and can cause kidney stones (my dh has a history.)

We keep ours plugged in all week for baby bottles and tea. We hardly ever empty it and it is clean as new inside. When we use tap water the walls turn powdery after two uses.

s1

Post Sat, Mar 16 2024, 7:21 pm
Pour it into the cholent pot and leave it to soak a bit, makes the pot super easy to clean! Any extra goes down the sink to clean the drains out.

miami85

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 12:53 pm
amother Freesia wrote:
I live in NY so maybe it's not an issue. I personally haven't seen anything go bad with our urns by using tap water. Why would it help to keep the urn going at all times?

I think OP has to decide what she cares about. Preserving her urn or wasting bottled water. Doesn't seem like both are worth thinking about.

Could be your water is filtered otherwise (because of copepods etc) so it's less of an issue.

Keeping it on all week means that you are using all of the water. If it dips below the usable line, you just add more.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 1:07 pm
amother Teal wrote:
So water just sits in there week to week? Or you have it plugged in all week long?

We usually use most of ours. Whatever is left I let cool and then water the plants with.

Our urn is unplugged during the week. The water stays from one week to the next, and we don’t always use up all or even most of the water over shabbos.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics