Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Lab diamonds, does it really matter?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

Librarian

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 12:21 am
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
Where’d u purchase this?

The earrings at Hostess International
The ring from Moshe Kornblue who I bought earth grown diamond ring, tennis bracelet and tennis necklace for my last kallah. Great prices, very honest.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 12:27 am
Thank you for that referral

amother
Daffodil

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 12:42 am
I just bought myself a three carat pair of studs. $1900. Stunning and gorgeous.

Way more than fifty percent discounted from ‘real diamonds’

I did some research. If people will be able to get stunning diamonds at a third of the price then these diamonds will become super popular.

Actually, they are already

Which means that way more people are walking around with huge diamonds and those with small ones will feel the need to increase their sizes too with future purchases.

Mostly they’ll end up with lab because the w size they’ll want will be unaffordable in blood diamonds.

So they’ll buy lab… and slowly blood diamonds will lose value.

As a btw they hardly make one carat lab grown diamonds, if at all.

For the record, to echo most knowledgeable posters, they are THE EXACT SAME THING. The difference is in HOW THEY WERE MINED!

Regarding resale, if I want to resell my kallah bracelet purchased for $1100 years ago it is now $100.

And the Point is obviously if you pay less for an item you will get back less.

Where did you get them?

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 12:45 am
amother Daffodil wrote:
Where did you get them?

Feldmans

amother
Daffodil

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 12:49 am
Feldmans

In boro park?

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 12:52 am
amother Daffodil wrote:
In boro park?

Yes

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 12:54 am
amother Trillium wrote:
I wear smaller (not tiny) real diamonds and don’t feel the need to get larger. I like a smaller classier more modest look. I also think that smaller diamonds look more real. Whenever I see someone with huge diamonds I assume they’re lab.

Regarding the bolded - I find that interesting.

We’re wealthy bh and big diamonds on me make so much sense. As do many of my husbands friends diamonds.
I know people that aren’t wealthy but they love jewelry and spend tons in this area

You can never know

amother
Daffodil

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 12:55 am
Yes

Thank you!

amother
Bone

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 1:41 am
I’m married over a decade so I have mined diamonds. I love the look of a large lab grown. Iyh I plan to upgrade as soon as I can fit it in the budget.

Mined diamonds are the biggest scam and I’m so happy there’s an alternative now.

amother
Blueberry

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 3:24 am
When I was 25 I got engaged to a great guy bh , whose parents were in chinch , and I wasn’t expecting much in terms of jewelry. I got a pretty small diamond ring, under a Carrat, and although I was thrilled with my chosson and in laws (and still am 20 years later) I was kind of disappointed at the size of my stone. My mother and siblings and friends all had between 1 and 2 carrot rings and mine just felt …. Small. After a couple of years I stopped wearing my ring altogether , since after having my first kid I developed some sensory issues , and I honestly just don’t care for my ring and never really enjoyed really it.
I wish I was given the option back then of a lab grown diamond , that was a more typical in carrot size , even if it wasn’t mined. I would have chosen the lab for sure. It must feel so special and nice to wear a shiny large stone , although I wouldn’t know!
On the other hand, getting a lab without telling the recipient just seems a little unethical to me
For some reason. I can’t put my finger on why. My coworkers son got engaged last month and they bought the kallah a giant lab. And didn’t tell her . She’s happy, but I wonder if/when she finds out , she’ll feel yucky about it. Idk
For me if I had a budget when my sons get engaged I would tell their kallahs they can either get ___mine diamond , or the option of getting a lab diamond and seeing what more you can get with it.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 5:00 am
eta14 wrote:
I don't understand why ppl care about resale value...like are you planning on selling your new diamond jewelry lol

Guess it's a thing of the past when your could sell your diamond in a time of war and bribe the authorities and flee.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 5:13 am
DrMom wrote:
I predict that diamond engagement rings will go out of style altogether in the near future as people seek out more unique rings.

Absolutely!
People driven by status will go for other stones which can't be lab made as diamonds have become too common and too cheap.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 5:17 am
I wanted real for my engagement ring. For anything else I don't really care.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 5:29 am
amother Blueberry wrote:
When I was 25 I got engaged to a great guy bh , whose parents were in chinch , and *I wasn’t expecting much* in terms of jewelry. I got a pretty small diamond ring, under a Carrat, and although I was thrilled with my chosson and in laws (and still am 20 years later) *I was kind of disappointed* at the size of my stone. My mother and siblings and friends all had between 1 and 2 carrot rings and mine just felt …. Small.

Be honest with yourself. You were disappointed.

amother
Crocus

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 5:30 am
My diamond ring is almost 2 carat and costed over 10k. It’s beautiful and I’m grateful but I don’t think I’ll do the same for my DILs. (Unless hashem blesses us with as much wealth as my in-law’s…)

For my 5th anniversary and 2nd child DH offered 3k present. At that point diamonds and gold were really high and 3k would not have gotten me much.

So I got a lab grown 30 pointer eternity band. The jeweler wasn’t great or honest, the band wasn’t secure, I started losing stones. BH they were lab!!

2 years later, I paid another 1k for a new setting completely with a different Jewler and got the diamonds replaced for very cheap. I didn’t tell him it was lab and he honestly didn’t know until I did tell him. He was floored.

Bh the new setting is beautiful and I haven’t lost a stone since. I really don’t see the need for mine diamonds. It’s so overrated.

When I mentioned to my diamond loving sisters something about lab diamonds they were traumatized. They think my eternity band was over 6k paid for by my in-laws. Ha. I didn’t bother telling them. They’d make fun of me for days.

Fun fact- the sister most traumatized wears her MIL Diamond (and she’s none the wiser), when her in-laws married off they had no money so her mil took her own Diamond and reset it for my sister.

faigie

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 6:35 am
amother Cantaloupe wrote:
So much misinformation on this thread. Natural diamonds are not holding their value. They have lost almost half their value when considering inflation over the last decade.

There is no way for even a jeweler with a magnifying glass to tell the difference between a lab created and mined diamond. That’s how identical they are. It takes specialized equipment and makes no practical difference in durability, shine, or any other properties whatsoever. Anyone who says differently is thinking of CZ which is entirely different and not a chemical diamond at all.

Why spend four times the price on the identical thing. In the non Jewish world close to 80% of engagement rings have switched to lab created. It’s only a matter of time.

Your chart shows that the value of the lab grown diamond tanked, and the value of the real diamond fluctuated very little over the same period of time….the light blue lines are natural stones, the dark blue represent the reproductions.
You can buy stock in diamonds on the stock market. There is no stock or value in reproductions.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 6:59 am
amother Mint wrote:
Lab grown is 'real'.

Just curious what you think of lab-grown embryos. Are they any less real that human embryos? Is there a difference between IVF babies and natural babies?

Lol, I think the biggest difference in this case is the lab grown embryos cost a great deal more!

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 8:19 am
amother Lilac wrote:
Lol, I think the biggest difference in this case is the lab grown embryos cost a great deal more!

Yup, lol. But the concept is the same. Instead of things starting to grow the natural way, we take the same set of materials and artificially initiate the process. The end result is the exactly the same.

amother
Trillium

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 8:37 am
Regarding the bolded - I find that interesting.

We’re wealthy bh and big diamonds on me make so much sense. As do many of my husbands friends diamonds.
I know people that aren’t wealthy but they love jewelry and spend tons in this area

You can never know

I know that. My husband’s family is very wealthy and my mother in law wears 30k real Diamond studs. Hers look real bec I know they are lol
She’s also over 70 so it doesn’t look as tacky as they would on a 30 year old

But if I see you on the street and don’t know your financial status but I see you like ostentatious displays of wealth ie designer clothes I will assume your jewelry is lab because you value big and showy.

amother
Offwhite

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 8:41 am
I want to add that the older generation is not going to change. They believe in blood diamonds and it’s not changing

But as time passes the new generation, for sure by the secular, us fully immersed in lab grown. They’ll spend the same 6k on earrings as you would, but much larger diamonds

Not everyone wants a much larger diamond. It’s a show offy look, lab grown or mined.
Page 5 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics