Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Help, flying with little kids
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 10:42 pm
It’s my first time traveling with them by plane, I’m so nervous. It’s about 5-6 hour flight. What kind of snacks, activities, luggage…? are these suitcase scooters worth investing in?
Any and all suggestions and tips welcome!

SuperWify

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 12:20 am
-Pack every child’s briefcase with their own toys and snacks. Have them in charge of their own bags. When they are hungry they know where to get a snack from…
Toy ideas: interactive travel books, small Lego sets, coloring books
For my Lego obsess son I made him a Lego travel loose leaf. We decorated the cover with Lego pictures. Inside I glued a Lego board on one side down. On the other side I filled a pencil case with random Lego pieces. You open it up and play.

-include an empty water bottle so they can fill it up with the airplane drinks and it won’t spill

-in your carryon keep extra changes of clothes. If it’s a night flight put them in pjs but bring day clothes with.change right before landing so they leave the plane fresh. For babies and toddlers bring two changes.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 9:03 am
Thanks!

giftedmom

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 9:38 am
We are frequent flyers
Would not recommend individual briefcases for little kids. Every extra item= bigger headache.
Pack kids headphones for everyone for in flight entertainment or other visual or audio entertainment you take along.
Mellowchew if it’s a night flight.
More food if it’s a day flight.
Good luck!

tichellady

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:00 am
Have wipes accessible on the flight. Somehow things get very wet and sticky easily on airplanes. My kids like the water wow books, sticker books, putty, play dough kits ( somewhat messy but I think ok for a plane but not everyone will agree). We bring fun treats like ring pops and kinder eggs.

I find what makes the biggest difference is if the flight attendants and people sitting near you are nice to kids, which obviously you can’t control.

lotta

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:09 am
Adding...

-Hoodies for the plane, no matter the outdoor temperature.
-A change of clothing for Mommy too. The last thing you need to walk off the plane feeling dirty if one of the kids soiled you....
-Add enough extra diapers, if you have a kid in diapers. People say to double diapers, which makes it easy if you can't get up and change the baby when seatbelt sign is on. Take the kids to the bathroom right before the flight.

-You could prepare toddler snack cups for younger kids to avoid the mess.
-Squeeze yogurts and mess free foods.

Honestly would keep the backpacks in the hand luggage until the flight. Keep it small and not overloaded.
-Busy boards are fantastic.
-Water WOW kids love.
-magna doodles, magna dots, or boogie boards are great.
-Get triangle crayons that they don't roll off the tray.
-magnetic dolls or scenes.
Would stay away from toys with too many little pieces.

Good Luck!

amother
NeonYellow

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:19 am
Has anyone used folding scooters in the airport? Yay or Nay?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:25 am
Chewing gum and then nasal spray you take when one has a cold and a stuffed nose. It's very good against ear pain as small kids cant decompress their ears. Use it before boarding.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:34 am
How old are your kids?
If they are told enough to understand explain to them that they must sift in their seat belted for take off and landing. You may try to train this at home multiple times on a chair with a belt and make it a fun thing.
Due to safety everyone MUST be seated and belted no matter how much they scream and tantrum. It's airline regulations.
Make sure to book seats next to each other even at a fee. Airline is not responsible for that unless you do it.

lotta

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:43 am
amother NeonYellow wrote:

Personally didn't try it. Know of someone who did it and worked well. Would say if it's two scooters or more would be a nay. If it's one child on a scooter is a different story.
Never used this yet for flying, but my relative used this cheaper version of the trunki and said it worked great.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 11:01 am

Just extra stuff to carry when your child doesn’t want to use it anymore…

SuperWify

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 11:02 am
giftedmom wrote:
We are frequent flyers
Would not recommend individual briefcases for little kids. Every extra item= bigger headache.
Pack kids headphones for everyone for in flight entertainment or other visual or audio entertainment you take along.
Mellowchew if it’s a night flight.
More food if it’s a day flight.
Good luck!

I fly long distance 3-4 times a year. Briefcase system works amazing for us. Kids know that they need to carry it, just like in school.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 9:56 am
SuperWify wrote:
Just extra stuff to carry when your child doesn’t want to use it anymore…

Thanks!
What about the radio flyer wagon then?

How do you get a 5 year old to walk through a long airport?
(JFK... it can be a 20 min walk...)

amother
Gladiolus

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 10:02 am
Thanks!

My son has a scooter. A standing one. But they need to know how to use it safely indoors without bumping into anyone.

In general, flying is not all that hard. I do it all the time with kids, sometimes without my husband.

Talk to them about the details before over and over again. for a week. Talk about staying near parents all the time in the airport, using the bathroom when necessary, sitting belted on the flight and sleeping on chairs or plane.

Pack lightly. the more things you have, the more overwhelming it gets. Do bring a change of clothes for every child because they can throw up. Don't give them nosh!! Not worth it. Snack bags I would recommend to help them keep quiet by check in if necessary or whenever they are restless.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 10:06 am
Mothercould on Insta has a few good links for Amazon deals that are great for traveling. Melissa and doug makes great stuff. Give each kid their own backpack with food and activities

SuperWify

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 10:24 am
Thanks!

Do you have any other kids? I bring a travel stroller and let them take turns. I don’t have babies, my youngest one is 3. Still, I always take a stroller.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:17 am
SuperWify wrote:
Do you have any other kids? I bring a travel stroller and let them take turns. I don’t have babies, my youngest one is 3. Still, I always take a stroller.

I am bringing a stroller but it's a late night/dawn flight - so I don't see how my little one will be willing to walk at all.

amother
Skyblue

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:45 am
We flew with 3 little kids and bh it was a breeze. I left early enough so I don't have to rush my 5 year old to walk and bh he walked beautifully

I also took a yoyo that fit into the overhead bin. If your using a doona you can ask if the seat next to you is empty and you can bring the doona on the plane

With kids you can take whatever you want for them and they won't ask any questions. We took cups filled with water, squeeze yogurts not the right size.

Mini magna tiles and mini cars were a hit
Richard scarry book that has a lot going on to look at
Coloring book and crayons but knowing that some will fall and get lost (a box was about $.60 cents)

Great game that kids love is taking little toys you have at home and hiding it in play doh so the kid has to find the toy/s

Each kid was wearing a briefcase with all their projects and toys and snacks so one less thing to hold

There's a blow up thing that you can lay on the seat so kids sleep on the plane. I never used it but I've heard good reviews

Also you can take a pillow and sew the short ends together so it goes over the armrest and kids can lay on it

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 9:16 am
We travel a lot with kids, scooters are a no, not worth the hassle. The kids that are old enough not to need a stroller can handle walking through the airport. No Doona, I need my uppababy vista because the basket is a lifesaver and there’s somewhere to put everything down. (I also have the add on seat, for the kid that sometimes needs to sit. The seat fits on the basket when you aren’t using it)
Each kid wears their own backpack with the stuff they need for the flight. It also makes the flight easier when you aren’t passing things around all the time amd they aren’t asking for things nonstop. Also the seats aren’t always as conveniently located as we want. And if you are carrying everything, you need to open and close overhead bin bec the bag will be too large to sit at your feat. This way everyone has a small bag in front of them.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 9:34 am
About taking liquids through security - this is very hit or miss and depends on the TSA agent who happens to be screening you. I've had some who let anything through when I have a baby or a toddler, and some who are super strict about what is and isn't allowed, and how much.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics