Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Wedding gown for Kallah
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 12:36 pm
What am I supposed to expect to spend?

I am price conscious but B”H fairly comfortable (maybe because I don’t spend). I pay full tuition, but wear a $300 synthetic shaital.

Before I get sticker shock, what should I expect to spend on a dress my DD will wear for a 5 hour party?

amother
Canary

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 12:41 pm
I payed $1500 to rent a gown 4.5 years ago. I honestly regret it a bit because I think if I would’ve shopped around a bit more I could have gotten something nicer, spent less, or both.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 12:43 pm
Where are you located and what kind of places will you be getting a gown from?

I think typical rental prices including alterations is somewhere between 1-3k, but depends on where you go, how much work it needs, etc

I got my gown from David’s Bridal for under 1k (bought), needed no alterations just a shell underneath

amother
Snowflake

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 12:48 pm
It very much depends where you are located and where you plan to shop
I married off my daughter 2 months ago. The average price for a Kallah gown rental at the Jewish places range from $2000-2500for a used gown. A brand new will obviously be more expensive.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 12:49 pm
I am in Passaic and open to all options. My DD has specific taste and her own sense of style, and is not open to just anything that fits, but is not high end and looking to spend either. Her attitude has been-don’t mortgage the house, it’s a 5 hour party.

I would rent/buy/buy second hand…. As long as the dress worked for her. She does like unique looks and expensive fabrics.

I don’t have a clue where to go.
Monsey is easier than Lakewood. Brooklyn gives me hives, but I will do what I need to do.

amother
Blushpink

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 12:50 pm
I wore a gemach gown (Ehrenfelds in Brooklyn) and I think it was $250.

mfb

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 12:50 pm
There’s also gemachs that are cheaper. I think there’s a satmar gemach in Boro park.
It really depends where you are

amother
Oatmeal

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 12:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
I am in Passaic and open to all options. My DD has specific taste and her own sense of style, and is not open to just anything that fits, but is not high end and looking to spend either. Her attitude has been-don’t mortgage the house, it’s a 5 hour party.

I would rent/buy/buy second hand…. As long as the dress worked for her. She does like unique looks and expensive fabrics.

Monsey is easier than Lakewood. Brooklyn gives me hives, but I will do what I need to do.

I'm the same way, I wanted somthing different. I refused to wear lace and"whatever everyone else was wearing"( yes refused, it's my wedding day, I wanted to feel like myself). I ended finding something in Miri lkwd, but I did contribute to it as it was a bit over the original budget, which I know was generous already. We were told when I tried it on it was 4500, but after she told us it was really 5, but she'll honor the 4500.
Alinea Bridal In Lkwd also has really nice and very different types of gowns. But also on the pricier side.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 1:00 pm
amother Oatmeal wrote:
I'm the same way, I wanted somthing different. I refused to wear lace and"whatever everyone else was wearing"( yes refused, it's my wedding day, I wanted to feel like myself). I ended finding something in Miri lkwd, but I did contribute to it as it was a bit over the original budget, which I know was generous already. We were told when I tried it on it was 4500, but after she told us it was really 5, but she'll honor the 4500.
Alinea Bridal In Lkwd also has really nice and very different types of gowns. But also on the pricier side.

They have non Jewish designer brands that they build up, their stuff is really different than typical gowns

amother
Junglegreen

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 1:27 pm
I paid $300 recently at Ehrenfeld in Lakewood. They mostly have the typical lace gowns, but they do have some more unique styles.

amother
Snowflake

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 1:34 pm
amother OP wrote:

In Monsey you can go to Be a bride or Brodys. They both have beautiful stuff. Be a bride has better prices

amother
White

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 2:25 pm
There’s a gemach in Passaic that I rented my wedding gown from. Was about $200 for a donation

Chayalle

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 3:08 pm
My daughter got married a few months ago. We figured we'd start with the Gemach and see what we find, and work our way up.....DD has specific taste and likes to be different, she did not want your typical lace gown.
At the very first Gemach (Stern's), we found a gorgeous gown of soft layers of pleated tulle, it was very different. Hard to describe. It was at least 4 sizes too big and very long, but DD loved it. I took it to an expert seamstress and she did a gorgeous job taking it in and lifting one of the layers, to perfectly fit DD. The tailoring cost me close to $400, but as the gown itself was free, I did not feel we overspent at all.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 3:29 pm
Back in the day I spent $100 at a Gemach. They didn't dry clean the dresses there after wear (because anyhow multiple people are trying them on, you want a freshly cleaned gown for your wedding). I washed mine in the bathtub so I didn't have to get it dry cleaned lol.

If you get a rental it will be far more expensive.

upwards

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 3:31 pm
Jenny's dresses (can't remember the exact name) in Queens has beautiful gemach dresses, I think around 250

amother
Celeste

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 8:46 pm
My dd got married this year BH and we got from Ehrenfeld in Lakewood. It’s a gemach, was I think $300, then you need to get it dry cleaned (a bit over $100) and do alterations (ours were around $300).

amother
Jasmine

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 9:07 pm
David’s Bridal has a modest line for pretty cheap, comparatively. Not very thing is perfect for the frum workd, but not a bad place to start.

amother
Tomato

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 9:15 pm
amother OP wrote:

If you’re in Passaic did you try the gown gemach on Ridge? You need to make an appointment. She has gorgeous stuff and is free. You pay for cleaning.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 10:10 pm
My daughter got a stunning gown at a Gemach in lakewood that was for free. The gown was worn once it was a slightly off white heavy expensive lace - not typical at all - very simple style. She just had to do all the alteration in a way that they could be undone.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 11:15 pm
I got mine from the gemach on Ridge in Passaic. Definitely go there first!
Mine was a pretty unique style.
I paid about $100 in alterations and $100 to rent.
I don't think a rental would've been better it was my dream gown.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics