Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Carriage in clothing store

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 2:05 pm
I walked into a clothing store with my baby in a Doona, it was an hour to closing and the store was empty. I started walking around the store, and the saleslady comes over to tell me to leave my carriage at the front of the store. I was so shocked! If the store is jammed I understand, but the place was EMPTY!! I was so upset I walked out of the store. I'm not leaving my baby alone for a second. I should've said something but I didn't.. What would you have done? I plan to find a babysitter next time but this was really upsetting.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 2:09 pm
I too would have left. And I would not go back, even with having a babysitter. There are plenty of other stores happy to take your money.

Full disclosure, I don’t live in Brooklyn, Monsey, or Lakewood.
My children are grown. I never had such an experience in regular department stores. My babies came to Loehmann’s and Daffy’s and Lord and Taylor with me (and often my mom or friend)

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 2:18 pm
I would have said, it’s okay I’ll leave it out the door
along with my business

I would definitely not go back there again, I have never heard of of such a thing and would be appalled

I don’t usually shop in Jewish stores, I shop at high end stores where they literally take my stroller the second I walk in and push it around for me while I browse, as well as offer me snacks or stickers to keep my baby happy. But at the bare minimum a mother should not be told she can’t walk around with her child!

amother
Feverfew

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 2:21 pm
She might have meant to leave your stroller outside and carry your baby inside, but what kind of shopping experience is that?? So weird, especially if the store was empty

613mitzvahgirl

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 2:27 pm
This happened to many of times with me and my kids.. I simply don’t shop and didn’t shop there after that.. it’s a shame that they think this acceptable and not a problem.. but it is a problem out there..we deserve better and definitely deserve to shop with our children and not be ridiculed

amother
Melon

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 2:30 pm
I have seen women pushed strollers through narrow aisles not meant for strollers, and the stroller damaged or dirtied clothing. Maybe that's why the store has this policy?

Brit in Israel

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 3:52 pm
That's why I didn't shop in kiddichic when it was in the old place on Kikar Shabbat.
It was so kids unfriendly. the steps going down and no space to walk in-between the rails with a stroller I went in once and walked straight out.
COVID was great for the fact that suddenly many of the Israeli stores started with website and delivery. Before COVID it wasn't a thing.

Success10

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 4:03 pm
amother Melon wrote:
I have seen women pushed strollers through narrow aisles not meant for strollers, and the stroller damaged or dirtied clothing. Maybe that's why the store has this policy?

Yes, I'm not sure these stores are anti-kids, more just they have a policy for space reasons, and they have to uphold the policy, even if the store is basically empty.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 4:14 pm
Success10 wrote:
Yes, I'm not sure these stores are anti-kids, more just they have a policy for space reasons, and they have to uphold the policy, even if the store is basically empty.

The store I went to was empty, maybe 2 or 3 other people in the whole store, and I was using a doona, which is much smaller than a regular carriage and there was no way it was getting any clothes dirty. Maybe they wanted to keep the floors clean?? It made zero sense to me.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 4:17 pm
amother Melon wrote:

I've also seen that, but the store I went to had wide aisles and there was no way my carriage could get any clothes dirty or damaged. Sometimes stores have that policy if they are crowded, but that didn't apply since the store was empty.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 4:23 pm
I’ve seen kids with sticky lolly pop hands grabbing at clothing while being pushed down aisles. Schubert I find upsetting and I don’t think it’s right anyone gives kids food in a clothing store. I also saw clothing get stuck under wheels or things get pulled off racks by strollers. In narrow aisles I think it makes sense. Department and chain stores tend to be in massive stores that have wide aisles. It’s totally not comparable. I wouldn’t want to leave my baby up front so I either don’t take babies with me or I bring a child old enough to watch them in the front.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 4:42 pm
How dare you shop with your baby in the Doona? Don’t you know it is uncomfortable for them and will cause physical delays? Also a Doona is not a carriage It’s a car seat. You are just following the trends. And why do you think you need to shop in Jewish stores? Don’t you know that Amazon and Macys have just as good clothing? And why do you need to shop for new clothes every new season? Can’t you just use stuff from winter? And why are you taking your baby shopping? Don’t you know babies need to be playing at home?

amother
Raspberry

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 5:04 pm
Stores have this policy so that shoppers and staff can focus on the clothes and not if they are tripping over a stroller. The store can go from empty to full really fast so they stick to the policy.

Most of these stores are small you can see and hear your baby all the time. There is no reason not to feel comfortable. There are sales ladies around making sure everything is ok. No one is coming in to snatch your baby and run away.

All that said I don’t like to do it either.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics