Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
It is not a chiyuv to go to shul for zachur
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 2:17 pm
If you have a newborn, a bunch of little kids, or in general find it hard to go to shul for zachur, please know that it is not a requirement to go to shul. You can say it yourself from a chumash.
If you have a hard time going, please discuss with your Rav if you should be going or not.
Gut shabbos

NechaMom

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 2:19 pm
If you do manage to go I won't judge you if you go with a robe!

amother
Cinnamon

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 2:20 pm
I second this. I have few lil kids and to get myself ready with all kids is hard. I watch my neighbors go all harried as I sit home cozily.
And its not a bigger mitzva to hear it vs saying it.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 2:21 pm
NechaMom wrote:
If you do manage to go I won't judge you if you go with a robe!

Yes!! Especially to the the corner Shul lol.

amother
Currant

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 2:22 pm
That is not true. Please don’t tell people things that are against what Halacha states.
Everyone- including women are required to hear this pesukim read from a kosher sefer Torah. It is preferable if there is a minyan but not required. The pesukim should be lained using the correct trope.

amother
Bellflower

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 2:22 pm
You could go early for Megillah and hear it in shul on purim

amother
Currant

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 2:23 pm
amother Cinnamon wrote:
I second this. I have few lil kids and to get myself ready with all kids is hard. I watch my neighbors go all harried as I sit home cozily.
And its not a bigger mitzva to hear it vs saying it.

Very incorrect.
Do you think women all over make themselves crazy to get to shul on time if it’s not what Halacha requires?

amother
Gardenia

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 2:23 pm
Detailed writeup here: https://www.deracheha.org/arba-parashiyot/

Scroll down to the Zachor part specifically.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 2:27 pm
Please ask your lor before taking advice from a random poster. We hold that we go and we make it work. The shuls have womens readings and the dh can babysit then

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 2:36 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Please ask your lor before taking advice from a random poster. We hold that we go and we make it work. The shuls have womens readings and the dh can babysit then

I explicitly said to ask a Rav if they should go.
Women need to know that this is something they can ask a Rav about & they may not need to run to shul with a newborn baby.

amother
Calendula

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 2:40 pm
Or leave the baby with husband

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 2:40 pm
amother Currant wrote:
Very incorrect.
Do you think women all over make themselves crazy to get to shul on time if it’s not what Halacha requires?

Many don't know that it's something they can ask a Rav about.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 2:41 pm
amother Calendula wrote:
Or leave the baby with husband

Or if you're postpartum and don't have energy to leave the house, you may not need to go to shul.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 2:45 pm
amother Currant wrote:
That is not true. Please don’t tell people things that are against what Halacha states.
Everyone- including women are required to hear this pesukim read from a kosher sefer Torah. It is preferable if there is a minyan but not required. The pesukim should be lained using the correct trope.

There is no halachic requirement for women to hear zachur from a sefer torah. But because it has become accepted practice, some poskim hold that women should do their best to go to shul. But it is a minhag & not halacha.
I think it's important for women to know that they have the option of asking a sheila about this.

amother
Peony

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 2:53 pm
Op what’s in it for you? Why are you so passionate about it? If it’s too hard for someone to get to shul I’m sure they can figure out what to do.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 2:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
If you have a newborn, a bunch of little kids, or in general find it hard to go to shul for zachur, please know that it is not a requirement to go to shul. You can say it yourself from a chumash.
If you have a hard time going, please discuss with your Rav if you should be going or not.
Gut shabbos

I actually DID ask my Rav, and he said it needs to be leined from a klaf.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 3:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
I explicitly said to ask a Rav if they should go.
Women need to know that this is something they can ask a Rav about & they may not need to run to shul with a newborn baby.

You are saying two separate things, one of which might be incorrect from a halachic standpoint.
1. (According to my Rav, and all that I’ve ever learned) zachor needs to be leined from a klaf.
2. The reason there are multiple readings is precisely because getting out in the morning is hard. This way, women can help each other out, or a woman can leave her kids with her husband or a baby sitter. Obviously if it is complicated for a woman to get out, as it is for many of us, a rav should be consulted.
Asking a rav does not negate the fact that it needs to be leined from a klaf.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 3:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
There is no halachic requirement for women to hear zachur from a sefer torah. But because it has become accepted practice, some poskim hold that women should do their best to go to shul. But it is a minhag & not halacha.
I think it's important for women to know that they have the option of asking a sheila about this.

There is ALWAYS an option to ask a shaila, Halacha or not.
Can you please post a source that a woman doesn’t need to hear it from a klaf? That it is minhag and not Halacha to do so?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 3:04 pm
My husband holds like OP does and I'm ok saying this not anonymously. It's a valid opinion and he makes sure to remind me from year to year (despite the fact that I almost always go to shul on any given week and I've not needed to miss zachor in shul even 4 weeks after having a baby, I was already out and about).

We did have a shaila when I was a kid of a bar mitzvah bochur who may not have been really old enough reading it and at my father leined it privately afterwards.

Yes, it's something we take seriously, but as OP says, when there's hardship, it's worth asking a shaila as not everyone always knows there's a shaila that can be asked.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 3:08 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
I actually DID ask my Rav, and he said it needs to be leined from a klaf.

But many say you don't.

Op was saying, similar to fasting minor fasts, there are different opinions on this & it's possible you really don't have to push yourself. We hold like this. So ask if you need to.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note