Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
School lunches
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 8:19 am
Do they bother you that ur kid is eating such junk food every day?

I’m
Not even that health conscious but getting used to deep fried, fatty foods is terrible.

Thoughts?

How I wish the schools would stop serving lunches…. Or offer more home style cooked foods.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 8:56 am
And hot dogs Sad

amother
Hosta

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 8:59 am
Cost wise no one is serving grilled chicken and vegetables. Realistically what do you think they can serve when they cook for so many people?

mommyla

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 9:00 am
And pareve chulent! Can't Believe It (can’t find the vomit emoji)

My kids have brought home lunch some years but they have to be on board.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 9:18 am
amother Hosta wrote:
Cost wise no one is serving grilled chicken and vegetables. Realistically what do you think they can serve when they cook for so many people?

There’s a difference between ANY homemade dish and restaurant food. I never said grilled chicken and veggies.
We’re conditioning our kids to only like takeout food. Why do you think so many of our teens are insisting on eating out every minute? And they don’t like moms supper anymore?

amother
Hosta

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 9:19 am
amother OP wrote:
There’s a difference between ANY homemade dish and restaurant food. I never said grilled chicken and veggies.
We’re conditioning our kids to only like takeout food. Why do you think so many of our teens are insisting on eating out every minute? And they don’t like moms supper anymore?

I don’t have those issues. My kids think the lunch is gross and take homemade food half the days. Most kids don’t think it tastes good or that it tastes like restaurant food. Never heard of such an issue.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 9:22 am
Yup. It makes me so sad on so many levels. And when we moved from Brooklyn to lakewood and kids started getting snacks as well... and when inspectors come and they give danishes and box drinks for breakfast... I wish I had more control over what my kids eat. They're all great eaters until they start school and then they only want pizza, ziti and chicken nuggets.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 9:25 am
amother Hosta wrote:
This is what happens when we institutionalize food and outsource nutrition to the government. Not that long ago parents used to serve their kids 3 meals a day, and even if it was a tuna sandwich on whole wheat that's way better than what they're getting in school.

And I because I know someone's gonna sat buuut underprivileged children. Well, mine aren't. I'm more than happy to make them food any time. But they won't eat it 😕

amother
Hosta

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 9:28 am
amother Cornsilk wrote:
This is what happens when we institutionalize food and outsource nutrition to the government. Not that long ago parents used to serve their kids 3 meals a day, and even if it was a tuna sandwich on whole wheat that's way better than what they're getting in school.

And I because I know someone's gonna sat buuut underprivileged children. Well, mine aren't. I'm more than happy to make them food any time. But they won't eat it 😕

What’s stopping you from serving home lunch? And I don’t agree bread is a good lunch. Most kids cannot function on it. And back in the day I was sent to school with a tuna sandwich every day. I never ate it. Half my class just skipped lunch. That’s not better than eating pizza and chicken nuggets.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 9:31 am
amother Hosta wrote:
What’s stopping you from serving home lunch? And I don’t agree bread is a good lunch. Most kids cannot function on it. And back in the day I was sent to school with a tuna sandwich every day. I never ate it. Half my class just skipped lunch. That’s not better than eating pizza and chicken nuggets.
What's stopping me is that my kids want the greasy, cheesy, sugary, carby takeout the schools serve.
I'm not a fan of bread. I hate centering meals around it. But it's a huge improvement over ultra processed junk parading as food.
Not sure why kids skipped lunch in your day. We all ate our sandwiches.
There are so many other things I'd gladly send with them as well, but sadly they wont get eaten.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 9:33 am
Umm my kids don’t like school lunch. All their friends bring straight garbage like pizza and tradition soup. Tell me how that’s more healthy. I’d rather they eat school lunch because then at least I don’t need to pack it.

What exactly do you think you can send that your kids will actually eat? I can’t even send white whole wheat bread because the other kids know it’s whole wheat and have told them.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 9:36 am
amother Emerald wrote:
Umm my kids don’t like school lunch. All their friends bring straight garbage like pizza and tradition soup. Tell me how that’s more healthy. I’d rather they eat school lunch because then at least I don’t need to pack it.

What exactly do you think you can send that your kids will actually eat? I can’t even send white whole wheat bread because the other kids know it’s whole wheat and have told them.
Kids would actually eat a whole lot more if they were never exposed to tradition soup and pizza. Those things literally hijack your taste buds.

rdmom

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 9:42 am
My daughter hates the school lunches. Most days she takes lunch from home. And you can bet that those are way healthier than what she would get in school.

Over there it’s all pasta. Pancakes.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 9:47 am
amother Cornsilk wrote:
Kids would actually eat a whole lot more if they were never exposed to tradition soup and pizza. Those things literally hijack your taste buds.
Ok and what do you do when “everyone else” is bringing it? And the neighbors are eating it. This goes way deeper than school lunch.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 9:48 am
rdmom wrote:
My daughter hates the school lunches. Most days she takes lunch from home. And you can bet that those are way healthier than what she would get in school.

Over there it’s all pasta. Pancakes.
What is she bringing? And how do you keep it hot? I’m desperate for new ideas that my kids will actually eat

amother
Cornsilk

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 9:49 am
amother Emerald wrote:
Ok and what do you do when “everyone else” is bringing it? And the neighbors are eating it. This goes way deeper than school lunch.
Obviously. That's my point.

rdmom

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 9:50 am
amother Emerald wrote:
What is she bringing? And how do you keep it hot? I’m desperate for new ideas that my kids will actually eat

So it’s not hot lunch that she brings. She would take a tuna sandwich with hot peppers.
Sliced eggs with mayo on whole wheat bread.
Lettuce salads with dressing.
Rice bowls with veggies.
Sometimes she will take a scrambled eggs on whole wheat.
And once in awhile she will take supper leftovers. But not often since she doesn’t want to get fleishig.
But overall. She wants a home made lunch almost every day.

rdmom

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 9:52 am
The funny thing is. Whenever my daughter brings anything for lunch from home. She has a list of girls that want her leftovers. Especially when it’s tuna and hot peppers. Or really anything else.
So many girls yell first come when they see her taking out her lunch.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 9:55 am
My kids don’t like the school lunches.
But they don’t eat my food at home either. I’ve given up trying to please them so I just cook what I like to eat.
They would be happy with cereal and milk for dinner.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 9:57 am
rdmom wrote:
The funny thing is. Whenever my daughter brings anything for lunch from home. She has a list of girls that want her leftovers. Especially when it’s tuna and hot peppers. Or really anything else.
So many girls yell first come when they see her taking out her lunch.
Doesn’t tuna smell though? I might try convincing them to bring it anyway, there are days they eat nothing and come home starving
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries