Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Seminary instead of 12th grade
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 11:32 pm
Dd is very unhappy in her school and switching to another school is not an option. She's a little out of the box but a good frum girl otherwise. We were advised to look into seminary options for her. She's very smart and likes to learn but she wants to be in a place where questions are welcomed and not looked down at. Are there seminaries in Brooklyn or even Israel who would accept a girl who skips 12th grade? And is there a type of seminary where the girls are not the typical BY type but solid in hashkafah and looking to grow spiritually? Her teachers and principals will vouch for her. They see her as a deep thinker and more mature than her peers.

amother
Magnolia

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 11:37 pm
Yes. We regret not doing it for one daughter that needed it. A popular mechanech told us 12th grade is overrated and we should skip her but we didn’t listen. Now we’re paying the price for it.

Seminaries in E”Y are open to it, I just don’t know if you can still get in. I know a couple of places that accepted girls from my daughter’s grade but that was many months ago.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 11:39 pm
There are also those that officially take 12th grade. I think one in England.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 11:41 pm
Manchester
Gateshead
Montreal

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 12:03 am
amother DarkPurple wrote:
Manchester
Gateshead
Montreal

Op. Ty for your response. From what I gather Manchester and Gateshead are too old school for her. I'm not familiar with Montreal. Does anyone have info about Bnos Bina in Brooklyn? She wishes there was something like Ohr Naava for the open minded BY girl... she would also like to get her BA.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 12:06 am
amother OP wrote:
Op. Ty for your response. From what I gather Manchester and Gateshead are too old school for her. I'm not familiar with Montreal. Does anyone have info about Bnos Bina in Brooklyn? She wishes there was something like Ohr Naava for the open minded BY girl... she would also like to get her BA.

I think Bnos bina would be a good option.

Comptroller

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 12:14 am
If she is smart, likes to learn, likes to question, it would be good for her to do some kind of highschool diploma, so that she could go to college afterwards.

Maybe you could send her to a school that has a very strong chol programme and allows for a good highschool diploma?

In Israel, Horev or Evelina de Rothschild would be such schools, but I don't know if she could deal with the language change.

Last edited by Comptroller on Thu, May 16 2024, 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lemonlime

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 12:17 am
Comptroller wrote:
If she is smart, like to learn, likes to question, it would be good for her to do some kind of highschool diploma, so that she could go to college afterwards.

Maybe you could send her to a school that has a very strong chol programme and allows for a good highschool diploma?

She can take GED

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 12:27 am
amother Lemonlime wrote:
I think Bnos bina would be a good option.

I'd love to hear more about this seminary. Is it hard to get into? What type of girls? And would they take a girl who skips 12th grade? Do they have a dorm?

amother
Purple

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 12:30 am
amother Lemonlime wrote:
She can take GED

In many cases, if you skip 12th grade, you just need an English class to complete high school requirements to graduate. If you're in NY, I think you can just take the regent and pass, and then you can have a regular regenta diploma.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 12:30 am
amother OP wrote:
I'd love to hear more about this seminary. Is it hard to get into? What type of girls? And would they take a girl who skips 12th grade? Do they have a dorm?

I don't have first hand experience with it, but a few girls I know who went, all loved it. Very down to earth, great teachers.
Regular BY normal girls.
Don't think they have a dorm.
Don't know about them taking a girl after 11th grade. You'd need to ask them.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 12:42 am
amother Lemonlime wrote:
She can take GED

She would get her GED and she wants to go to college and pursue a degree but I feel since she didn't have the best high school experience it's even more important for her to have the seminary experience. She wants to learn hashkafah and practical concepts in yiddishkeit. She's yearning to grow but she's not in a setting that's conducive to that.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 12:58 am
What about Mrs Kitov's seminary in Israel? I forgot the name. I think she would do well there.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 2:03 am
Chedvas loved questions and anyone out of the box as long as they are a good kid that is willing to follow school rules.

I know some unconventional girls that were there, in my friends year there was agirl supposed to be in 11th grade who had undergone a few years of cancer treatments and therefore was really too mature to continue through high school.

I know some other stories. It's a wonderful BY seminary, Shana aleph is for American Israelis but they will take an American if they think it's a good match.

amother
Birch

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 2:29 am
How about Michlalah? Not rigid BY type but solidly frum girls. If she wants, she can continue to a degree in the Israeli program, and would get full credits for her seminary courses.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 6:02 am
amother OP wrote:

Have you looked into New Gateshead (beis Chaya Rochel)? It's not old school like Old Gateshead, but I dont know if it would be a good fit for your daughter.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 6:54 am
Ty for all the info. Bnos bina seems perfect but I'm not comfortable with having her in an environment with smartphones without filters and movies. As mature as she is, she's still very young and impressionable. That's why it's so important that she has a positive learning and social experience. There were some girls from her school who have gone to chedvas and kitov so she already has a bad association with these places because she dislikes her school that much. Although we fit in culturely to the school where she's at she always felt like she didn't fit in and the girls look down at her and it's a cold place. I don't think they looked down at her. I believe they see her as different because she's not so shallow and she asks deep questions in class and has different interests. Her principal is very supportive and truly believes in her and would help. Is it not way too late for applying to Israeli seminaries? I don't have much pull other thsn through her principals. Any and all information is greatly appreciated as I'm so clueless. For me it would be easier to push her thru another year of high school but I think for her future wellbeing we need to consider these options.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 7:09 am
Israeli seminaries do not like questions lol. Israeli BY is very against girls going to Chedvas or Kitov

amother
Caramel

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 7:11 am
What about an out of town BY?

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 7:24 am
What about nitzotz seminary in Bklyn? I heard pp are very happy there. They do have a high school though and next yr will be the first 12th grade.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info