Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Traveling on a passport that expires five months after retur
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 4:50 pm
I see that officially Israel requires your passport to be valid SIX months after your return flight. Does anyone know if they really enforce that? Flying el al if that makes a difference and passport expires five months after return flight.
TIA

amother
Leaf

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 4:51 pm
If you’re leaving within a couple of weeks you might be able to get an appointment for an expedited passport

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 5:02 pm
amother Leaf wrote:
If you’re leaving within a couple of weeks you might be able to get an appointment for an expedited passport

My question is whether I really NEED to renew at this point (for a passport that expires five months AFTER my return flight) altogether.

Thanks!

amother
Marigold

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 5:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
My question is whether I really NEED to renew at this point (for a passport that expires five months AFTER my return flight) altogether.

Thanks!

I just had this in the summer but not with Israel with a different country. I had to get an expedited passport the week before I left. It was crazy...

DrMom

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 5:09 pm
amother OP wrote:

Thanks!

Only if not be allowed to board your flight is a possibility you can live with.

Personally, I wouldn't want to take that chance.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 5:13 pm
Depends which country you fly to.
Are you a citizen of that country?
Ask Dr Mom says, it's not worth the chance.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 5:22 pm
amother OP wrote:
I see that officially Israel requires your passport to be valid SIX months after your return flight. Does anyone know if they really enforce that? Flying el al if that makes a difference and passport expires five months after return flight.
TIA

Doesn't make a difference which airline you use.
The passport rules are issued by the countries, not the airlines. Logically airlines have to comply with the rules too.

amother
Birch

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 5:25 pm
You will be at the mercy of the agent. No way to know for sure how it will turn out

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 5:35 pm
Okay, does anyone here know someone personally who was denied boarding an el al flight from the US to Tel Aviv or back because their passport expired 3-6 months after their flight?
Thanks!

amother
Birch

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 5:38 pm
Yes my brother was denied boarding. I belive the requirement is 6 months from when you leave US, nothing to do with your return flight if that makes a difference to your situation.

amother
Chicory

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 5:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
Okay, does anyone here know someone personally who was denied boarding an el al flight from the US to Tel Aviv or back because their passport expired 3-6 months after their flight?
Thanks!

Yes, this happened to one of my parents

amother
Ultramarine

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 6:12 pm
I was let through since I had a return ticket the next week
I think it was Swiss air

Do they always check?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 6:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
TIA

Yes, they strictly enforce it.
We made an overnight passport afew days before traveling.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 6:14 pm
amother OP wrote:

Thanks!

Yes, you need to. This isn't a chance to take.
My sister & BIL recently had to cancel a trip the day of, because of this.

amother
Marigold

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 6:21 pm
Yes you need to get a new passport.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 6:44 pm
I wouldn’t chance it. You might get an agent who will let you through but what if you don’t.
I was in a similar situation once and they decided to be nice to me. I was traveling with kids and the agent saw he’d be causing a disaster by not letting me through. I’m grateful he had a heart and didn’t stop me. He definitely could have.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 6:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks!

Yes my friend was. She went back home and canceled her trip.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 6:49 pm
We were living in Israel, flew out of Israel to America on an American passport when DS's passport still had six months on it, but when it came time to fly back to Israel he only had five months. The Turkish Airlines agent didn't want to let him through but we argued with him that DS was born in Israel and his American passport was initially issued in Israel so it's as if he's flying back to his home country (or something to that affect, it was awhile ago.) he called a superior in Turkey and eventually let us through BH.

amother
Tulip

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 6:54 pm
I never heard of this until now.
In November 2023 we flew to isreal. My husband’s passport just expired in March 2024.
I guess we got lucky.
I was pregnant and traveling with children so it could be the agent had mercy.
I could be a 1/1000000 story…

happy12

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 8:13 pm
Renewal by mail is currently about 3 weeks. Two of my children did it in the Las 3 months. One even got it back in 2 weeks.
Not expedited.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics