Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Want to get rid of my smart phone
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 11:21 pm
Hi
I want to get a flip phone idea and keep
My smart phone to use with WiFi to check email and whatapp and shop and those stuff . But I want to carry a flip phone around with me . And use when I’m
Around the kids my smart phone I wanna check only when the kids are in school or at night , need to be able to keep my same
Number and for sure have txt . Everything else I would like email but I will have it on my old
Phone so it’s not a must . Where do I start? What phone do I get ? Please help me why I still have the courage to try this . Do I go to a Verizon store ( a Jewish one ) or go to a special kosher phone store ?
Thanks

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 11:48 pm
hi, you may want to check on tag's website which flips can be filtered. I have a sunbeam orchid with talk and text. it also has a few other things, like gps. as far as I know, it doesn't need to be tagged because it comes with no internet. you don't need to buy a phone @ Verizon (if they're your carrier) but you do need to make sure it's compatible with Verizon (again, it may show on tag's website).

I then have my (old) smartphone that only works with wifi and it has on it Whatsapp, email, and apps for work, etc. It still can be a distraction, but at least I am not always connected....

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 12:16 am
Thank you
Yes that’s what I plan to keep my old
Phone for it is a distraction but at least it won’t be in my hands 24/7

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 1:11 am
This is exactly what I need!

I need to be present for my kids and my phone is crazy distracring. I'd like a flip phone to use from 4pm until they are asleep.

I can't permanently get rid of my smartphone since it has so many things I need for work.

applsauce

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 2:17 am
Kol Hakovod to you!!

are you the type that will get used to a flip phone quickly? if yes get the lg classic unlocked
if not I recommend getting the fig phone

applsauce

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 2:20 am
if you get it in a kosher store anywhere in town they will give it to you with whatever standard of filtering you want
if not I think the only other option is buying it online and going down to a tag store and filtering it there
most non Jewish stores don't carry flip phones

make sure you filter it though an unblocked flip phone is worse than a filtered smart phone (BTDT)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 4:43 am
I have literally had a same phone for the past 19 years obviously it was black berry at one point ect. I’m still gonna use all my apps on my smart phone I just have to not be so attached like I can’t reach for my phone every second of my day and night ! I’m addiccter and I have a child in 12th grade and a child in 11th grade I need them to see me do this before they go on and say well I also needs smart phone I know I’m late but I’m trying - anyone switched at least for some of the day and knows a durable good phone that I can txt like a smart phone ? I can’t be pushing buttons like when I was in high school . Thanks

Comptroller

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 4:46 am
Why do you need a cell phone at all? I hardly ever use mine.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 4:52 am
lol hardly use ur phone ? That’s amazing my phone snd me are attached literally . I would go to another floor in my house without it 🙈

amother
Molasses

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 5:00 am
I've struggled with similar, but I don't think your solution is going to work. If you still have the smartphone in your house, what's going to stop you from falling into your old ways?

Personally, what I found the most helpful was getting a Kosher smartphone. It has the apps I need for banking and for work but there's no recreation on it besides for looking at cute pictures of my kids and playing Duolingo. Mine has whatsapp but even that is possible to block (and IIUC you can still tether it to the computer.) That somehow works. But since there's no ads, there's only so long I can get sucked into that Wink I have no browser.

If I want to go on imamother or other things, I use my laptop. But that's not at my fingers all day long like the phone was.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 5:03 am
Because I’m x doing anything wrong on my phone . I’m just addicted and I need hours of separation . I’m ok with checking it in the morning after the kids leave and before they come home from school and again at night . I just don’t want it to be within hands reach all day . I still wanna shop and google everyone’s symptoms lol .

amother
Molasses

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 5:27 am
amother OP wrote:
Because I’m x doing anything wrong on my phone . I’m just addicted and I need hours of separation . I’m ok with checking it in the morning after the kids leave and before they come home from school and again at night . I just don’t want it to be within hands reach all day . I still wanna shop and google everyone’s symptoms lol .

Do you in general have a lot of self control? If yes, this could work.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 7:35 am
I recently made the switch. Got a qin phone and a tablet. So when I go out I have a kosher phone and at home I have the tablet but I'm less likely to carry it around with me when the kids are home.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 7:36 am
There are other threads about flip phones. I like the orchid because for an extra few dollars a month, it has talk to text.... Saves a lot of time

amother
Yolk

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 7:37 am
applsauce wrote:
Kol Hakovod to you!!

are you the type that will get used to a flip phone quickly? if yes get the lg classic unlocked
if not I recommend getting the fig phone

Can you elaborate on each one and why

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 7:40 am
@snapdragon . Instead of a tablet I wanna just keep my iPhone and use that I know it will only work on WiFi . Does that make sense ? I wonder if that can work or is a tablet better ?

Layokee

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 9:07 am
I found that the simpler the flip phone is ( the less apps and features) the better it is. As in it works faster

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 8:04 pm
amother Molasses wrote:
I've struggled with similar, but I don't think your solution is going to work. If you still have the smartphone in your house, what's going to stop you from falling into your old ways?

Personally, what I found the most helpful was getting a Kosher smartphone. It has the apps I need for banking and for work but there's no recreation on it besides for looking at cute pictures of my kids and playing Duolingo. Mine has whatsapp but even that is possible to block (and IIUC you can still tether it to the computer.) That somehow works. But since there's no ads, there's only so long I can get sucked into that Wink I have no browser.

If I want to go on imamother or other things, I use my laptop. But that's not at my fingers all day long like the phone was.

What does this kosher phone cost?

amother
Strawberry

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 8:15 pm
I got a flip phone and made myself a boundary that the smartphone stays in my room only. Bh been able to stick to it and it’s really helpful to cut down on the distraction especially when the kids are home but even when I need to get something done in another room (or drink a coffee and eat breakfast/lunch etc.)
I did get cell service on it so I can take it with me when I need Uber, or if I need to check nest for whatever reason. But that’s the only time I take I take it along. If I’m going somewhere local I leave it at home.

amother
Celeste

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 8:17 pm
I did just what your looking for. T-Mobile gives you option of having 2 phones with exact same number . So have smart phone for business and rest of the time the simple phone. U get regular text on both phones.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics