Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Please explain to me what wanting woman to Lein Megilla is
  1  2  3  12  13  14  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 3:37 pm
all about.

There are countless threads about woman being overworked these days, with woman being main breadwinners yet still doing the bulk of childcare, housework etc etc.

People want to know why men 'babysit' for their own kids, can't cook for a couple of weeks when wife is pp and countless other things.

So please explain why women think it's unfair that men are the ones who generally lein megilla when it seems we can do just as good a job if not better? It's something men do, do all these woman want ANOTHER responsibility that men happily take care of?

What's behind it?

Elfrida

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 3:56 pm
Some women don't want to have it taken care of. They want to invest effort in their Avodat Hashem, and this is one way they feel they can do that.

tichellady

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 4:26 pm
I don’t understand this question. Can you not imagine that there are women who enjoy doing this? That there are women who are not married or don’t have young children or do and have a supportive partner? Do you also question women who say tehilim or make chessed meals even though they are busy?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 4:28 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Some women don't want to have it taken care of. They want to invest effort in their Avodat Hashem, and this is one way they feel they can do that.

Doesn't really ansa my question.
We want the men to take care of us by sharing childcare, parnosa, housework etc. But when they lein megilla for us we say 'it's not fair, we can do a good job of it too...why can't we lein?'

tichellady

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 4:28 pm
Also if a girl learns to layn when she’s a teen she doesn’t need to spend much time on practicing as an adult. It’s not like she needs to spend 100 hours, more like 20 minutes

Last edited by tichellady on Sun, Mar 24 2024, 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 4:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
We want the men to take care of us by sharing childcare, parnosa, housework etc. But when they lein megilla for us we say 'it's not fair, we can do a good job of it too...why can't we lein?'

"We" is not everybody. Can you imagine that there are women who are not clones of yourself?

I personally, like you, am overwhelmed enough with what I DO have to do, I'm not looking to add to my responsibilities. But if a woman wants? And she's allowed? And it works?

Why does this bother you so much, OP?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 4:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
all about.

There are countless threads about woman being overworked these days, with woman being main breadwinners yet still doing the bulk of childcare, housework etc etc.

People want to know why men 'babysit' for their own kids, can't cook for a couple of weeks when wife is pp and countless other things.

So please explain why women think it's unfair that men are the ones who generally lein megilla when it seems we can do just as good a job if not better? It's something men do, do all these woman want ANOTHER responsibility that men happily take care of?

What's behind it?

For the women who want to lein, who said its a responsibility? Its something they want to do.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 4:53 pm
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
"We" is not everybody. Can you imagine that there are women who are not clones of yourself?

I personally, like you, am overwhelmed enough with what I DO have to do, I'm not looking to add to my responsibilities. But if a woman wants? And she's allowed? And it works?

Why does this bother you so much, OP?

Yes I see your point. It doesn't bother me per se, I just find it ironic that we moan when have too much to do, and also whenwe can't do something. That's all.

tichellady

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 4:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes I see your point. It doesn't bother me per se, I just find it ironic that we moan when have too much to do, and also whenwe can't do something. That's all.

I don’t think it’s the same people

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 4:55 pm
tichellady wrote:
I don’t think it’s the same people

Guess there's my answer.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 5:13 pm
amother OP wrote:

Its just human nature.
A d they arent the same things.

DrMom

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 5:23 pm
Some women may have a talent for leining.

Others for baking or playing guitar or teaching or cooking or fashion or writing.

Why is it so unfathomable that people want to use the talents that Hashem gave them?

Also, it is Megillat Esther; Why is it so weird for a woman to read it?

chanatron1000

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 5:34 pm
Why do people complain about having to do laundry and then knit a sweater when store bought sweaters do the job just fine?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 5:36 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
Why do people complain about having to do laundry and then knit a sweater when store bought sweaters do the job just fine?

Hmm..ok.

amother
Bluebell

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 5:47 pm
amother OP wrote:

You anyways have to stand there and participate. Lining is more active. If they take care of other things it frees you up. Also, if a woman really values avodas Hashem, she is likely to want to do it all the way. Something our community doesn’t appreciate

dandilions

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 5:48 pm
Your argument is quite dated to be honest, it takes feminism and equality back many years. The reason women are so busy is because we don’t yet have equality, so we have too much to do. We are accepting our position if we say we are too busy to do something that we want to do, and sit back and let the men do it.

You may as well say, women are so busy, why do they want to add to their plate by voting/driving/etc.

if women want men to split home responsibilities in half… it makes sense that women are equally happy to do half of what men do. In this case it means reading the Megillah.
Obviously it’s hard to split non-quantifiable things precisely in half but you get the idea of what I mean

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:01 pm
I can’t speak for anyone, but I think it’s because they’re uneducated. They think that men are better (which isn’t true, men are different and have different mitzvot). Some think they have to prove something. So for example when I see a woman wearing a kipah, I think to myself that women have so many special mitzvot only for them. When I can do those mitzvot 100% correctly then I can try to take on something. Like tefillin or leining or whatever.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:09 pm
amother Tan wrote:
I can’t speak for anyone, but I think it’s because they’re uneducated. They think that men are better (which isn’t true, men are different and have different mitzvot). Some think they have to prove something. So for example when I see a woman wearing a kipah, I think to myself that women have so many special mitzvot only for them. When I can do those mitzvot 100% correctly then I can try to take on something. Like tefillin or leining or whatever.

To me, it seems it comes from an inferiority complex, like 'woman are just as good as men so why can't we do....'

But no one needs to worry, the Torah holds women in high regard. No need to prove it to anyone.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:16 pm
amother Tan wrote:

Not true, really?

Which mitzvos do women have that are equal to men's mitvos????

Women have so many special mitzvos only for them? Like?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:17 pm
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
Not true, really?

Which mitzvos do women have that are equal to men's mitvos????

Women have so many special mitzvos only for them? Like?

TH, Challah, Shabbos candles to name a few.
Page 1 of 14   1  2  3  12  13  14  Next Recent Topics