Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
S/o sourdough challah

gr82no

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 9:48 pm
The other thread made me wonder, isnt there an inyan to have the challah with seven ingredients- each one has a special meaning?
So if you have sourdough then you dont have that right?
Also I remember hearing something about having braided challah?

Basically ppl are using loaves of bread and calling it challah?

I dont eat sourdough, im asking this out of curiosity.

Comptroller

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 9:54 pm
I agree...
This new sourdough fashion gets many things wrong:
If you make challoh with white wheat flour and lots of sugar or honey, and use sourdough instead of yeast, I doubt it has many health benefits. The health benefits come from fiber which the white flour does not contain. And it comes from the fact that the original sourdough bread, which is not made from white flour, is more satisfying, so you need to eat less of it.

ray family

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 9:57 pm
I make sourdough challah. You can make enriched doughs with starter instead of yeast.
My challah are spelt with honey.
They’re braided just like my white challahs are
It is possible.
Took me a while to find a recipe, but it was important for me to have a braided challah and not just a loaf of bread.

peace2

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 10:00 pm
It's funny because in the times of the BHMK all bread was sourdough. They didn't have the yeast that we have, it was all fermented. So sourdough is just going way back to the basics

Comptroller

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 10:03 pm
peace2 wrote:
It's funny because in the times of the BHMK all bread was sourdough. They didn't have the yeast that we have, it was all fermented. So sourdough is just going way back to the basics

I suppose there were no braided challos 2000 years ago. I suppose we picked that up somewhere along the way in Europe, maybe in the past 1000 years or so...

Sunnydays

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 10:05 pm
ray family wrote:
I make sourdough challah. You can make enriched doughs with starter instead of yeast.
My challah are spelt with honey.
They’re braided just like my white challahs are
It is possible.
Took me a while to find a recipe, but it was important for me to have a braided challah and not just a loaf of bread.

Would you share the recipe?

ray family

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 10:35 pm
Sunnydays wrote:

I’m not sure I can. I paid for a course so I could get a recipe.
You can good sourdough challah and find recipes ( had I been smart I would’ve done that to begin with)
Some recipes are milchig just sub water for the milk and oil for the butter. Just try to get a basic gist.

gr82no

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 10:44 pm
peace2 wrote:

Using a starter instead of yeast is what they did then but we have no idea what recipe they used to make their bread. It was likely different than our sourdough today

Comptroller

Sunnydays wrote:

Here is a receipe that was recommended on the other thread:

https://homegrownkosher.com/bl.....allah

gr82no

Comptroller wrote:
I suppose there were no braided challos 2000 years ago. I suppose we picked that up somewhere along the way in Europe, maybe in the past 1000 years or so...

Why do you think there were no braided challahs?

Comptroller

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 11:00 pm
gr82no wrote:
Why do you think there were no braided challahs?

I think braided bread was invented in the late middle ages, maybe 13th century.

But if you find traces of challah that date from the time of beith ha mikdash, let me know.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads