Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
How do you handle your kids nosh?
1  2  Next

English3

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 9:15 am
What is you nosh rules on purim?
My kids got so much, I would love to hear from the wise imas what they do.

Stars

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 9:17 am
Free for all

s1

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 9:19 am
They can trade with each other, choose a few bits to give away to Gift (charity) and eat the rest. First week or so they can have what they want when they want. After that it's put away for shabbos.

613mitzvahgirl

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 9:19 am
We put the nosh in one bag and sort it and then we give it for recess snacks, DH for Yeshiva and work, Shobbos party nosh, and nish on it during the week.

ray family

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 9:22 am
I don’t.
I make sure they eat a good breakfast

I try to have real food out so they can also heal that to nosh on.
We donate stuff to a local org that collects for children in hospitals so my kids get rid of a lot of stuff that way.
But that’s it. In purim I try not to play police all day

English3

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 9:23 am
Stars wrote:
Free for all

Are you not worried about their teeth at all?
How do you deal with their moods after?

English3

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 9:24 am
s1 wrote:
They can trade with each other, choose a few bits to give away to Gift (charity) and eat the rest. First week or so they can have what they want when they want. After that it's put away for shabbos.

Yes I do similar I just find the nosh sits in the cupboard forever.

English3

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 9:26 am
613mitzvahgirl wrote:
We put the nosh in one bag and sort it and then we give it for recess snacks, DH for Yeshiva and work, Shobbos party nosh, and nish on it during the week.

Your kids dont mind sharing all the nosh? That so nice. My kids get very excited with their treats I wish they would share it.

teachkids

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 9:39 am
One morning snack, one morning treat, one lunch dessert, one afternoon snack, one afternoon treat, and they get a bag to fill with what they want to keep, and everything else goes out of the house.

socialbutterfly

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 9:41 am
I can't micromanage on this day. So I don't.

It's one day. They'll survive.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 9:44 am
They pick 3 to eat today, I also have a bunch of prizes I got for today that I give them. And then for the next two weeks they can take 2 things from their stash to school every day. My kids feel really sick from eating non stop junk and that’s not enjoyable for anyone. BH this works amazing for us.

amother
Mulberry

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:15 am
On Purim whatever they want
I try to give them a good breakfast so they are not starving. After Purim I put with test of candy and Nosh and they ask bf taking. I am not super strict about this stuff. There is enough to be strict about without obsessing over sugar

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:25 am
I do not allow any junk before a pull propper breakfast and that's non negotiable. I also make then stop eating junk half hour b4 the meal and they need to eat a bit challah and one portion protein to get the dessert.
The rest it's totally up to them. They can sell it back to me, (I offer that option) they can regift it, eat it, share it... but I do remind then 2-3x during the day to be careful with their food intake. We've have vomit and sick kids before on purim from too much junk.
Noone wants to be sick so they are more careful now.
Ages 4-10 (4 yo is super mature though)
The toddler I'm more in control. If she asks I have stretch Island fruitleather in NY pocket or sugarbased natural lolipops....
If she insists, it's purim for her too!!!

Whatever stays left over can be taken to school as a treat over the next few days/weeks.

DVOM

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:35 am
I find my kids enjoy collecting it more than eating it. They taste a few things, but mostly they hoard it. They each end the day with a trash bag full of candy. The morning after purim there's hours of intense nosh trading, and when the dust settles they each have to put their nosh bag in their locker and can use it for school snacks and Shabbos treats.

On Purim we also have a big breakfast (eggs and toast this morning) and I make sure to serve lunch (soup and pasta, plus lots of salads, rolls, dips and assorted yummy stuff we got in shalach manos this morning).

amother
Tealblue

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:38 am
Give them a good breakfast.
Make sure they eat lunch.
In between they can have nosh. It's one day. Let them enjoy.
Later in the day is the seuda so they'll eat a normal meal again before bed.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:48 am
I have them eat healthy food too.

After purim I let them sell me whatever they want to sell me, they make good $.

After Purim I don't have too much rules with what they kept, except
- no junk too close to supper
- no caffeine in the evening
- ill stop them if I see they are going way overboard

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:52 am
They need real breakfast (and not yom tov cereal like a few of my kids tried persuading me to let 😂 )
Healthy lunch, we had salmon and scrambled eggs and veggies with dip available

3 treats, one sugary drink from their mishloach manos on Purim itself
Rest is saved for their own usage spread out until it's done

lilytee

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:58 am
I made sure my kids had a good breakfast before anything else. I also bought a huge box of party favors and keep it on my counter for them to exchange if they want to.
I do not micromanage.

I’m happy that they exchanged all real junk And I was even happier to see that most friends gave healthier versions of junk.
I also make a point to throw it out in front of them to teach them that their bodies are not garbage cans.

amother
Bellflower

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:03 am
It’s one day a year. They handle it

Rachel Shira

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:14 am
I let them eat whatever, basically. I let them know it’s fine to throw anything away that they don’t want and I find that they throw away many candies half-eaten. I made them pause the candy until they ate lunch.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics