Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How to handle toddler that hits for fun?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 12:05 pm
my just turned 2 yr old loves to smack me in my face. hard. it hurts. we don't hit in my house so idk where he got the idea from and he's not doing it out of anger, it's just fun for him.

how do I get him to stop this?

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 12:13 pm
Children to not have to be taught to hit, it's instinctive.

Children have to be taught NOT to hit.

Your toddler can't reach your face, so don't put your face in hitting distance from toddler.

If he does hit, say NO!!! put him down and walk away. Even if he cries, don't give attention. Maybe leave the room and close the door. He will learn not to hit.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 12:21 pm
I hold him so that's putting my face into hitting range. I have to lift him for different parenting duties, bath time, changing diaper time, playing on the floor together...

amother
Daisy

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 12:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
I hold him so that's putting my face into hitting range. I have to lift him for different parenting duties, bath time, changing diaper time, playing on the floor together...

Sowhen he hits, say NO and put him back down. He an cry for a bit, thats normal. If he hits during bathtime, say NO, turn away or sit back for a few minutes
If you make sure to be firm and consistent, he should catch on pretty quickly

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 12:27 pm
Say booboo mommy fake cry, show her it hurts and hold her hand tight so she can't take it back for like 5 seconds. The other option is completely ignore and it will stop

Iymnok

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 12:32 pm
amother Pewter wrote:
Say booboo mommy fake cry, show her it hurts and hold her hand tight so she can't take it back for like 5 seconds. The other option is completely ignore and it will stop

No need to use babytalk. Clearly saying, "no hitting mommy", and separating him from you is enough.
Do not hurt him.
If he keeps hitting, then hold his hands for a few minutes. If he can't control his hands, you will. But this method works better a little older.

amother
Daisy

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 12:35 pm
amother Pewter wrote:

IMO this is playing along with his 'fun' game

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 12:44 pm
amother Pewter wrote:

Yeah like others are saying I wouldn’t do this. That could actually be amusing for him/her.
I’d say no hitting, hitting hurts and put them down and ignore for a minute.

amother
Blueberry

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 1:03 pm
My 2 year old hits
I say firmly "we do not hit" and then I walk away and get busy with something else
It's gotten better

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 1:06 pm
I had a different but similar issue with a child as a toddler, and Mrs. Trenk (parenting mentor) advised me to restrain her if she does it. Like in this case, I would say if your toddler hits, you restrain his hand (gently) for a minute or so, to give him the message that he will have to be restrained if he hits. And she said best is to prevent the action - so you would restrain his hand if he's lifting it to hit.

amother
Pansy

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 1:25 pm
Most likely, the things listed above should work if done consistently. If they do not, for example if you have already tried it all, please take a hard look at your toddler's other behaviors and acquisition of skills. Sometimes kids with some delays or with sensory issues will do things like this and it can take much longer to extinguish, or may need different methods.

There is something called a functional behavior analysis that works on and with what the child gets out of the behavior. You have identified it as fun. You may need to figure out what specifically causes him pleasure and either eliminate it or lead him to another way of getting it. If he likes the scream or the attention, you don't scream and don't pay attention. If he likes how it feels, maybe find another thing he can slap that makes that noise and put that in place whole also withdrawing the attention and benefita of hitting you.

Does he also slap other things? His own body? Does he laugh when he does it?

amother
Lightcyan

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 1:37 pm
Are parents nowadays afraid to say NO? There is NO hitting.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 2:53 pm
amother OP wrote:

Hold baby facing AWAY from you.

amother
Maize

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 2:55 pm
amother Lightcyan wrote:

It's not about saying no or not. It's about practically how to get them to stop. And just saying no won't cut it, if you have toddlers...

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 3:00 pm
amother Lightcyan wrote:

Different children have different ways of absorbing a message. Some toddlers are more physical than verbal, so one toddler might listen to NO, and another will ignore that completely and needs something different.

Chanoch L'Naar Al Pi Darko.

writinggirl

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 4:00 pm
amother Lightcyan wrote:

If that’s all it takes to get your kids to stop doing things, consider yourself lucky. My two year old laughs at the word No and gets triggered to hit again.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics