Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
RWMO/JPF in Florida?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 4:26 pm
Is there a shul in a Jewish community in Florida that would be comparable to an Agudah type shul?

amother
Black

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 4:32 pm
I don’t think Agudah is RWMO 🤷‍♀️

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 5:57 pm
Yes, in every community that I'm aware of.

mha3484

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 6:01 pm
amother Black wrote:
I don’t think Agudah is RWMO 🤷‍♀️

In a lot of OOT communities, the crowd that davens at an Agudah shul is kind of like a JPF/Left wing yeshivish. I can see someone feeling like that overlaps with RWMO. Maybe in the bigger east coast communities its different. But in my large OOT city that's definitely accurate.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 9:55 pm
Anyone know any specific shuls?

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 10:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
Anyone know any specific shuls?

In which city? Florida is very large.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 11:00 pm
RWMO and LW yeshivish are totally different, even if they look the same. Just needed to remind everyone that.

ahappygirl12

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 11:37 pm
In east boca.

East boca kehilla (yagdil)
Rabbi Light's shul

Very welcome community and people of all types but mainly jpf/ yeshivish modern types

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 7:34 am
amother Wheat wrote:
RWMO and LW yeshivish are totally different, even if they look the same. Just needed to remind everyone that.

How would you say they're totally different?
(Trying to figure out where in Florida we could fit in.)

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 7:59 am
Jpf doesn’t follow mo hashkafa. Neither does the agudah. What makes you describe yourself as both?

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 8:08 am
amother Cantaloupe wrote:
Jpf doesn’t follow mo hashkafa. Neither does the agudah. What makes you describe yourself as both?

What mo hashkafa doesn't JPF follow? Thinking secular education is important? Thinking the man should work/bring in parnossah and set aside daily time for learning? Supporting the existence of Israel? The JPF people I know are just like that. But noooo they wouldn't dare say they were modern.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 8:16 am
amother Skyblue wrote:
What mo hashkafa doesn't JPF follow? Thinking secular education is important? Thinking the man should work/bring in parnossah and set aside daily time for learning? Supporting the existence of Israel? The JPF people I know are just like that. But noooo they wouldn't dare say they were modern.

That’s not unique to mo. Nor is it unique to jpf. Why do people identify as Mo if not for the hashkafa difference? It’s also different halachically in many areas like clothing, shuls, and kashrus. Not sure jpf would eat vegan with no hechsher for example but that’s standard in many mo communities.

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 8:24 am
That’s not unique to mo. Nor is it unique to jpf. Why do people identify as Mo if not for the hashkafa difference? It’s also different halachically in many areas like clothing, shuls, and kashrus. Not sure jpf would eat vegan with no hechsher for example but that’s standard in many mo communities.

Well that's mo hashkafa.

In America most MO rabbonim do not pasken anything differently about clothing and kashrus than a JPF community rav. What people take upon themselves to not observe is on them, but certainly not part of being MO. The difference is that they identify as MO while following their own ideas. People dressing how they want and eating vegan out is certainly not part of mo hashkafa but these people won't be shunned so I guess you can say the difference is inclusivity.

essie14

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 8:24 am

Eating vegan with no hechsher is not standard in many MO communities.
There may be some individuals who do this but no way is it a community wide standard.

essie14

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 8:26 am
amother Skyblue wrote:
Well that's mo hashkafa.

In America most MO rabbonim do not pasken anything differently about clothing and kashrus than a JPF community rav. What people take upon themselves to not observe is on them, but certainly not part of being MO. The difference is that they identify as MO while following their own ideas. People dressing how they want and eating vegan out is certainly not part of mo hashkafa but these people won't be shunned so I guess you can say the difference is inclusivity.

We cross posted Wink
Exactly. You elaborated better than I did.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 8:30 am
amother Skyblue wrote:
Well that's mo hashkafa.

That absolutely not true. Rabbanim DO pasken this way.

essie14

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 8:33 am
That absolutely not true. Rabbanim DO pasken this way.

There are MO rabbanim who pasken on dress, eg: no requirement to cover elbows, sleeves up to the elbow are fine and head covering - covering the head is fine, you don't have to cover all the hair. These are things I've heard MO rabbanim discuss publicly, but definitely not eating vegan. There are bug issues and grape juice issues.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 8:33 am
Jpf is not wearing short sleeves and pants, or eating vegan or going to a shul with no mechitza. . Mo pasken you can wear short sleeves and pants. Mo pasken you can eat vegan with no hechsher. Mo pasken you can have a shul with no mechitza. These are facts not opinions. Secular learning and working and all that exists across every community.

essie14

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 8:34 am
Jpf is not wearing short sleeves and pants, or eating vegan or going to a shul with no mechitza. . Mo pasken you can wear short sleeves and pants. Mo pasken you can eat vegan with no hechsher. Mo pasken you can have a shul with no mechitza. These are facts not opinions. Secular learning and working and all that exists across every community.

That's not true. I don't know what MO rabbis you've heard pasken on going to shul without mechitza. That's a flat out lie.
Every orthodox shul has a mechitza.

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 8:36 am

Um, no. That's Conservative, not MO.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating