Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Anyone want to help me design a teen bedroom?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 9:58 am
Deleted cuz I think too much identifying info

singleagain

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 10:01 am
What does your teen have to say?

amother
Honey

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 10:04 am
What are the choices you made so far? Can you link or describe?

amother
Carnation

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 10:10 am
Thats really unprofessional. Her reaction seems so rigid. She should be able to swallow her "horror" and work within the constraints of the job, as it may be. Its just that you sound so apologetic and feeling bad about your choices. And if you both liked them, I'm sure they're lovely. Can you hire someone else with a little more skill and a lot more tact?

amother
Tulip

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 10:15 am
amother OP wrote:
Anyone willing to help me design a teen girls bedroom? Im so terrible at this, I may have akready made some awful mistakes that I cant undo. or can only partially undo. We chose beds, wall color, and linen. My daughters and I thought it looked nice, but when I asked a designer to help with ideas for rest of the room, nightstand, comfy chair, light fixture, rug etc, she seemed horrified with our choices, and therefore doesnt seem to be able to come up with any pretty or cute ideas for us. (She did a gorgeous job on other areas in my house that I hired her for. Just seems to have a mental block to this room.)

I need serious help.

A good designer should be able work with whatever furniture & linens you have.
Your designer seems unprofessional.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 10:27 am
I don’t understand
You like them, your DD likes them
Why is someone else dictating what you like.

What color paint
What color furniture
What color bedding
Pick one color and accents should be in that color different shades.

How horrible could it be?

amother
Milk

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 10:42 am
Share what you picked here.

Forget that designer- she sounds unprofessional and rude

Try your luck here.

Rappel

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 11:01 am
Two bean bag chairs, and a rug, for friends

amother
Mocha

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 11:35 am
large wall picture boards are a fun teen room accessory.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 12:09 pm

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 12:15 pm

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 12:27 pm
Can you return the linen?

amother
Milk

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 12:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
So for all those saying how unprofessional she is, she sort of is. Just starting out but did a bunch of design work before. Thats why she was willing to take on my job, with it being small and not full house or new construction etc.

https://vantpanels.com/collect.....denim
we have a window with uneven walls on the two sides. I didnt want a bed headboard to block part of the window. So we are installing these Vant panels on the wall like headboards, in a custom brickwork design that makes it look like it comes uneven. The color we chose is a woven denim. with gold legs.

The paint color we chose for the rest of that wall is call Mauve Mist on benjamin moore. This is the part that horrified her I think. But its not pink, its mauve, and we thought the contrast looked pretty. we even found linen that had both those colors that we liked.

the other 3 walls are white (I cant remember which of the million whites we chose.)

I figured white nightstand, chairs and other stuff, but when I start looking I get completely lost.

If you all think the denim mauve combo is awful, we are anyway still going to be painting other parts of the house very soon, we can repaint or put wallpaper.

My teenager first thought the combo was amazing, we chose it together. But now that she sees the designs the designer made for the rest of her room, vs the stuff she put together for the other rooms she is working on, she is devastated. the stuff for her room are looking down right dowdy, while my boys room is "heaven" and professional looking.

Is it really "denim" or a dark/navy blue? It looks navy-ish to me. And I don't think the choices are bad at all! What color flooring do you have?

mizle10

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 1:08 pm
Your designer is definitely not very professional.

Since you mentioned the option for repainting... That pink is a little jarring and not very "designer" looking. I wouldn't put that in a teen room. If you specifically want a feminine color I would either do a gray-pink (more like a gray with a pinky undertone. the pink in the linen will draw out the pink) or go dark and sophisticated, maybe a deep plum?

Are the panels exchangeable? A soft neutral would be more feminine. Cream panels would be beautiful in front a plum wall. I would do gray/taupe if you're going with a pink wall.

What color is the floor?

I recently redid my girls room, gray wall and carpet. Metallic silver leather beds. Dark gray linen with dark bold flowers and colorful accent pillows. Coordinating wall art. It look great!

SuperWify

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 1:18 pm
I’d lay the can’t panels in a symmetrical straight way. The bricks is cool but can come off wrong if not done right.

Repaint the entire room in one color. Painting just one wall gives if unfinished look like you ran out of money. (Even though I know it was intentional).

The beds are cool and can look really nice with the right linen but the linen you have is a bit dated if I’m being brutally honest.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 1:19 pm
I would change the paint color to mauve desert which is a more purplish softer color. I put together a few items. Let me know if you want more.

amother
Carnation

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 1:23 pm
Honestly, then, I would just return the linen, re-paint the room and swallow the cost of the panels and let the designer do something beautiful and current. If your daughter will hate it so much, to me its not worth it. I agree that the linen is dated. Pretty but dated.

Anyway, I'm a big talker. Because I don't have the funds to do any of it! But I think if I did, and it came out wrong, I'd just re-do it and bear the expense rather than see a room I'm not happy with. In the long run, would it make that much of a difference to you? Maybe that's the question...

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 1:26 pm
Where is that chandelier from? I love it.

amother
Sage

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 1:28 pm
Im not an interior designer, but I am a designer and have designed quite a number of linen sets.

I would do all walls the same color (preferably white if you're going with the denim panels), and use the panels as a contrast. I'm also not loving the linen, so if that can be returned I would return it and get something more elegant.

This set can work very well with the panels u chose
https://elegantlinen.com/produ.....g-set

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 3:22 pm
amother Milk wrote:
Is it really "denim" or a dark/navy blue? It looks navy-ish to me. And I don't think the choices are bad at all! What color flooring do you have?

it is denim, not as dark navy as in the picture. Not the washed out light denim that many jeans and stuff are.

floor is parquet, maybe walnut color? medium brown.

Linen can be returned.

panels cant be returned except at a loss, which im not sure im willing to spend, unless im told its really not doable to make it girly and amazing.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics