Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
What's in your fridge?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 2:39 pm
My friend and I were talking and she said she doesn't understand why people need huge fridges. She only has food in her fridge on shabbos otherwise it's condiments, a package or 2 of cheese, a milk bottle, eggs and some vegetables. It doesn't take up all that much room.

I'm curious what's in your fridge? How's your fridge space?

Dolly151

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 3:17 pm
Same.
I also have lots of yogurts (and spices bc I live in Israel.)
I do have a big fridge tho bc when it's shabbos I really pack it well. I mage lots of diff dishes for each of the 3 meals

amother
Cherry

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 3:21 pm
Mines almost always full. We eat tons of dairy, eggs and fruits and veggies. Plus we buy 3 different kinds of milk.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 3:21 pm
I have a big fridge and it’s mostly empty except Yom tov time. I don’t understand having it full all the time. When does all that get eaten?

amother
Hydrangea

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 3:25 pm
Ours is always full with bags of lettuce, cartons of eggs, milk, grape juice.
Dips, condiments, vinegars, pickles.
Yogurts, a number of different cheeses and cream cheese.
Loads of vegetables, fruits, hard eggs, quinoa rice and fish for lunches.
Turkey and cold cuts.
I organize before our weekly order and delivery.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 3:27 pm
amother DarkOrange wrote:
I have a big fridge and it’s mostly empty except Yom tov time. I don’t understand having it full all the time. When does all that get eaten?

Every day I have from the lettuce, veggies, fruits. From the milk, eggs and the turkey.
And that's just me.
Each person eats their daily things.
And I transfer poultry from the freezer to the fridge most days to thaw for dinner.

amother
Petunia

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 4:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
My friend and I were talking and she said she doesn't understand why people need huge fridges. She only has food in her fridge on shabbos otherwise it's condiments, a package or 2 of cheese, a milk bottle, eggs and some vegetables. It doesn't take up all that much room.

I'm curious what's in your fridge? How's your fridge space?

Huge Grape juice and apple juice, wine, condiments (sauces, peanut butter, jelly, big mayo, chrein), 4-5 milks, big yogurt container, cheeses, cream cheese, lebens, butter, eggs, Shabbos leftovers and other leftovers, prepped lunches for the week, produce, bread/bagels. Sometimes meat that is thawing. Water pitchers on Shabbos. Beverages alone are almost half my fridge space.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 4:03 pm
TONS of veggies and milk/cheese.
I wish for a separate fridge designated for vegetables, with lots of temperature controlled drawers. In my dreams I am building a walk in fridge like Kim k

amother
Forsythia

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 4:27 pm
I would assume family size is a big factor

amother
DarkOrange

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 4:30 pm
How do you eat that many vegetables fast enough? We buy a decent amount it takes up a shelf. The door is filled with condiments and the draw with milk products. Half a shelf with drinks. Still have the rest of the fridge empty.

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 4:31 pm
No one seemed to mention supper leftovers! Often have that un my fridge (in addition to yogurts, eggs, fruits and veggies, cheese, cream cheese, 2 different kinds of milk, tons of condiment jars, pitcher of water).

mha3484

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 4:32 pm
The drawers of my fridge are full and the side shelves. The center of the fridge where the main shelves are, varies from 25-50% full on a regular day. More on shabbos and yomtov.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 4:33 pm
amother Viola wrote:
No one seemed to mention supper leftovers! Often have that un my fridge (in addition to yogurts, eggs, fruits and veggies, cheese, cream cheese, 2 different kinds of milk, tons of condiment jars, pitcher of water).

We don’t have leftovers. I have the amount down to a science. This is what living paycheck to paycheck does I guess.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 5:38 pm
amother Forsythia wrote:
I would assume family size is a big factor

Actually not. It's only me and DH and we have two fridges (each one approx 80 cm) and when I was divorced with only once fridge it was *packed* because of all the vegetables/fruit.
Two fridges isn't a luxury.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 5:58 pm
Sadly my fridge holds lots of out of date stuff or stuff gone bad. It's very deep, (and I'm pretty short) and I can't even see the stuff at the back, esp on the top shelves.

I consider myself pretty functional in most areas, but somehow my fridge is a disaster and I need to learn how to organize it better Sad

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 4:39 am
amother Mistyrose wrote:
Sadly my fridge holds lots of out of date stuff or stuff gone bad. It's very deep, (and I'm pretty short) and I can't even see the stuff at the back, esp on the top shelves.

I consider myself pretty functional in most areas, but somehow my fridge is a disaster and I need to learn how to organize it better Sad

Have your considered a top freezer/bottom fridge that isn't that deep?

amother
Quince

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 7:49 pm
Leftovers, planned-overs, and items I buy in semi-bulk. I'm not about to go to the supermarket every other day to buy two yogurts, three oranges and a quart of milk. Nor am I about to cook soup 2 portions at a time. When I make soup I make a whole pot and we eat it for several days. I buy milk a gallon at a time, eggs two dozen at a pop, yogurt six to ten at once.

When I make challah, the whole mixing bowl goes in the fridge to rise overnight.

I don't have a huge fridge, in fact it's pretty small. On Pesach it's really a problem because all the food for the sedarim takes up a lot of space, plus you need to buy all your eggs before Pesach. In countries where eggs aren't pre-washed you can safely leave them out if they're uncooked, but here where they're pre-washed, they must be refrigerated.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 7:56 pm
full fridge at home and at work I take up a whole fridge too! I never eat out so I am always prepared. for the record my pantry is stuffed right now and so are my desk drawers.

we have an all fridge at home, and we're only 2 at home right now. (we have an all freezer too and it's always stuffed.)

the whole bottom is beer for dh. the whole top is other drinks - orange juice, wine, protein drinks, hard seltzer, diet soda.

both bins are full of fruits and veggies. I have a drawer for dairy. that leaves 2 and a half shelves - onehalf shelves is for eggs. one shelf is for dinner things. the other shelf is for misc grab and go foods - fruits, cherry tomatoes, humus, etc.

amother
Grape

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 8:59 pm
It really goes by your food lifestyle & family ages/stages.

If you cook from scratch, have many adult sized eaters, and eat loads of produce, you need tons of room.

If you have a few younger children or picky eaters who like pasta & fish sticks & bread with butter or buy takeout, condiments sound about right.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics