Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Missed Megillah reading. Am I yotzei listening only tomorrow
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 23 2024, 10:51 pm
Is it ok to listen only once on Purim?

amother
Lime

Post Sat, Mar 23 2024, 10:56 pm
Call your lor

amother
Amber

Post Sat, Mar 23 2024, 11:01 pm
No

amother
Red

Post Sat, Mar 23 2024, 11:04 pm
Halacha is twice. So you are yotzei tomorrow but not tonight. No late night ones where you live?

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sat, Mar 23 2024, 11:11 pm
Where do you live? Maybe someone knows a late reading.

Rappel

Post Sat, Mar 23 2024, 11:43 pm
Ask your LOR, but I believe you can listen twice tomorrow.

amother
Crimson

Post Sat, Mar 23 2024, 11:44 pm
Where do you live? There are so many late ones.

I also saw ppl advertising megilla on the phone if your rabbi lets.

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 1:03 am
As per Guidelines by Rabbis Barclay and Jaeger, There's no such thing as a makeup extra one by day. If you absolutely cannot make it to a reading, iirc you can read it yourself without a bracha and/or listen to a phone/broadcast (which usually would not be cool but if it's the only way you can possibly hear it, then you go with that)

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 1:12 am
The Halacha is to hear it twice, but there’s been a few years since I’ve had kids that I did it only once… I know my limits and running around to catch a late reading on an already stressful day would be the thing that puts me over the edge.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 2:29 am
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
The Halacha is to hear it twice, but there’s been a few years since I’ve had kids that I did it only once… I know my limits and running around to catch a late reading on an already stressful day would be the thing that puts me over the edge.

So sad when we forget what the really important mitzvahs are for Purim and instead spend it driving around to teacher to give MM etc….

Like all of a sudden Purim is a big charidy campaign, and teacher/rebbe project instead of a Yom Tov!

Again, it should be on the community and each individual to make sure that everyone gets to perform the basic mitzvah of the day.

Make your rav aware if you’re having an issue!

emee2

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 2:37 am
OP if it’s any consolation. I didn’t hear it tonight. My babysitter didn’t show up.

amother
Lily

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 2:40 am
What do single mothers of little children do? They are already in bed and if a babysitter doesn’t show up…

I’ve never thought about it before.

emee2

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 2:52 am
amother Lily wrote:
What do single mothers of little children do? They are already in bed and if a babysitter doesn’t show up…

I’ve never thought about it before.

This is exactly what happened to me. I’m a single mom and had sleeping children at home so I arranged for a babysitter but she went to her reading and then forgot to come to me.

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 3:00 am
You try to call for a backup sitter and if that doesn't work then you rely on the phone/webcast/recording/self-read bedieved options.

amother
Lily

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 3:13 am
emee2 wrote:
This is exactly what happened to me. I’m a single mom and had sleeping children at home so I arranged for a babysitter but she went to her reading and then forgot to come to me.

I feel really bad about this. I know it’s not relevant for tonight anymore but is there a neighborhood chat you can post on if it ever happens again? I would send my teens at a time like this.

amother
Dahlia

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 6:59 am
emee2 wrote:
OP if it’s any consolation. I didn’t hear it tonight. My babysitter didn’t show up.

You should’ve called your rav, who probably would’ve connected you with someone who can come over. My husband leins, had he known of someone sitting at home stuck without a babysitter he would 100% have been happy to go and read for you. He is not unusual, there are many men who would do the same if they knew someone is in a pinch.

amother
Daisy

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 7:05 am
Wow, you are all sound so mean and judgemental instead of giving her advice and being nice about it. Op, did you end up hearing Megillah?

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 7:14 am
According to halacha the main Megillah reading is the one by day. It's better to hear both, and both get a bracha, but the more important one is the daytime reading. (And it takes priority over Shalach Manos beyond the minimums etc.)

(DH is leining for prisoners and can only do the daytime leining, so he made sure to know the halacha.)

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 7:20 am
I once heard Megillah at night, but then had a baby in the daytime. My husband tried to lean for us, but he does not really know how. The baby was born in the late morning/ early afternoon and it was the last thing on my mind at the time.

amother
Ebony

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 7:28 am
Why don't you read it yourself? Do you have a kosher megillah?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics