Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Can any NYC/DOE ppl help with adding dependent form?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 12:26 am
Yes, yes, I know I should/could ask HR or UFT rep or something. First of all, DH is the actual employee so I have less access to these people. Secondly, trying to get answers in the past has often been a pain. Plus I'm working and childcaring and lifing all day and filling out forms at night. So it's worth at least seeing if anyone happens to know what I need to know, and if not then I'll try to see who I can reach during the day.

I need to add dependents to our health benefits program. I have the employee application/change form. I'm up to the "family information" part. It looks like this:

FAMILY INFORMAION (Attach a second form if necessary)
List all eligible dependent children. Indicate if you are adding or dropping coverage by checking the appropriate box below.

Then the columns are:
last name
first name
DOB
SSN
Drop coverage (checkbox)
Permanently disabled (checkbox)

and there are five lines for this.

My questions are this:

1. There are five lines, we have six children. So I guess we need to "attach a second form if necessary." Am I supposed to fill out all the other information on the second form as well, or only the dependent part? If I don't fill out the other info then how will they know who the dependent belongs to; but if I do then it will look like a complete form with only one dependent and what if they don't see that I have two pages and only one of my kids gets added?! Yes you could say I'm overthinking this but also they designed this really poorly!

2. They say to list all dependents, so I guess that includes the ones who are already on the plan. That means that for the already covered children I should put their info but should not check add or drop, since they're already there, right? Am I supposed to say "add" to include them, or are they already included by default?

The instructions included with the form don't help at all. It just restates what the form says. ("Section F: list ALL eligible dependent children to be covered." zero elaboration on what to do about attaching a second page or any other questions.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics