Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Camp Maaminim very selective

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 3:15 pm
Has anyone noticed that they are not accepting sefaradim or very few if any.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 3:17 pm
amother OP wrote:
Has anyone noticed that they are not accepting sefaradim or very few if any.

When did u apply?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 3:25 pm
Same they opened applications. But that’s besides the point

amother
Oatmeal

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 3:35 pm
I was just wondering why this is coming up now because acceptances were sent out months ago. I do know that they have limited spots and too many applicants .they grew very fast

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 3:51 pm
Oh, yes I hear that.it was just very frustrating. But we applied the day they opened applications. The kids from his class got in, all that applied. We reached to a few people who might have some pull, but nothing worked. And as per the rebbis understating it’s because of our last name which is very sefaradi.
So I wanted to see if this is a thing with this camp.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 4:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
Oh, yes I hear that.it was just very frustrating. But we applied the day they opened applications. The kids from his class got in, all that applied. We reached to a few people who might have some pull, but nothing worked. And as per the rebbis understating it’s because of our last name which is very sefaradi.
So I wanted to see if this is a thing with this camp.

I find that really hard to believe. Your child’s Rebbi said this? Something doesn’t sound right. In any case I’m sorry he didn’t get it that sounds very hard if all the other kids in his class did. If I were you I would reach out to the camp director himself and ask him to explain how he can accept all boys from one class except for one.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 5:08 pm
Lol, believe it. It happens more then it should.

The director didn’t give any real answer. They were avoiding giving any answer

amother
Lotus

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 5:12 pm
I wouldn't think it's because you are sephardi. Are there any other sephardi boys you know who didn't get in?

Totally off that his Rebbi would even say such a thing. Was it supposed to make you feel better? I'm pretty appalled.

There are many reasons people don't get accepted to very popular camps. I wouldn't assume it's because of your last name. Is there no reason you can think of? There might not be one, I'm just curious.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 4:10 pm
No reason, they wouldn’t give a reason. But it’s not like I’ve never experienced this before from other places. So now I’m wondering if this really is in fact the case here.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 4:13 pm
Many boys in my son’s class didn’t get in. They all applied the first day. There’s just not enough space. I am doubtful it’s personal. They are very sincere and good people.

amother
Lotus

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 5:49 pm
amother OP wrote:
No reason, they wouldn’t give a reason. But it’s not like I’ve never experienced this before from other places. So now I’m wondering if this really is in fact the case here.

I don't want to overstep but this does sound a tad like a victim mentality. Sometimes there really isn't room and sometimes there are other reasons to reject someone.

I'm curious where you have experienced rejection because of being sephardi.

This is coming from someone who married into the sephardi world and has a very sephardi sounding last name.

amother
Mimosa

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 5:51 pm
Perhaps the Ashkenazim had better pull. It can seem like they don't want the sefardim, butjust happened to come out that way.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 5:54 pm
To add,
My son got in, but one of his best friends did not. I don’t think there’s anything about my fairly typical 12 year old that made him more desirable than his best friend. I think sometimes there’s just no space. Of all the new kids in my son’s class who applied there, my son was the only one who got in. There aren’t enough quality camps.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children