Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Hamentash dough

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 1:52 am
What's the easiest recipe for hamentash dough?

amother
Canary

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 1:54 am
Hamentash Recipe #1

4 eggs
1 cup oil
1.25 cups sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
.5 tsp salt

Mix above well.

4.5+ cups flour (add 1 cup at a time)

Makes an excellent dough that looks good and holds when baked.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 2:56 am
I second above recipe.
roll out on a little flour if needed.
also works well to refrigerate before rolling....
keeps shape beautifully. .doesn't need to bake long, 10 or 12 min for regular sized...

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 3:08 am
amother Canary wrote:
Hamentash Recipe #1

4 eggs
1 cup oil
1.25 cups sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
.5 tsp salt

Mix above well.

Vanilla sugar or vanilla extract?
Does it need refrigeration, if yes how long?

amother
Canary

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 3:10 am
amother Slategray wrote:
Vanilla sugar or vanilla extract?
Does it need refrigeration, if yes how long?

I made with (imitation) vanilla extract and did not refrigerate.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 9:09 am
Looks great, thank you!
At what temp should this be baked?

watergirl

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 9:46 am
amother Canary wrote:
Hamentash Recipe #1

4 eggs
1 cup oil
1.25 cups sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
.5 tsp salt

Mix above well.

Does this make a soft or harder cookie?

amother
Petunia

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 9:53 am
For a soft cookie with a slightly crunchy exterior, Jodi Reches on facebook (on I don't cook but give out recipes) has a fantastic recipe I use year after year. Always a hit.

amother
Bluebell

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 12:23 pm
amother Petunia wrote:
For a soft cookie with a slightly crunchy exterior, Jodi Reches on facebook (on I don't cook but give out recipes) has a fantastic recipe I use year after year. Always a hit.

Can you share the recipe? I can't access Facebook.

amother
Lotus

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 12:36 pm
amother Canary wrote:
Hamentash Recipe #1

4 eggs
1 cup oil
1.25 cups sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
.5 tsp salt

Mix above well.

Thanks!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 7:38 pm
Is 350 a good temp for hamentashen? For 10 minutes?

amother
Canary

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 7:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is 350 a good temp for hamentashen? For 10 minutes?

Yes on 350. I'd check on them after 10 minutes, but I find that different size hamentashen bake at different speeds so I don't have an exact number.

amother
Canary

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 7:40 pm
amother Bluebell wrote:
Can you share the recipe? I can't access Facebook.

https://soulandstreusel.com/pe.....ough/

Jodi Reches Hamantaschen Dough

2 medium eggs
3/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup orange juice I used freshly squeezed
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup white sugar
3 1/2 cups flour, sifted if the dough is wet add in an extra 1/4 cup of flour, slowly, as needed(I DID NOT NEED TO)
2 tsp baking powder

Instructions

Wet ingredients

In a large bowl or the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the eggs, oil, juice, and vanilla. Mix to combine.

Add dry ingredients

Add in the sugar and mix to combine. Add the flour and baking powder and mix with a spoon or spatula till combined. Turn out the dough on to a clean surface and knead gently until the dough is nice and smooth(this doesn't take long, maybe 1 minute).

Roll and Create

Take a small chunk of dough and roll it out onto a silicone baking mat(this helps it not to stick to the counter). Keep the dough a tad thick. With the rim of a glass cup, cut out circles of dough. You can fill these with whatever you like! For PB & J: In the centre of each circle, place a ball of peanut butter filling. Next to it a dollop of strawberry jam. Pinch the top sides together create a corner. Continue with the other two until you have a triangle. If using the dough immediately, it should stick easily together. If you refrigerate the dough overnight or for a couple hours, you may need to brush the edges of the circle with egg wash before folding them.

if needed: Egg Wash

combine one egg and 1 tsp of water in a bowl. Whisk with a fork and brush onto the edges of the cookie to help the sides stay together during baking.

Bake

Preheat your oven to 350 F. Bake the cookies for 15-18 minutes, keeping an eye on them and taking them out when the edges are just starting to turn golden. Enjoy!!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 7:54 pm
Thanks!

amother
DarkPurple

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 8:02 pm
amother Canary wrote:
Hamentash Recipe #1

4 eggs
1 cup oil
1.25 cups sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
.5 tsp salt

Mix above well.

How many does this make?

amother
DarkPurple

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 8:03 pm
amother Canary wrote:
https://soulandstreusel.com/peanut-butter-and-jelly-hamantaschen-and-a-great-dough/

2 medium eggs
3/4 cup canola oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup white sugar
3 1/2 cups flour, sifted if the dough is wet add in an extra 1/4 cup of flour, slowly, as needed(I DID NOT NEED TO)
2 tsp baking powder

Instructions

Wet ingredients

In a large bowl or the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the eggs, oil, juice, and vanilla. Mix to combine.

Add dry ingredients

Add in the sugar and mix to combine. Add the flour and baking powder and mix with a spoon or spatula till combined. Turn out the dough on to a clean surface and knead gently until the dough is nice and smooth(this doesn't take long, maybe 1 minute).

Roll and Create

Take a small chunk of dough and roll it out onto a silicone baking mat(this helps it not to stick to the counter). Keep the dough a tad thick. With the rim of a glass cup, cut out circles of dough. You can fill these with whatever you like! For PB & J: In the centre of each circle, place a ball of peanut butter filling. Next to it a dollop of strawberry jam. Pinch the top sides together create a corner. Continue with the other two until you have a triangle. If using the dough immediately, it should stick easily together. If you refrigerate the dough overnight or for a couple hours, you may need to brush the edges of the circle with egg wash before folding them.

combine one egg and 1 tsp of water in a bowl. Whisk with a fork and brush onto the edges of the cookie to help the sides stay together during baking.

Bake

Preheat your oven to 350 F. Bake the cookies for 15-18 minutes, keeping an eye on them and taking them out when the edges are just starting to turn golden. Enjoy!!

How many does this make?

imaamy

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 8:43 pm
One tablespoon of baking powder seems like a lot. Do they get “fluffy?”

amother
Bluebell

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 1:24 am
amother Canary wrote:
https://soulandstreusel.com/peanut-butter-and-jelly-hamantaschen-and-a-great-dough/

2 medium eggs
3/4 cup canola oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup white sugar
2 tsp baking powder

Instructions

Wet ingredients

Add dry ingredients

Roll and Create

Bake

I really appreciate you taking the effort to write out this recipe. Wishing you a Purim someach!

amother
Canary

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 1:30 am
amother Bluebell wrote:
I really appreciate you taking the effort to write out this recipe. Wishing you a Purim someach!

I just copied and pasted Smile but hope you enjoy it!

amother
Petunia

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 11:30 am
amother DarkPurple wrote:
How many does this make?

I would say 35-40? I never counted and I always make more than 1 batch. But the texture is perfect and they never ever open on me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics