Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Is the RealReal legit?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 12:10 pm
Anyone ever bought there ? is it legit? Thanks!

asdfjkl;

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 12:12 pm
Yes

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 12:20 pm
Yes! Great resource

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 12:36 pm
It really depends what you are buying. Their authentication team is horrible and they have a lot of fakes. They will also knowingly sell fakes

I would stay away from any Hermes, Chanel, LV products all together

For other brands it depends on type of product. Gucci clothing is probably okay, Gucci bag I would not recommend

(Just examples)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 1:04 pm
Thanks loads for your help!

I'm not looking for designer. Just some clothing.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 2:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
Anyone ever bought there ? is it legit? Thanks!

Legit.
They are resellers, items must be considered second-hand.

watergirl

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 2:49 pm
Actually I’ll disagree. There are a ton of youtube videos on their horrible authenticating process.

I personally experienced this, while I was trying to buy a Michelle watch, and I saw all of the fakes on the website. Here is an example of a counterfeit that’s on the site right now.
https://www.therealreal.com/pr.....kn5yo

Another fake Michele- https://www.therealreal.com/pr.....kupgg

I actually fell for a counterfeit item on there, and was able to cancel it thankfully. But the item was not removed from the website.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 3:00 pm
watergirl wrote:
Actually I’ll disagree. There are a ton of youtube videos on their horrible authenticating process.

I personally experienced this, while I was trying to buy a Michelle watch, and I saw all of the fakes on the website. Here is an example of a counterfeit that’s on the site right now.
https://www.therealreal.com/pr.....kn5yo

Another fake Michele- https://www.therealreal.com/pr.....kupgg

I actually fell for a counterfeit item on there, and was able to cancel it thankfully. But the item was not removed from the website.
wow! Thanks for taking the time to search for links!

I'm looking for clothing, not expensive brands, just second hand clothes which will be cheap.
Can I expect to get what I order? will it arrive? is the website description, aside from the brand name, accurate? or is the whole site a scam?

amother
Grape

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 3:04 pm
I did well there.

I got a secondhand LV bag that retails for $2500 for $400.

Its very clearly real. I've gotten knockoffs from China before on purpose. I can tell the difference.

amother
Mintcream

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 3:48 pm
amother Grape wrote:
I did well there.

Its very clearly real. I've gotten knockoffs from China before on purpose. I can tell the difference.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was what is called a mirror image replica.

I have friends who have these and even if you put them next to the authentic bag, you can't tell the difference.

The vachetta leather on the Vuitton bags will acquire a patina and some sellers will quicken the process in order to sell it as "used".

Not that I think that any bags are an "investment" but used Vuitton bags do have a fairly good resale bag and so a $2500 bag in good condition would not be sold for $400.

amother
Grape

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 4:01 pm
amother Mintcream wrote:

I have friends who have these and even if you put them next to the authentic bag, you can't tell the difference.

The vachetta leather on the Vuitton bags will acquire a patina and some sellers will quicken the process in order to sell it as "used".

Not that I think that any bags are an "investment" but used Vuitton bags do have a fairly good resale bag and so a $2500 bag in good condition would not be sold for $400.

It was in decent condition but clearly used, some scratching, the inner fabric had some fading, etc. The same bag in better condition was going closer to $900 to $1200. Its also not the monogram type. More of the understated quiet bags which dont get as much attention. Im not really sure how to explain why im sure its real. The materials, the texture, the quality. Ive been using it every day for 2 years and its held up with very little wear and tear.

Also its an older bag. Not one of newer popular ones.

watergirl

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 4:04 pm
amother Mintcream wrote:

The super-fakes have gotten really REALLY good. tell me way to know if something you get on the secondhand market is authentic is to have a privately authenticated yourself.

amother
Mintcream

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 4:08 pm
amother Grape wrote:
It was in decent condition but clearly used, some scratching, the inner fabric had some fading, etc. The same bag in better condition was going closer to $900 to $1200. Its also not the monogram type. More of the understated quiet bags which dont get as much attention. Im not really sure how to explain why im sure its real. The materials, the texture, the quality. Ive been using it every day for 2 years and its held up with very little wear and tear.

Also its an older bag. Not one of newer popular ones.

Without seeing the bag, I have to take your word.

Which style is it?

However, I have seen many of the Chanel, Hermes, Gucci leather bags and the mirror image replicas and they are almost impossible for anyone to determine they are replicas. Some of the Bottega bags use sublime leather.

The Goyard Tote - at least the better ones even have the slightly raised lettering on the plastic Very Happy

There are forums and subreddits in which people advise on the quality of higher end replicas.

The new ones aren't necessarily cheap - a good Chanel replica might be $500 or even more. The exotic skins like lizard even higher. My friend got a Birkin 25 in black crocodile which cost her about $3000.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 4:08 pm
amother Grape wrote:
I did well there.

Most people can’t tell a if designer bags are “very clearly real”, there are a lot of details that go into properly authenticating items and unfortunately there are a lot of good fakes out there, not just the bad ones people get. Some know and don’t care, some don’t know and get duped because they spend a lot more thinking it’s the real thing. I would assume it is fake, especially for that price difference. There is a huge amount of fakes on TRR, the kind you can’t really tell, and most people who are looking for real designer items will not purchase there

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 4:10 pm
amother Mintcream wrote:
Without seeing the bag, I have to take your word.

Which style is it?

However, I have seen many of the Chanel, Hermes, Gucci leather bags and the mirror image replicas and they are almost impossible for anyone to determine they are replicas. Some of the Bottega bags use sublime leather.

The Goyard Tote - at least the better ones even have the slightly raised lettering on the plastic Very Happy

There are forums and subreddits in which people advise on the quality of higher end replicas.

The new ones aren't necessarily cheap - a good Chanel replica might be $500 or even more. The exotic skins like lizard even higher. My friend got a Birkin 25 in black crocodile which cost her about $3000.

People will even spend 10k on fake versions of these, called “real fakes”

And then they will send to TRR to sell for 40k

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 4:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
wow! Thanks for taking the time to search for links!

I'm looking for clothing, not expensive brands, just second hand clothes which will be cheap.
Can I expect to get what I order? will it arrive? is the website description, aside from the brand name, accurate? or is the whole site a scam?

The website itself is not a scam, just a lot of products they sell are fake. And they know very often that they are selling fakes and do not care.

You will receive your order though, but beware their customer service is not good. Make sure to save the pictures of the product you order in case there is damage that wasn’t shown or the description was inaccurate, which happens

Just curious though, it’s a site meant specifically for designer brands. If you aren’t interested in designer and just looking for cheap clothes, why not go to another secondhand site like Poshmark? Or order from cheaper stores in general? You may find good deals on TRR but you are paying premiums for designer brands, as opposed to buying secondhand Gap or Zara etc

watergirl

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 4:16 pm
I’ve read articles before and also saw a few youtube videos from people (with photo proof on both seller and buyer’s side) of people who send an authentic item to be sold, and the buyer end up getting a fake. These websites keep the real thing and sell it in another market and unsuspecting buyers get the fakes. Some fakes are more or less obvious.

amother
Mintcream

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 4:18 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:
People will even spend 10k on fake versions of these, called “real fakes”

And then they will send to TRR to sell for 40k

LOL LOL There are indeed the very rare collectible stuff and there is a Chinese Hermes seller who will do them to order.

Even among the mirror image bags there are degrees of qualify. For example, you can get a Birkin that is 50% handstitched (e.g. where you can see it) or 100% handstitched.

My friend sent me a listing for a Birkin in White Himalaya Croc with a diamond clasp. I think the authentic several years ago was about $300,000 and the replica was at least $50,000

My pricing reflected the more standard high end bags which can be made in greater quantity and are less expensive per bag than some of the limited edition couture since the replica maker has to purchase an authentic in order to figure out how to duplicate it - often get special hardware for the unique style as well as special leather often.

So a high end black caviar Chanel 2.55 will be less expensive because they have already worked it out and so the cost per bag is slightly lower.

I have read a bit about the replica industry - and no, it isn't owned by terrorists or exploiting slave labor. The owners of these businesses are just regular business people and often the factories making the replicas are the same factories that make bags for all kinds of manufacturers.

amother
Grape

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 4:18 pm
I guess you guys know more about it than I do. I assume because its an older bag and clearly amazing quality, good fakes werent around back then. Plus its not in prestine condition. Its clearly used.

Ill be honest, I dont care that much. A really good quality bag should cost about $400 anyway. Plus I bought one with no obvious logo because I am not looking to pay for a name. Just quality.

amother
Mintcream

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 4:20 pm
amother Grape wrote:
I guess you guys know more about it than I do. I assume because its an older bag and clearly amazing quality, good fakes werent around back then. Plus its not in prestine condition. Its clearly used.

Ill be honest, I dont care that much. A really good quality bag should cost about $400 anyway. Plus I bought one with no obvious logo because I am not looking to pay for a name. Just quality.

Which style is it?

Curious as I have no way of knowing whether your bag is real or a high end replica. There are women who are cleaning out their closets and happy to get rid of a bag they don't want for a few hundred dollars.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics