Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media
Why do people think it’s okay to post their children?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 5:49 pm
There are so many creeps out there (enough said but this is IRKING me).
Anyone who *publicly* posts their children is subjecting them to the creeps.
People posting their kids dancing, doing try ons, eating etc.
have they never learned internet safety?

amother
DarkViolet

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 5:58 pm
They are so blinded by the fame, likes, money… that they don’t care. It’s called living in denial. It’s sad really.
My brother plays in a band, he’s on a lot of Jewish music videos. One singer recently gave out a video that he was on, so I sent him a video of my kids dancing to the music. He asked me if he can send it to the singer, he will post in on his social media. I told him ABSOLUTELY NOT. I know it would’ve been fun and cute to see my kids online, but it’s just not worth the risk.

amother
Pistachio

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 5:59 pm
Why do you care what other people do?

amother
Vanilla

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 6:06 pm
I understand posting your kids in stories, about their day, sharing them all the time is crazy. But do you really think one or two photos total (profile pics etc) really makes a difference? Especially when they're babies, they look different as adults. I'm just saying, there's enough people out there for the creeps to look at lol.

Also many times you really can't control it. After a wedding, the photographer/hair/makeup post without permission all the time. Videographer and Livestream person both made their videos public etc.

amother
Currant

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 6:06 pm
amother Pistachio wrote:
Why do you care what other people do?

Because it's dangerous & kids are too young to consent.
I don't understand how any parent is okay with posting their children on social media. Who gave them right to post their children sleeping??? Or their children's bedrooms?? That's such a breech of boundaries & I think should be illegal.
Perverts also use pictures of children on social media to do their thing.

amother
Pistachio

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 6:12 pm
amother Currant wrote:
I don't understand how any parent is okay with posting their children on social media. Who gave them right to post their children sleeping??? Or their children's bedrooms?? That's such a breech of boundaries & I think should be illegal.

It's obviously not illegal same way there are child models who can't consent. I would never do it but I don't see why you concern yourself so much with what others do. Raise your kids how you want and stay in your lane. Every parent does what they think is right.

amother
Currant

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 6:16 pm
amother Pistachio wrote:
It's obviously not illegal same way there are child models who can't consent. I would never do it but I don't see why you concern yourself so much with what others do. Raise your kids how you want and stay in your lane. Every parent does what they think is right.

I disagree. Some influencers are so obsessed with like's and fame, that they're using their children to achieve that. They're exploiting their kids for their own fame. They know that if they stop posting their kids, they'd loose views & likes. That is not okay, they're just unwilling to hear the truth.
You cannot do whatever you want with your children. Even if you're their parents.
Your children are entitled to privacy.

I think you need to educate yourself on internet & social media safety, especially when it comes to children.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 6:18 pm
amother Currant wrote:

Omg how is it legal to take your kid to the park, to a restaurant or outside at all? There are creeps outside that are looking at your children, how could you possibly subject them to such abuse?!

amother
Pistachio

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 6:22 pm
amother Currant wrote:
I disagree. Some influencers are so obsessed with like's and fame, that they're using their children to achieve that. They're exploiting their kids for their own fame. They know that if they stop posting their kids, they'd loose views & likes. That is not okay, they're just unwilling to hear the truth.
You cannot do whatever you want with your children. Even if you're their parents.
Your children are entitled to privacy.

I think you need to educate yourself on internet & social media safety, especially when it comes to children.

And what about kids who are models, movie stars, or on TV shows? How is it any different? I think you need to educate yourself about real life and not just the little bubble you live in. You don't have to agree with everything everyone does but it doesn't make it abuse or illegal.

amother
Steelblue

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 6:25 pm
While I very much value keeping my kids’ privacy, I think the whole ‘pedos use kids photos’ is overhyped. There are hundreds of thousands of photos of kids online. I don’t think the problem is really as big as people make it seem. Somebody voiced this and it’s sensational so it became hysteria.

Personally I have a bigger problem with vloggers who video their kids’ lives for money annd public amusement. That’s just taking their privacy and anonymity away from them forever. It’s also making their entire daily life into a fake show. But innocent pics of a child blowing out their birthday candles? Nah, there are worse things to worry about.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 6:33 pm
There are creeps everywhere. Taking pictures of your kids in the playground without you realizing. Hacking baby cameras. Hacking the camera on your laptop and spying on you. If you want to go down this rabit hole you’d have to move to an underground bunker to be safe.

amother
Kiwi

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 6:45 pm
So I have many thoughts on this. I don’t post my baby because I don’t need random people to have screenshots of her on their phone, not necc for bad things but I don’t want a picture on there phone at all of my baby. I don’t believe it’s exploiting tho, not in our world of frum influencers who do try ons. Poissinky on the non Jewish world where the whole content is the child , in our circles it’s more here and there and anyway I don’t think it’s a breach of privacy on the child. I don’t want my child’s picture out there but I don’t think a pedo is getting to it either

amother
Zinnia

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 6:47 pm
There are entire sm accounts opened by parents starring their children. Some of them have millions of subscribers - one little 4 year old's account has 17 Million subscribers!and most comments are from old men who often leave explicit disgusting sxist comments. These parents could care less about their children they love money more than their children.

Many children who grew up on family channels have recounted their difficult experiences. No privacy whatsoever and were often bullied by peers who would watch the content. Never mind never being paid [unlike child actors who have laws looking out for them financially ]

Parents should not be allowed to post freely we should have laws protecting children from parents who exploit them

amother
Currant

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 6:58 pm
amother Indigo wrote:
Omg how is it legal to take your kid to the park, to a restaurant or outside at all? There are creeps outside that are looking at your children, how could you possibly subject them to such abuse?!

Creeps isn't the only issue.
And taking children to the park, isn't exploiting children & isn't watched by thousands....

amother
Currant

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 7:02 pm
amother Pistachio wrote:
And what about kids who are models, movie stars, or on TV shows? How is it any different? I think you need to educate yourself about real life and not just the little bubble you live in. You don't have to agree with everything everyone does but it doesn't make it abuse or illegal.

There are countless accounts of now grown up child actors, talking about what they went through as children and the negative effects it has left on them. There are quite afew child actors that committed suicide in their teens or as young adutls.

rainbow dash

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 7:03 pm
I follow the dad challenge podcast on YouTube. He talks about child exploitation and explains how dangerous it is.

amother
Feverfew

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 7:05 pm
Most people do post their kids on social media for the past generation already. There are creeps everywhere do you keep your kids locked at home?

amother
NeonYellow

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 7:06 pm
amother Indigo wrote:

I disagree. If there was a park with a ton of creepy guys with cameras who would hang around the slides and take pics of the kids… I’m sure parents would avoid that park.
I was at a restaurant where there was a guy snapping pics of kids. I told the restaurant they need to not allow him back or I won’t be coming anymore.

Socail media is full of creeps. I personally know influencers (who share their kids) who send me screenshots of yucky questions they get from AMAs.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 7:23 pm
Pictures of kids are everywhere, on school’s websites, at any big events they go to, any events with videographers, any weddings, no way to keep pictures private. I don’t think posting a cute picture of my kid playing or designing something on my Facebook page is such a huge risk.

amother
Vanilla

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 8:22 pm
amother Currant wrote:

If you're referring to vloggers/influencers who center their content around children, I definitely agree. There's something extremely off about posting your kid sitting on the toilet (talking about toilet training), lying in their bed, getting in trouble and the punishments they got from it, sick and not feeling well. I've seen all this done! Mostly by non frum influencers.

But there are some frum ones who's older kids asked them not to be featured, and they'll constantly show what they're doing but leave out the face and bring up the fact that they asked not to be shown. Like reprimanding them in public.

I feel bad for these kids. My own, who are in my profile pic and a very rare photo shared? Totally different story.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media