Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Rib Eye Roast

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 10:38 pm
I have a rib eye roast. I’m not exactly sure what cut of meat it is because it does not have bones like a standing rib roast. Is anyone familiar with this cut and knows how to cook it?
Thanks!!

Amarante

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 6:16 am
This really depends on whether it is actually a rib eye because there is boneless rib eye roasts in which the bones are removed.

If that is true, the boneless rib eye is a premium cut of meat just like a rib eye steak and makes delicious classic "roast beef" which is generally just seasoned simply with salt, pepper, garlic and maybe some herbs and then roasted to medium rare. Maybe rub the exterior with some olive oil mixed with herbs you like

You take it out of the oven to "rest" - generally with a tent of tin foil so keep it warm. The resting allows the juices to settle back in and so when you cut it, the meat remains juicy as opposed to leaking onto the plate.

Timing depends on how many pounds it is and a meat thermometer would be critical to the best temperature because you don't want to ruin it by overcooking or undercooking it.

Keep in mind that when you take it out to rest, it continues cooking for a bit longer.

Tips to make the best recipe

Bring the meat to room temperature before cooking. This helps the meat cook evenly. I recommend 30-40 minutes before starting the cooking process.

Ribeye roast is best when it’s cooked medium-rare or medium. Use a reliable meat thermometer to check that it’s cooked to the ideal internal temperature: 115ºF to 120°F for medium rare (125ºF to 130°F after resting) or 125ºF to 130°F for medium (135ºF to 140°F after resting). Of course, if you prefer your red meat more cooked, just cook until 160°F (medium well done) or 170ºF (well done)
Adjust the cooking time based on weight. The general rule is to cook the roast for 15 to 20 minutes per pound at 350ºF (after searing).

Let the roast rest for 15 to 20 minutes. This gives the juices time to soak back into the meat and make every bite more tender and juicy. I know it’s extra time added when you could be digging right in but trust me, it is worth it!
Slice against the grain. As with carving any large cut of beef, you must slice the roast against the grain to retain its tenderness and beefy juices. Also, the leftover slices of meat are begging to be made into roast beef sandwiches.

Drizzle with beef broth. Or beef stock. This is my secret trick when I’m waiting to serve this beef. A drizzle of this before slicing will ensure the meat is extra juicy and never dry.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 8:37 am
Thank you!! So then I should make it fresh on yom tov morning and not freeze, correct?

Amarante

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 8:40 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you!! So then I should make it fresh on yom tov morning and not freeze, correct?

I would as this is the classic delicious roast beef if it is a boneless rib eye.

Best cooked before you are eating and not reheated. It isn’t like a brisket which improves the next day.

The leftovers are generally eaten cold although there are the classic hot roast beef sandwiches which have the gravy poured over the sliced roast beef and those are delicious.

Also many people use the pan drippings to make a delicious authentic gravy.

Amarante

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 8:44 am
I forgot to add that many people sear the meat for a few minutes in each side to brown it because the searing makes the outer layer more delicious so you have the combination of a thin layer of browned meat and the succulent juicy pink interior.

Searing produces something called the Maillard Reaction. This is an actual chemical reaction. Probably more than you want or need to know but this explains it in depth

https://hexclad.co.uk/blogs/po.....steak

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 10:46 pm
Thank you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics