Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Pasta in parve pot
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 10:29 am
Just put up pasta to cook for shalosh seudos in parve pot. As its boiling I'm realizing I only have milchig or fleshing strainer..so can't actually keep pasta parve and have to be careful not to mess up the pot, or struggle to strain pasta without strainer..scoop out with parve slotted spoon (?). Do most people have 3 strainers? Not cook parve pasta? What do you do?

ganmama

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 10:32 am
We have a pareve and a milchig strainer. I’ve never needed to strain meat… so I cook any pasta pareve and then go from there if I’m going to make a fleishig pasta dish.

mha3484

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 10:39 am
I dont have a dairy strainer so I either use a slotted spoon or if its a long pasta shape like spaghetti I use tongs or the spaghetti spoon with the tines. It works out fine.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 10:40 am
I would add cold water to the pot of cooked pasta. Wait for the pasta water to get cold enough that you can safely strain it into the sink using the lid of the pot or pick out the pasta with your hands. The nice thing about our hands is that clean hands are kosher, pareve, and even pesachdik.

amother
Impatiens

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 11:56 am
I use meaty or milky.

I dont think it actually changes the status of the pasta.

Just like using a meaty or milky pot would not change the status of the food.

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 12:50 pm
What are y'all putting in your colanders that makes them meat or dairy? Pretty sure mine is parve

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 1:00 pm
seeker wrote:
What are y'all putting in your colanders that makes them meat or dairy? Pretty sure mine is parve

Pasta cooked in fleishig pot goes in fleishig strainer and is washed on fleishig dishwasher.

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 1:03 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
Pasta cooked in fleishig pot goes in fleishig strainer and is washed on fleishig dishwasher.

Pretty sure pasta cooked in fleishig pot wouldn't make the colander fleishig. Not sure about the dishwasher though.

agreer

Yes, I have a pareve strainer.

They're so cheap. Buy one if you make pareve pasta often.

I don't think I ever made pasta in a fleishig pot.

amother
Lemonchiffon

amother Impatiens wrote:
I use meaty or milky.

I dont think it actually changes the status of the pasta.

Just like using a meaty or milky pot would not change the status of the food.

Wouldn't it become dairy or meat equipment based on what you use?

amother
Jean

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 1:06 pm
seeker wrote:
Pretty sure pasta cooked in fleishig pot wouldn't make the colander fleishig. Not sure about the dishwasher though.

I think it depends if you've used the pot in the past 24 hours and if it cooked hard dairy or meat within that time frame. I mean, it would give the pasta meat or dairy status if so.

amother
Maple

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 1:42 pm
I wash it with meat or dairy dirty dishes.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 1:45 pm
I usually take my pareve pot to my porch and drain it into the grass using the lid of the pot. The steam coming up from the sink makes me more concerned than the colander. I don’t have a pareve sink

mammamia0527

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 1:47 pm
Strain it with a lid! I leave a little space open between lid and pot and drain.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 3:05 pm
If the colander is clean and wasn't used for anything non parve in the last 24 hours, the hot pasta will still stay parve.

amother
Foxglove

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 3:10 pm
I don't have pareve pots, but I almost never bother getting out my colander. If it's bigger pasta shapes, I use the lid and oven mitts. If it's spaghetti, I use tongs. Sometimes I use my fine mesh strainer as a spoon to lift the pasta out.
I only have one sink so I always turn the faucet to the side and have the coldest water running to hopefully avoid any problems with the steam.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 3:52 pm
Strain with lid and put back on fire for a minute for rest of water to evaporate.

tigerwife

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 3:55 pm
I actually bought a pareve pasta pot for this reason.

https://a.co/d/4wUQSKA

amother
Outerspace

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 5:18 pm
amother OP wrote:
Just put up pasta to cook for shalosh seudos in parve pot. As its boiling I'm realizing I only have milchig or fleshing strainer..so can't actually keep pasta parve and have to be careful not to mess up the pot, or struggle to strain pasta without strainer..scoop out with parve slotted spoon (?). Do most people have 3 strainers? Not cook parve pasta? What do you do?

I don't own a parve anything so I don't know the rules on this but if you are concerned that the steam from the dairy or meat colander would make the parve pot become either dairy or meat, then wouldn't that also be true about the sink beneath the colander? Meaning even if you had a parve colander the boiling water goes from parve pot to parve colander and then hits meat or dairy sink and then steam rises up to pot? So you'd also need a parve sink in addition to parve colander????
Somebody please explain. None of this makes sense to me.

Golde

Post Sat, Mar 30 2024, 4:03 pm
Interesting to read the replies. I have three strainers; milk, meat and pareve. For this exact use. Always had, never thought about it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen