Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
S/o school for dyslexia

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 10:18 am
I didn't want to hijack the thread. Why would someone need a school for dyslexia? Could the child not get remedial help in a regular school and catch up/keep up that way?

mha3484

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 10:22 am
I think it depends on how severe, how early its caught and how skilled the special education teachers are in the school your currently in if you even have them in some of our schools.

I have a 9 year old who had an amazing pre1a morah who saw he was really struggling, got him on the resource list early in the year and our schools resource teachers are trained in the right modalities to teach struggling readers so he never really fell behind. But if your school doesn't offer that, or your in 4th grade and still not reading on grade level, what the school offers may not be enough.

Also, a kid who spends more of their day out of class then in it isnt always great for their self esteem.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 10:53 am
mha3484 wrote:
I think it depends on how severe, how early its caught and how skilled the special education teachers are in the school your currently in if you even have them in some of our schools.

I have a 9 year old who had an amazing pre1a morah who saw he was really struggling, got him on the resource list early in the year and our schools resource teachers are trained in the right modalities to teach struggling readers so he never really fell behind. But if your school doesn't offer that, or your in 4th grade and still not reading on grade level, what the school offers may not be enough.

Also, a kid who spends more of their day out of class then in it isnt always great for their self esteem.

Really its this.
I always thought the way you do, and now my child is in this situation.

Why get pulled out for 90% of the school day?

mha3484

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 10:57 am
My son gets pulled out a lot for what we call general studies and its a mixed bag but he only gets chumash resource 2x a week so he is with the class very consistently for the first half of the day. If he was being pulled out for both to the same extent it would be a conversation if its serving him well.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 11:07 am
amother OP wrote:
I didn't want to hijack the thread. Why would someone need a school for dyslexia? Could the child not get remedial help in a regular school and catch up/keep up that way?

I'm the OP of the other thread. Not all schools offer enough support in the afternoon. You are very lucky if your school does. Wish our school did!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 5:07 pm
amother Forestgreen wrote:
I'm the OP of the other thread. Not all schools offer enough support in the afternoon. You are very lucky if your school does. Wish our school did!

Wouldn't it pay to just higher a private tutor twice a week. Unless the kid is already in 4th grade. I'm sure whatever you are doing is right for your child.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics