Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Toddler sleep

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 4:48 am
I am at my wits end and any advice would be appreciated!
My 4 year old has a very hard time falling asleep, I randomly give melatonin
Just started melatonin again after pesach to get back on schedule cuz 4 year old and 2 year old have been going to sleep after 12. Last night they fell asleep at 9, which is amazing but then woke up at 230. 2 year old fell back asleep in my bed but 4 year old was awake until 7, and has cheder at 8. He is awake but doesn't lie there quietly. He crjes needs me in his bed, keeps coming up with random fears
We even gave him a tiny piece of melatonin again but it didn't work. It's really rough because at a certain point, I lose it from exhaustion and I have a nursing baby also.
Any advice? Thank you

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 4:50 am
How much melatonin are you giving them? A too big dose can cause waking up in middle of the night.

Also, check/ treat for strep and pinworms

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 5:01 am
amother Ghostwhite wrote:
How much melatonin are you giving them? A too big dose can cause waking up in middle of the night.

I give 1/4 of a 1 mg tablet
I didn't find any pinworms and also no strep symptoms

teachkids

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 5:05 am
Check their iron levels

amother
Ballota

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 5:15 am
amother Ghostwhite wrote:

I don’t think it’s any of those. I personally had the same experience with melatonin with my dd who’s anxious and a difficult sleeper and with myself when I tried it. Worked to go to sleep but if we woke up during the night, we’re up for the day.

If you think about the way melatonin functions, it makes sense. It’s helping your body regulate itself with sleep. Essentially your body’s getting the memo that sleep’s done when you wake up, which is appropriate in the morning but not what you want in the middle of the night.

You might need to come up with other methods to get your 4 yo back on schedule.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 8:15 am
amother OP wrote:
I give 1/4 of a 1 mg tablet
I didn't find any pinworms and also no strep symptoms
At that age all my kids needed was like a sixth or even an eight of melatonin. Like literally a crumb.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics