Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Where would you move in my shoes?
1  2  Next

HMSThunderChild

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 8:21 am
We're looking for somewhere chasidish, warm and welcoming, in town or out. My husband is FFB and I don't think it would be good for him to be without a community like the one he grew up in (Belz). Meanwhile I'm BT and a bit out of the box. We're both on the spectrum, so that makes us come across as eccentric.

Ideally, we'd like to get a 2br for under 1500 a month, but we can go up to 2k at a stretch. We can't afford to buy. My husband drives trucks and busses which is in need everywhere, and my job is fully remote, so that shouldn't be a problem.

We want to stay in the US or Canada, and I can't handle living anywhere hotter than NYC lol. It's bad enough here, even with AC. But otherwise we're open to anywhere, whether it's in Brooklyn or across the country.

We also might need special education options in the future, since ASD runs really strongly in both our families. I would love to live somewhere with a frum Montessori school, but I could not handle the weather in Baltimore Sad. I have strong views on ABA and some of the attitudes in the special ed system, but I'm confident that I'd be able to advocate effectively for my child, if they needed it. I know how to talk so that SpEd schools listen and listen so that they talk.

Where would you go, if you were in my shoes? Looking for ideas. Right now I'm researching Cleveland, Milwaukee, Waterbury, Chicago, Philadelphia, and some others.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 4:29 pm
AFAIK none of those places have a belz community...do you want davka chassidish?

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 4:29 pm
Staten Island might be an option

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 4:36 pm
I have chassidish family members that moved from monsey to chicago. They love it there.

amother
Brickred

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 5:27 pm
Linden nj? Huge chassidish community now, but still has OOT feel, being out of borough park . Older kids get bussed to Brooklyn for school but I wonder if in a few years they’ll build up their own schools there. Mix of different chassidish types. Definitely cheaper than Monsey

mha3484

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 5:37 pm
I second chicago. I think it ticks all your boxes.

amother
Blushpink

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 5:41 pm
Staten Island has a Belz shul… extremely welcoming.. lots of things going on for ladies. Just make sure u have frum neighbors on the block if that’s Impt to u

amother
Chambray

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 6:24 pm
Hatzlocha with your research and decision iyh. Just be aware that NY offers more than NJ in terms of special needs. Staten Island may be a good idea.

amother
Tuberose

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 6:35 pm
Not Cleveland, for several reasons

mha3484

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 6:39 pm
Of the OOT communities chicago has the most special ed options.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 6:53 pm
You won’t get such cheap rent in nyc and surrounding areas. Chusen kallah apts in Staten Island are 2k +. You will get good special needs services in Monsey and NYC. Maybe try Baltimore.

amother
Ballota

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 6:59 pm
Monsey actually has a Montessori school but I believe ots a bit more modern. You have what you need except cheap housing but you can sometimes get lucky and find an older apartment for under 2k but it’s not guaranteed

amother
Stoneblue

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 7:04 pm
Milwaukee has The Rebbe and Rebbetzen Twersky. Maybe as time goes on they can guide you to an area that is good for you.

amother
Peony

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 7:17 pm
Staten Island
Linden

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 8:39 pm
Is weather an issue ? You
Said not Hotter than nyc but Baltimore is not good . Cleveland and Chicago are both colder than ny if coldness is an issue

amother
Daisy

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 11:21 pm
None of the OOT places you mentioned have what you want, except maybe Chicago. Really NY would be best, in terms of having lots of school and SPED options.

emee2

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 1:09 am
I’m pretty much looking for the same type of community! Would you consider Lakewood? Specifically oak and vine? Maybe Jersey city? Do you drive? If not then maybe Linden.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 6:20 am
Baltimore is not much hotter than Philly or some of the other places you mentioned..There is a montessori school as you know.
You can get an apt for the price you listed.

HMSThunderChild

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 8:54 am
amother Forestgreen wrote:
AFAIK none of those places have a belz community...do you want davka chassidish?

General chasidish is okay, but yeah, with a chasidish school

HMSThunderChild

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 8:55 am
amother Maroon wrote:
Staten Island might be an option

This might sound silly, but I'm worried about global warming and more storms like Sandy. But I'll look. What areas would you recommend?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating