Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Spin -Off Lakewood clothing help

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 3:22 pm
I’m so sadden with so many ppl needing help.
I know of a family in Lakewood in a similar situation.
I live OOT.
I’m sure they know, but I don’t want to ask

Is there a list of clothing Gemach in Lakewood where they can find decent clothing for themselves, and/or children.

Do you need to qualify to “shop” there?

Are the clothes in decent enough condition that they can feel good about having something “new” for Yom Tov. They would also need summer clothing

I wish I could help but currently I’m not in the financial position. B”H not as dire as them but I have my own struggles.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 4:08 pm
What sizes do they need? And genders?

amother
Chicory

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 4:38 pm
Gemach(szwieback)
(732) 363-7283
795 Central Ave

Reb finkel's gemach
(732)3642095
1212 Chalet terrace

Serendipity on oberlin Ave -small charge

There was also someone a while ago who started an exchange thread where ppl could give their hand-me-downs to specific families.

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 4:39 pm
I also am always looking for a gemach with up to date clothes where I can go without someone watching me and just take what I need for the season. I live in Brooklyn and have only been to ones that are sooo outdated nothing current.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 5:15 pm
amother Chicory wrote:
Gemach(szwieback)
(732) 363-7283
795 Central Ave

Reb finkel's gemach
(732)3642095
1212 Chalet terrace

Serendipity on oberlin Ave -small charge

There was also someone a while ago who started an exchange thread where ppl could give their hand-me-downs to specific families.

Does anyone know if there are any rules/expectations about who can go to the first 2 of these? I've been to Serendipity but the cost was more than what I could give (although I'm sure for many this isn't an issue).

There is a shoe gemach here in lakewood too, and their clearance (outlet) location is only $5 a pair, for new shoes for kids.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 5:32 pm
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
Does anyone know if there are any rules/expectations about who can go to the first 2 of these? I've been to Serendipity but the cost was more than what I could give (although I'm sure for many this isn't an issue).

There is a shoe gemach here in lakewood too, and their clearance (outlet) location is only $5 a pair, for new shoes for kids.

Can I have info on the shoe outlet?
And how outdated are the clothes in the Gemach
Kids need to feel good

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 5:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
Can I have info on the shoe outlet?
And how outdated are the clothes in the Gemach
Kids need to feel good

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....20273

there is a phone number in this thread - call and the message has info on the shoe outlet. They have beautiful things there, classic styles and also seasonal styles. It's worth looking - for $5 a pair and no pushy salespeople you aren't risking much to go check it out.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 5:54 pm
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
https://www.imamother.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=420273

there is a phone number in this thread - call and the message has info on the shoe outlet. They have beautiful things there, classic styles and also seasonal styles. It's worth looking - for $5 a pair and no pushy salespeople you aren't risking much to go check it out.

This post says it’s 2 different places
I need the info for the $5 outlet that’s not in westgate

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 5:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
This post says it’s 2 different places
I need the info for the $5 outlet that’s not in westgate

the $5 outlet is just outside of westgate. they have the info on the telephone recording.

stillnewlywed

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 7:44 pm
Serendipity!

amother
Topaz

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 8:13 pm
I shop at serendipity even though I can afford other stores because they have tons of new womens tshirts dresses and skirts for so cheap why should I pay full price? the kids stuff is hit or miss bc its mostly used but they have new zebra shoes and stretchies, hosiery very discounted
it's a really pleasant shopping experience spacious and organized
highly recommend!

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 8:23 pm
amother Topaz wrote:
I shop at serendipity even though I can afford other stores because they have tons of new womens tshirts dresses and skirts for so cheap why should I pay full price? the kids stuff is hit or miss bc its mostly used but they have new zebra shoes and stretchies, hosiery very discounted
it's a really pleasant shopping experience spacious and organized
highly recommend!

Because if u can afford to shop elsewhere you should leave the cheap clothing for the people who can't afford to shop elsewhere

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 8:38 pm
stillnewlywed wrote:
Serendipity!
I agree. Serendipity is a great place,

Please allow me to share my personal experience.
I can barely afford serendipity even though it's so cheap.
I took a $100 bill and went on a spree at serendipity.
I felt so lucky spending a total of $70 and coming home with a wardrobe for everyone, including myself.

For myself I bought a beautiful weekday top, it looked brand new and like a better quality. The first time I wore it I was sweating soo much, I took my cans to the curb that night without wearing my coat and it was a freezing day. I wasn't able to wear it a second time. And I am a person who wears layers every day. It seemed like a typical winter top.
For my teen daughter I found a beautiful elegant top, also looked brand new, she tried it on before buying it and it looked gorgeous! Before leaving to a simcha 3 weeks later and she was actually walking around while wearing the top, not just standing in a dressing room, and the top kept on popping in such an odd way that she couldn't wear it and had to change. I felt so bad for her. The material or cut was just not wearable.
I couldn't help but wonder why people donate clothing which are not functional? I paid $5 for each top which I couldn't use and for me that was a fortune!
For my boys I did really well! Tops and pants!! Weekday and shabbos. I did really well for them!
For my baby I needed a full wardrobe and found 4 footies and an outfit. I felt over the moon! I came home and footie #1, the snaps kept opening up. I was soo soo upset! What was the person thinking when she donated it?! Serendipity does a quality check before putting anything on the shelf, but they can't see a snap that's not functional! neither a top that shvitzes like crazy..
Footie #2 was extremely stiff. Where you can't put the baby's legs into it because it's just really stiff.
The other 3 items were great and I used it nonstop!
So please! When you donate a bag, please keep in mind that you should put in things which you would put on for your kids, not things which you won't use again due to comfort etc and therefore are giving it away when it really should be dumped.
Real people will buy and enjoy your good clothing! Thank you for everyone who donates good clothing!

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 8:40 pm
amother Amaranthus wrote:
Because if u can afford to shop elsewhere you should leave the cheap clothing for the people who can't afford to shop elsewhere
Thank you for saying it!

amother
Chicory

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 8:42 pm

Absolutely not! We don't live in communist Russia.
Everyone is free to shop wherever they want!
There's no income qualifications forms to fill out before shopping there!
She also shouldn't shop the clearance rack in kohl's? Because sometimes with coupons I find stuff there cheaper than serendipity !!! LOL
Believe me whatever Hashem wants you to find in serendipity, you will find.
And sometimes I go there and find nothing and sometimes I find plenty!!

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 8:45 pm

No…
Maybe is shopping there and donating her extra money to tzedaka
We don’t get to dictate how other people shop.

GLUE

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 8:48 pm

In interviewer's the owners said that they want the whole town to shop at their store not just the people who can't afford. They don't want people to be ashamed of shopping there so if the whole town goes there more people will shop there without being embarrassed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics