Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
URGENT! Senior driver drives too slow, got ticket for 36mph
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 1:12 am
A relative who is a senior and ALWAYS drives so slow, that nearby drivers swerve/speed past them, just got a ticket (Brooklyn) for allegedly driving 36mph in a 25 mph school zone.

I understand the importance of driving slower in a school zone, but I think the issue is that if you drive within 10 miles of the posted speed, you dont get a ticket, you drive 11 miles over, you do get a ticket.

This relative thinks the machine that records driving speed, was inaccurate.

WWD?

DrMom

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 1:22 am
Why is this urgent?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 2:01 am
DrMom wrote:
Why is this urgent?

Were thinking whether to fight it or pay it.

amother
Lotus

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 2:35 am
Pay it. Seniors need to be able to follow rules. That's way over the speed limit.
P. S. And driving too slowly can also be dangerous.

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 3:07 am
They always send those tickets with time stamped pictures of the car. If you have the picture of the car at point A and then x milliseconds later it's at point B, then you're over the limit. I believe the city is scamming us in many ways but I don't think the speed cameras are lying (except about being in school zones when there are no schools nearby and it's far from school hours... But not about speed.)

I don't think there's what to fight. Maybe even though they're always slow, they spaced out for a minute and went faster than they realized this time.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 3:09 am
I’ve gotten these in Staten Island. 25mph in a school zone with no school in sight at 1 am. It’s $50. Not worth the time or energy to fight them.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 3:09 am
There is no such thing as within 10 mph over, no ticket. FYI

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 3:17 am
amother Orange wrote:
There is no such thing as within 10 mph over, no ticket. FYI

Legally, there isn't; they're allowed to ticket you even 1 mph over the limit. But practically speaking, as a de facto rule, they don't. I'm sure it'll change as they continue to botch their budgets, but for now we have just that much grace.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 6:09 am
seeker wrote:
Legally, there isn't; they're allowed to ticket you even 1 mph over the limit. But practically speaking, as a de facto rule, they don't. I'm sure it'll change as they continue to botch their budgets, but for now we have just that much grace.
Pretty sure the cameras WILL ticket you even if you're less than 10 over.

CPenzias

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 6:20 am
groisamomma wrote:
I’ve gotten these in Staten Island. 25mph in a school zone with no school in sight at 1 am. It’s $50. Not worth the time or energy to fight them.

Same. I got a ticket in SI on new years. I paid it and wrote THIS IS A SCAM but they still cashed my check lol

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 7:02 am
I got two camera tickets in a school zone in the same minute a few seconds apart going 11 miles over so 36.. trying to fight

amother
Zinnia

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 7:14 am
For next time - I often drive with google maps on (I put in a destination) because it warns you about speed limits. I once got one of those tickets, and I’m a very cautious driver.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 7:15 am
my relative is a traffic lawyer in NY for many years. He doesn't reccomend fighting camera tickets pretty much ever. Not worth your time and energy.

amother
Bone

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 7:24 am
Certain areas of the 5 boroughs are crawling with speed cameras.

What's more is that sometimes the speed limit is 25 mph when the spacing and flow of traffic should allow it to be higher. It's disgusting.

If someone is driving all day and is unaware, they can pickup 10 of these speed camera tickets. How awful.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 7:27 am
amother Bone wrote:
Certain areas of the 5 boroughs are crawling with speed cameras.

What's more is that sometimes the speed limit is 25 mph when the spacing and flow of traffic should allow it to be higher. It's disgusting.

If someone is driving all day and is unaware, they can pickup 10 of these speed camera tickets. How awful.
Its the new way for the city to pay for all the illegal migrant stuff. Granted there have been cameras and tickets before, but recently theres a huge uptick in them.

CPenzias

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 7:28 am
amother Olive wrote:
my relative is a traffic lawyer in NY for many years. He doesn't reccomend fighting camera tickets pretty much ever. Not worth your time and energy.

Does your relative think they're a scam? I'm just curious. I really think they should be turned off during non school hours. It's so unfair 😫

cnc

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 8:43 am
amother Lime wrote:

They won't. They ticket 11 miles over and more...

amother
Green

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 8:48 am
Prob best to reserve urgent for situations where there is immediate concern like a health or safety issue.
But in terms of your question the camera doesn’t lie and if it did you still couldn’t fight it probably so just grin and bear it and pay.
Part of the joys of brooklyn

amother
Tomato

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 9:07 am
If it’s so hard to believe that he can drive 36 mph perhaps it’s time for him to stop driving. He is endangering others by driving too slow.

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 9:14 am
amother Lime wrote:

I know anecdotes are not data but both I and dh flirt with the limit all the time, our area is riddled with cameras, and we've only gotten tickets on the occasions that we (he, actually) went at least 10 over. Bli ayin hara.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries