Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Political threads - is anybody undecided at this point?
1  2  3  Next

Clarissa

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 8:07 am
Is anybody here undecided, and hoping to be pushed one way or another by the political threads? Speak up if you are. I'd love to know.

It sounds like everybody has decided, and the only people who feel uncertain (and say things like, "wow, you've just convinced me that I must vote against X") are people who would have never voted for X in the first place.

Seems to me that the kinds of political discussions that happen here are not the kinds that help people decide, so much as vent about the candidates they already hate and gush about the candidates they already like.

I ask this because, as I've said before, the political threads here are quite different than that of another board I frequent, and I think everyone here already knows what they're doing and is either bashing the other side, or showing links or whatever to back up their side. I've been inundated by anti-Palin emails for the last few days (just as people have been inundated with emails against Obama and McCain) and could show nonstop quotes and links, but who would they be for? People who already know they don't like Palin, and probably wouldn't vote for McCain in the first place? People who would dispute what the emails contend and claim the links are biased, as so many links are?

I'm honestly wondering here, because it seems like those who admit to being swayed are the types of people who would never vote for the side they're supposedly being swayed against in the first place.

Aidelmom

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 8:17 am
I am undecided I think (lol I'm undecided about being undecided) (also not sure if I'll end up voting, we'll see if my absentee ballot comes in the mail) but I haven't been following the political threads that closely. Frankly politics don't interest me that much. I'll probably vote for whoever "they" say to vote for. Problem is according to what I just read they (aguda) say that the main thing is the voting not who you vote for. I am uncomfortable voting for someone who is lacking experience but it sounds like I'll get that no matter what. I don't think my vote will make much of a difference anyways.

ETA
Just saw the thread election issues that matter. That looks like something that could be helpful.

red sea

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 5:26 pm
I am kind of undecided since I really dont want to give my vote to either candidate. Even the one I am leaning to really inspires me not to vote for them. I think that in my state my vote wont make a difference either way, so it might not be terrible to waste my vote on some unheard of third party who is running. But you could check back with me later since I might change my mind.

Clarissa

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 5:32 pm
Two very honest answers. I appreciate that.

Aidelmom, do you really have to vote for who you're told to vote for? Even my husband and I don't always vote the same way, no matter how intense our feelings. Isn't this a truly individual thing, just us and our ballots?

chaylizi

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 5:38 pm
I personally have not picked a candidate to vote for. I don't especially like either of them. In the last couple elections that I was old enough to vote in, I ended up voting for the candidate I hated the least. not the candidate I liked the most. I guess I just don't really care 2 beans about politics and I'm not too fond of politicians either. they all seem like a bunch of polished phonies who pretend to be interested in their district/state/district, but really only care about their careers & personal political advancement. I posted at least once on this board that I was planning on writing mickey mouse on my ballot.

Aidelmom

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 6:11 pm
I don't have to vote for whoever I'm told to vote for.(hey noones holding a gun to my head) However in the last place I lived there was a vaad (commitee of askanim and rabbanim I beleive) that made recomendations (sp?) on who to vote for in order that we should be a unified bloc and have more clout. Each individual person does not have as much impact as the clal together. I voted for who they said to vote for. (and if I recall correctly everyone we voted for won) It was my choice to do so. That wasn't a presidential election year though.

red sea

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 7:12 pm
How does eva fischer or ralph nadir sound?

cassandra

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 7:19 pm
I will admit that I had a moment of insanity when I was processing the ***** selection that caused me to consider voting for !@#$%. Thank G-d it's over, and I am more confident about my decision to vote:) today then I ever had been before. He's no longer a default; I actually like him and think he is the most worthy of the presidency.

Last edited by cassandra on Sun, Sep 07 2008, 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Clarissa

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 7:27 pm
But I think you can say that nothing here will sway you one way or the other. I mean, it's all about people who've decided who they're voting for, bashing the other side, or saying how they're more excited than ever about their candidates, right? Do you feel any of the threads illuminate anything for you? Although I don't know if the question is for you, really, since you were never really undecided.

By the way, I'd hoped people wouldn't use this thread to make a pitch, even subtle for their candidates. I'd actually hoped it would just be about the purpose of political threads, if there is one, on Imamother.

Last edited by Clarissa on Sun, Sep 07 2008, 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

cassandra

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 7:29 pm
I'm telling you, I was almost swayed. For a second. I shocked myself. And since that point I have been more open minded about !@#$%, which is why I think I can finally feel confident about Flower. So yes, it does help me. (When it's not making me feel dirty)

Last edited by cassandra on Sun, Sep 07 2008, 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Clarissa

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 7:31 pm
I was editing above you while you were posting. I'd rather this thread not even name names, although I know I can't control anything. I don't want it to turn into: I LOVE OBAMA AND NOW I LOVE HIM MORE THAN EVER or I WAS UNDECIDED, SORT OF, AND THEN I REALIZED THAT SARAH PALIN IS THE EARTH MOTHER AND I MUST WORSHIP AT HER SENSIBLE PUMPS...

I really want it to be about the purpose, if there is one, of political threads here.

You were swayed because of anything anybody said here? Or you used your fine mind to read and learn on your own? Because the threads here don't seem to be terribly helpful, from what I can see. I participate in them, but want to wash my hands after I do.

cassandra

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 7:34 pm
Sorry, I really wasn't trying to pitch. I don't actually think I can convince anyone of anything, just giving my personal experience. I'll edit if you want.

Clarissa

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 7:34 pm
Nah, that's okay. I just hope that people continue to post in this, if they like, without addressing specific candidates. Just message board stuff.

cassandra

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 7:35 pm
Clarissa wrote:

You were swayed because of anything anybody said here?

Nah, it was the leftist-masquerading-as-centrist media.

Clarissa

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 7:35 pm
Remember I said you didn't have to edit...? Well, um...

gryp

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 7:57 pm
I like reading the political threads now because I need to decide whether or not I'm going to vote. I'm not undecided as to who to vote for, I'm undecided about voting altogether. Reading people's perspectives helps me clarify my final decision.

cassandra

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 7:59 pm
Why would it ever be a good decision not to vote? One of the two are going to be president whether you like it or not. It's the equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and singing "la, la, la" to block out unpleasantness. Only you can't do that for 4-8 years.

gryp

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 8:04 pm
Because I don't think it's fair for a candidate to get votes just because he expects it. I don't feel like playing into that game. I know it may mean a victory for the other side but that's why I can't decide. Not like McCain has a chance to win NY anyway, but whatever.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 8:07 pm
I'm still undecided because I don't like either of my choices. I'm currently debating whether to vote at all, although the thought of not voting in such an important election makes me uneasy.

Partisan threads are not going to help me decide. I read them for the entertainment rather than to get information.

Sometimes I wish I could see into the future so that I can make good decisions in the present.

cassandra

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 8:08 pm
GR wrote:
Because I don't think it's fair for a candidate to get votes just because he expects it. I don't feel like playing into that game. I know it may mean a victory for the other side but that's why I can't decide. Not like McCain has a chance to win NY anyway, but whatever.

It isn't a game. It's the system. And if you don't like the system you can run for Congress rather than pretending it doesn't exist.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics