Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Can kids play with lacing cards on Shabbos?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 10:50 am
Is that considered sewing?

teachkids

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 11:12 am
I think as long as it's just 1 And not connecting two, but check with your lor

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 11:14 am
Thanks, I'll ask but wanted to know if there was a clear consensus here one way or another.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 12:49 pm
The consensus here is meaningless. Nobody here is a posek and everyone comes from a different community and follows a different rabbi. AYLOR. FWIW I believe my-son-the-rosh-chaburah told me that lacing one card is fine. Nevertheless, if I had lacing cards, I would put them away for Shabbos. It's too uncomfortably like sewing for my taste. I mean, if I can't apply skin lotion because the action is reminiscent of smoothing mortar while building a wall, why should lacing be permitted?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 6:10 pm
Because it's not the same action. Smoothing is the same, no matter the substance or location. There is no issue of lacing, only of connecting things, usually by sewing. So those who hold that just putting string in and out of holes are not considering it an issue of tofeir. Those who are machmir based on halachic rationale, fine. But please don't be machmir for no reason as there's an issue of bal tosif, and one should have a solid reason to take on more
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note