Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Your minhag?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 7:40 pm
amother Steelblue wrote:
You mean you spill it to look through it?
You do that for sugar and potato starch or is salt specifically something that could have chometz more than the other items?

I don’t use sugar or potato starch.

I spill small amounts at a time and look thru it in a designated container that’s for salt only and matza can’t touch.

I make two containers one to spoon out into dishes and one to spoon into a matza bag without touching the matza.

amother
Hosta

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 7:42 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
Can you explain this? I don’t get it, and I never heard of it until I got married. You clean and clean and clean, so what is the concern? Why can’t you just wash it in the sink? Your floor is, presumably, clean so why can’t you use it?

True I clean and clean but I can never know what's on my floors with everything that walks on it.
It's an extra chumra that some of us have. No need to think so deeply into it.

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 7:42 pm
amother Steelblue wrote:
You do that for sugar and potato starch or is salt specifically something that could have chometz more than the other items?

We don’t use sugar.
There’s story I think k it was with the rebbe rashab. A chossid brought the rebbe sugar cubes for pesach he was very careful not to get chometz in it. The rebbe took a sugar cube crushed it with his fingers and lo and behold there was a grain of wheat.

Obviously these days factories are careful but we don’t use it because they didn’t use it in Russia.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 7:43 pm
amother Apple wrote:
I don’t use sugar or potato starch.

I spill small amounts at a time and look thru it in a designated container that’s for salt only and matza can’t touch.

I make two containers one to spoon out into dishes and one to spoon into a matza bag without touching the matza.

What's the purpose of the salt in the matzah bag if they don't touch?

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 7:45 pm
amother Slategray wrote:
What's the purpose of the salt in the matzah bag if they don't touch?

Some like salt on the matza.

Two separate contains I don’t want my containers getting gebrokts. So a spoon poured in shld last the whole pesach.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 7:46 pm
amother Apple wrote:
We don’t use sugar.
There’s story I think k it was with the rebbe rashab. A chossid brought the rebbe sugar cubes for pesach he was very careful not to get chometz in it. The rebbe took a sugar cube crushed it with his fingers and lo and behold there was a grain of wheat.

Obviously these days factories are careful but we don’t use it because they didn’t use it in Russia.

They also didn't use refrigerators. 🤷🏻‍♀️

amother
SandyBrown

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 7:46 pm
Chabad. We do all the things mentioned as Chabad besides we buy gefilte fish and we drink tea (don't ask why, my parents had tea so we have tea).

To the poster who claimed they used strawberries as Karpas, I think you were my classmate LOL. Or there was another girl who had the same thought process as you

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 7:52 pm
amother Hosta wrote:
True I clean and clean but I can never know what's on my floors with everything that walks on it.
It's an extra chumra that some of us have. No need to think so deeply into it.

But anything that’s so small that you can’t see it isn’t cganetz, and neither is something that someone walked on. If you trust that you cleaned well for Pesach, then it shouldn’t be an issue. If you don’t trust that you cleaned well, then you have a bigger issue. Not trying to be snarky, I just really don’t understand the logic. Is it maybe a holdover from way back in the day?

amother
Hosta

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 7:53 pm
amother Goldenrod wrote:
They also didn't use refrigerators. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Pesach is a yom tov based on Mesorah, we do what our Rebbe's or parents do. I think it's important to remain respectful of others chumras. You don't need to understand it, you don't need to mock it either.

amother
Hosta

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 7:54 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
But anything that’s so small that you can’t see it isn’t cganetz, and neither is something that someone walked on. If you trust that you cleaned well for Pesach, then it shouldn’t be an issue. If you don’t trust that you cleaned well, then you have a bigger issue. Not trying to be snarky, I just really don’t understand the logic. Is it maybe a holdover from way back in the day?

See my comment above☝️

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 7:55 pm
amother Hosta wrote:
See my comment above☝️

Yes like I mentioned above it’s probably passed down for generations that no one is sure of a source.

effess

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 8:02 pm
Not my minhag but my guest recently told me no carrots or potatoes aside from no gebroks. I was fascinated. I think no fish either.
Anyone know where that tradition is from?

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 8:03 pm
effess wrote:
Not my minhag but my guest recently told me no carrots or potatoes aside from no gebroks. I was fascinated. I think no fish either.
Anyone know where that tradition is from?

No fish is Hungarian as they used to preserve it in vinegar. They have eggs and onions instead. (Mashed eggs with saltwater and onions)

naomi2

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 8:04 pm
We eat everything except kitnyos and gebrochst. Before I was married I ate gebrochst.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 8:13 pm
amother Apple wrote:
No fish is Hungarian they used to preserve it in vinegar. They have eggs and onions instead. (Mashed eggs with saltwater and onions)

Not sure where you heard this.
Actually they have falshe fish (faux fish), a mixture of ground chicken and vegetables, combined with eggs to hold it together, to imitate the taste of gefilte fish.

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 8:15 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Not sure where you heard this.
Actually they have falshe fish (faux fish), a mixture of ground chicken and vegetables, combined with eggs to hold it together, to imitate the taste of gefilte fish.

I know alot of Satmar that has falsche fish.

My grandparents on one side are Hungarian and don’t eat fish on pesach. They have איי מיט ציבל instead.

sruth1

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 8:47 pm
amother SandyBrown wrote:
Chabad. We do all the things mentioned as Chabad besides we buy gefilte fish and we drink tea (don't ask why, my parents had tea so we have tea).

To the poster who claimed they used strawberries as Karpas, I think you were my classmate LOL. Or there was another girl who had the same thought process as you

I can’t imagine anyone is as ridiculous as me, so now I am really curious as to who you are but can’t figure out how to private message you.

amother
Strawberry

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 8:49 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
Can you explain this? I don’t get it, and I never heard of it until I got married. You clean and clean and clean, so what is the concern? Why can’t you just wash it in the sink? Your floor is, presumably, clean so why can’t you use it?

You can easily track in with your shoes.

amother
Snowflake

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 8:50 pm
I eat it all. Gebrakts, kitniyot. In my world the pesach diet people dread is pretty overrated. Before marriage I ate gebrakts but not kitniyot.

Yeshivish, sephardi.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 8:55 pm
amother Steelblue wrote:

Yes I spill and look through the salt. I don't use potato starch so no to that. And sugar is only used after being resolved and boiled in water and strained.
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics