Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Question for potato kugel experts

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 6:29 pm
I use the Braun food processor to grate my potatos for the kugel.
I always used the kugel blade on the quickest setting- speed 15.
A few months ago, I saw on two different chef's recipes that they advise to use the machine on speed 6 or 8.

My question is, what exactly is the difference? Obviously the texture is supposed to be different but I haven't noticed a difference, and it makes the grating go a bit slower.

Can anyone explain to me what difference it would make to the texture if I use a slower speed versus a higher speed? Thanks in advance.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 1:53 pm
Bump

amother
Petunia

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 2:01 pm
wouldn't it mean less juice separating from the potato? Like more texture, less goo?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 2:30 pm
On a slower speed you have more control over the exact texture. Personally, I find that stopping grating right before it becomes mush is the best texture. When on a higher setting, it is harder to stop it at the exact texture.

amother
Sand

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 2:41 pm
amother Aquamarine wrote:
On a slower speed you have more control over the exact texture. Personally, I find that stopping grating right before it becomes mush is the best texture. When on a higher setting, it is harder to stop it at the exact texture.

In this type of machine the potatoes are fed into the machine through a tube
They pass through the blade into the bowl below. They’re only in contact with the blade long enough to pass through the holes into the bowl.
Like op I also don’t see why it would make a difference how quickly or at what speed they go past the blade.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 2:51 pm
amother Sand wrote:
They pass through the blade into the bowl below. They’re only in contact with the blade long enough to pass through the holes into the bowl.
Like op I also don’t see why it would make a difference how quickly or at what speed they go past the blade.

Exactly this
And yet, Esto Wolbe and at least one other food blogger person holds that it needs to be on 8 or 6 .

Einikel

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 3:18 pm
I tried it and didn't go for it.

amother
Sand

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 4:03 pm
I tried it on 7 just for you op. It might come out a little less finely grated on the lower speed. The shreds of potato might be a little bigger and the grated potatoes are maybe a drop less watery.

amother
Forsythia

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 4:12 pm
As someone who keeps breaking the white piece that holds the kugel blade, I called you a drum store who told me that I need to use a lower setting.
That's what I'm going to do going forward bn.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 4:35 pm
Einikel wrote:
I tried it and didn't go for it.

you tried what?
Grating the kugel on 8? With the kugel blade?

Einikel

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 4:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
you tried what?
Grating the kugel on 8? With the kugel blade?

I always use the kugel blade. I tried the lower speed but didn't like the texture.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 4:37 pm
Einikel wrote:
I always use the kugel blade. I tried the lower speed but didn't like the texture.

So until now you did it on the highest speed (15), and now you tried it on I and didn't like it. Correct?

Einikel

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 4:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
So until now you did it on the highest speed (15), and now you tried it on I and didn't like it. Correct?

Yes. I tried it a while ago but have gone back to high speed (13-14)

amother
Lightgreen

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 5:29 pm
I do it on highest speed but I use 2 blades. 4 potatoes kugel blade and 4 another blade. Like that the kugel is not so mushy. My sister does it this way too . We like how the texture of it

ddmom

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 5:47 pm
amother Sand wrote:

It apparently makes a difference if so many ppl on this thread like it better on bigger speed! LOL

amother
Mulberry

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 6:03 pm
For me I always do it at 11
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics