Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Ironing wool tzitzis

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 9:51 am
what would be the highest setting when ironing wool tzitzis?

I find the lower setting does not do anything. impossible to take out creases so I put it ob the cotton setting and am very careful and never yet burnt a whole and the creases come out.

can it be though that it makes it turn yellow?

where I think I am not burning it I actually am?

I handwash with the vaas product. I noticed that it comes out clean but its still yellow - which usually happens at the dry cleaners (maybe also cos of heat) or in the machine.

It just dawned on me that maybe ironing on high number is actually making it yellow?

zaq

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 3:39 pm
You don't iron wool; you press it as follows: Dampen a clean white cloth, preferably cotton--it can be a piece of an old tablecloth, the back panel of an old shirt, or a length of fabric sold for this purpose--in plain water. lay it over the wool fabric. Press the dry iron, set to cotton, up and down on the damp fabric, moving from spot to spot every two to three seconds or so. Do not slide the iron across the fabric; PRESS it up and down. When the fabric dries to the point that it no longer hisses when the iron touches it, dampen it again and lay it across the next patch.

Steam removes wrinkles, and the pressing cloth protects the fabric from the worst of the heat. You can press with a dry cloth, but crease removal is less effective that way.

High temps can hasten yellowing, but white wool will yellow naturally over time even without exposure to high heat. White wool that is worn close to the body, even if not directly on the skin, will yellow even more as it absorbs sweat and body oils. These fluids can wick right through a cotton undershirt and even an overshirt and be absorbed by the beged. Since tzitzit are usually not changed daily like an undershirt but are worn for days at a time, there's a lot of opportunity for body fluids to sit there and stain the fabric.

But there is some hope: https://www.hunker.com/1200200.....abric

amother
Hunter

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 3:40 pm
A chassidish influencer once told me the way to keep the tzitzis white vs yellow is to buy anew.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 4:34 pm
I do a high setting. I think people say Zitz, Yellow Out or White Out works best. But not sure...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 5:35 pm
amother Chocolate wrote:
I do a high setting. I think people say Zitz, Yellow Out or White Out works best. But not sure...

does the tzitzis not turn yellow?

how do you wash?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 5:36 pm
zaq wrote:
You don't iron wool; you press it as follows: Dampen a clean white cloth, preferably cotton--it can be a piece of an old tablecloth, the back panel of an old shirt, or a length of fabric sold for this purpose--in plain water. lay it over the wool fabric. Press the dry iron, set to cotton, up and down on the damp fabric, moving from spot to spot every two to three seconds or so. Do not slide the iron across the fabric; PRESS it up and down. When the fabric dries to the point that it no longer hisses when the iron touches it, dampen it again and lay it across the next patch.

Steam removes wrinkles, and the pressing cloth protects the fabric from the worst of the heat. You can press with a dry cloth, but crease removal is less effective that way.

High temps can hasten yellowing, but white wool will yellow naturally over time even without exposure to high heat. White wool that is worn close to the body, even if not directly on the skin, will yellow even more as it absorbs sweat and body oils. These fluids can wick right through a cotton undershirt and even an overshirt and be absorbed by the beged. Since tzitzit are usually not changed daily like an undershirt but are worn for days at a time, there's a lot of opportunity for body fluids to sit there and stain the fabric.

But there is some hope: https://www.hunker.com/1200200.....abric

thanks alot.

does it not make tzitzis damp?

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 5:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
does the tzitzis not turn yellow?

how do you wash?

No, it comes out whiter than cleaners.
Friend gave this recipe:
Spray white shout spray on stains
Dissolve zitz powder in hot water. When warm, add tzitzis (leave strings out), with a bit of detergent. Let it soak for about an hr. Empty water, rinse, over, hand to dry without wringing.
Iron on highest setting while damp (which I don't always do.

Just hang it somewhere where u can air out. The smell........

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 5:50 pm
amother Chocolate wrote:
No, it comes out whiter than cleaners.
Friend gave this recipe:
Spray white shout spray on stains
Dissolve zitz powder in hot water. When warm, add tzitzis (leave strings out), with a bit of detergent. Let it soak for about an hr. Empty water, rinse, over, hand to dry without wringing.
Iron on highest setting while damp (which I don't always do.

Just hang it somewhere where u can air out. The smell........

I thought vaas was meant to be the best?

so which zitz do you use?

ironing when damp is anew one for me - maybe I will try that.

amother
Brickred

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 6:18 pm
amother Hunter wrote:
A chassidish influencer once told me the way to keep the tzitzis white vs yellow is to buy anew.

I buy new bec I can’t handle the smell of washing wool. And I can’t be bothered to go to the dry cleaners. Don’t remember the last time I dry cleaned something.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 6:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
I thought vaas was meant to be the best?

so which zitz do you use?

ironing when damp is anew one for me - maybe I will try that.

I heard ppl are happy with it, but I heard white out or yellow out works well.
Zitz makes the tzitzis white! But the smell...also expensive. it comes in packets in grocery store about $9-10 small pouch

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 6:31 pm
amother Chocolate wrote:
Zitz makes the tzitzis white! But the smell...also expensive. it comes in packets in grocery store about $9-10 small pouch

I dont see it anywhere online.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 6:32 pm
amother Chocolate wrote:

I wonder if vaas is zitz.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 7:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
I dont see it anywhere online.

It's called super zitz powder. I googled All Fresh in Monsey has it

zaq

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 7:30 pm
amother OP wrote:
thanks alot.

does it not make tzitzis damp?

The heat of the iron dries the fabric. It's like using a steam iron, except you have a layer of fabric protecting your garment from the heat. But even if you stop pressing while the garment itself is still slightly damp, nothing will happen. The residual moisture will evaporate soon enough. Just let the garment air-dry for a little while. Like any other material, don't fold and store until it's cool and 100% dry.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 8:20 am
has anyone tried pretreated nuki tzitzis?

https://shopbestjudaica.com/pr.....itzis

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 11:30 am
with fringes or without?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry