Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
S/O have you called Poison Control
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Have you ever called Poison Control?
Yes, numerous times  
 14%  [ 28 ]
Yes, once or twice  
 65%  [ 123 ]
No, I call my pediatrician  
 6%  [ 13 ]
Never, BH  
 13%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 189

amother
Sage

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 8:04 pm
FYI poison control does not ask for your name or number.
Also, pediatricians do not know the answers to most of the questions mentioned above. They will usually refer to poisen control or your pharmacist.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 8:06 pm
Once, DC 1.5 yo got into dh Lexapro thru childproof cap. We tried counting the pill and we weren't sure if one might be missing so I called and they said if it was just one it was fine.

amother
Apple

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 8:09 pm
amother Sage wrote:
FYI poison control does not ask for your name or number.
Also, pediatricians do not know the answers to most of the questions mentioned above. They will usually refer to poisen control or your pharmacist.

Maybe things have changed recently. My kids are older now. So it's been a while. They did ask. And even if they didn't, they are a government agency with my phone number. They know who I am. And the accusatory tone was very unsettling. We kept waiting for CPS to show up over the next several weeks.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 8:18 pm
It has been while, but they definitely took my name and number. They were very nice however.

I called when I found my toddler eating toothpaste. They actually called me back twice to check on him since they said toothpaste can be very dangerous but I had no idea how much he ingested. He was ok BH

amother
Blushpink

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 8:20 pm
I called twice in one week.
First time baby got to my febreeze plug in and the second time baby managed to open desitin and eat some, I have no idea how much.

Both times they were nice and said baby is fine, give milk/water and monitor. They asked if I wanted pamphlets/magnets and I was stupid enuf to give my address. Never got any mail from them and I've never had to call again

amother
Iris

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 8:33 pm
A bunch of times over 8 years
kid ate some of my Tums. (Fine)
kid tried to drink my perfume (fine)
kid climbed up where I thought was inaccessible and opened a childproof prescription pill bottle, needed 24 hr supervision in hospital.
Now I have a lockbox for medication

amother
Wandflower

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 8:36 pm
Once when my child ate a half bottle of children’s vitamins. I think they said it was fine.
Another time we weren’t sure if my son took some of a relatives Synthroid. I think they just said to give milk. It’s been so long I don’t really remember exactly.

GrowingUp

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 8:37 pm
theoneandonly wrote:
Judgy much?
I'm not a helicopter parent. My kids eat toys all the time but happens to be never ingestibles. I'm sorry if that makes you feel bad.

Sorry, I guess my sarcasm didn’t come through enough.

What I was trying to say is that the amother who called me out was right, kids are naturally curious and will mouth things. It has nothing to do if they’re “angels”/good or bad kids. Just as all parents want what’s best for their kids and of course don’t want them ingesting anything they shouldn’t.

I wasn’t trying to make anyone who bH hasn’t had to call poison control sound like a helicopter mom.

I should just change it to “No, BH”

Highstrung

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 8:39 pm
Once 20 yrs ago when my toddler climbed up to my cabinet and drank a bottle of childrens liquid motrin

rgr

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 8:40 pm
GrowingUp wrote:

What I was trying to say is that the amother who called me out was right, kids are naturally curious and will mouth things. It has nothing to do if they’re “angels”/good or bad kids. Just as all parents want what’s best for their kids and of course don’t want them ingesting anything they shouldn’t.

I wasn’t trying to make anyone who bH hasn’t had to call poison control sound like a helicopter mom.

I read it as humorous but not everyone can take a joke

theoneandonly

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 8:40 pm
GrowingUp wrote:

Thanks for explaining. I actually really appreciate it.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 8:41 pm
Highstrung wrote:
Once 20 yrs ago when my toddler climbed up to my cabinet and drank a bottle of childrens liquid motrin

Was e.t ok?

Did anyone call poison control and actually have to get stomach pumped?!seems like not

amother
Feverfew

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 8:44 pm
Called once. My daughter has these paper flags above her bed when she was very small (I think 5 or 6 months) and she ate an entire one! She wasn't even that close to the wall, just determined. It was just paper but I was worried about the dye so I called.

It was fine and they were super helpful, I wouldn't hesitate to call.

I now never put anything at all on my babys' walls until I can trust them Smile

amother
Hyssop

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 8:50 pm
Called twice for one kid about a few mths apart.. don't remember what the first time was. The second time cuz she drank motrin wasn't sure how much.. they asked me her name and age and that's when I decided I'm not calling again because obviously they are keeping tabs even if they say it's anonymous..

amother
Geranium

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 8:51 pm
My son got ahold of Wellbutrin So I called my psychiatrist first. He said to head to the ER and call poison control on the way.
They told me to let the ER know right away and to be monitored for 24 hours while on IV. I got to the ER (Maimonides) and they took their sweet time. I was so nervous. After around 2 hours they hooked him up to IV and we spent the night. B’H he was ok.

amother
Clear

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 8:51 pm
Never called but my children are far from angels.

amother
Glitter

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 9:17 pm
gave same kid 2 doses of meds I thought I gave each one a dose and then realized I gave same kid twice amoxil. They both had strep or ear infections at the same time. I got nervous so I called. That was over 20 years ago.

amother
Pear

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 9:27 pm
I've called numerous times.

My craziest story was I found my baby chewing on a pack of rat poison (it seems that my apartment had had a mouse problem at one point with previous tenants. I was unaware that there was poison in my apt)

I freaked out. Poison control wasn't very worried though. They said that even if the baby had ingested some, it's a blood thinner and a baby is a lot larger than a rat so it wouldn't have done much.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Mar 19 2024, 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Green

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 9:33 pm
My oldest has adhd. Super impulsive. So until she was about 4 she got into everything. She drank my makeup remover, got into diaper cream and cut herself on my shaver (called hatzoloh for that). Those are the ones I remember. She was in her own world and didn't notice anything. I also got better and putting everything out of her reach and closing doors unless I was in the room. Never hesitate to call poison control. My other kids I never needed to. I still remember her finding my prenatal vitamins and thinking they were candy. These were chewables...and the vitamins levels are pretty high. I dont remember what they told us to do.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 9:44 pm
I called poison control once for my toddler brother. He drank liquid paraffin and started vomiting.
They weren't very helpful, said he'd be fine if he didn't vomit. But he was vomiting already and completely out of it.
Hatzolah took him to the ER and he had Aspiration pneumonia and was in the NICU for a few days.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics