Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
My mother in law dosn't know how to cook
1  2  Next

pomegranate

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 1:50 pm
especially the fish. it seems she just puts fish and water and cooks it like this without any spices or sugar etc. is it ok if I take along some of my own fish when I go to her?

amother

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 1:51 pm
Sure she's not on this site? Wink

Raisin

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 1:51 pm
pomegranate wrote:
especially the fish. it seems she just puts fish and water and cooks it like this without any spices or sugar etc. is it ok if I take along some of my own fish when I go to her?

why don't you offer to make some of the food? At least you know some of it will taste good.

Stayci

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 1:53 pm
Is is probably not the greatest idea to bring your own fish along. The most insensitive person will see this as a slap in the face.

pomegranate

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 1:54 pm
amother wrote:
Sure she's not on this site? Wink

haha. no. she probably dosn't know how to read english.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 1:55 pm
before going to her, ask her what you can make for the meal. do this every time. in our family everyone always brings something when someone else is hosting. the hostess still does the most cooking, but we never come empty handed.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 1:55 pm
I would offer to help her cook either in her home or do some of it in your home. Stress that it is no trouble and you would love to help.

pomegranate

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 1:56 pm
Raisin wrote:
pomegranate wrote:

why don't you offer to make some of the food? At least you know some of it will taste good.

she won't eat it.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 1:56 pm
Why won't she eat your food?

egam

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 1:57 pm
Stayci wrote:
Is is probably not the greatest idea to bring your own fish along. The most insensitive person will see this as a slap in the face.

True, but you can to do it in polite way. Try to offer help with cooking and volunteer for fish.

Fox

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 1:57 pm
Raisin wrote:
pomegranate wrote:

You're lucky it's only the fish your MIL ruins. My MIL serves chickens so undercooked that I expect them to start squawking any minute. All in all, Raisin's suggestion is probably best.

BennysMommy

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 1:58 pm
Raisin wrote:
pomegranate wrote:

That's what I do all the time. My SIL (her daughter) does the same thing.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 2:00 pm
Invite your inlaws to your house for meals (if this option is feasable).

pomegranate

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 2:02 pm
Fabulous wrote:
Why won't she eat your food?

I have no idea why. obviously she has some issues.. her own children don't understand a lot of things she does.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 2:04 pm
Have the salt shaker near you at all times. My MIL isn't a terrible cook, but some of her food is too bland for my taste. I station the salt shaker right near my plate and use it liberally.

Is the food completely disgusting, or just not so great?

Stayci

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 2:04 pm
LOL Confused How often do you have Mommy in Laws that allow their kids to either help them cook or bring food along? It definitely is a sticky sitation.
I once decided to be very mature and finish the fish my hostess served me, let me tell you, it was simply awful. No spices because her husband is allergic, no sugar for dietetic reasong... you can just imagine. When I did finally finish the entire portion, she was kind enough to give me a second helping because "I was her first guest who wasnt embarrased to eat everything from my plate." Oh well!!!! Rolling Eyes

pomegranate

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 2:10 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
Have the salt shaker near you at all times. My MIL isn't a terrible cook, but some of her food is too bland for my taste. I station the salt shaker right near my plate and use it liberally.

Is the food completely disgusting, or just not so great?

if it is completely disgusting? better then sand. worse then take-out. somewhere in between. won't it be insulting for her if I add sugar or salt?

pomegranate

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 2:11 pm
Fox wrote:
Raisin wrote:
pomegranate wrote:

You're lucky it's only the fish your MIL ruins. My MIL serves chickens so undercooked that I expect them to start squawking any minute. All in all, Raisin's suggestion is probably best.

Hahaha... gross..

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 2:12 pm
I think it's a little strange to ask for sugar and add it to your food, but it's common table setting to have a salt and pepper shaker on the table. Primarily because not everyone likes their food salted the same way and then people can add salt and pepper as needed.

chavs

Post Wed, Sep 24 2008, 2:17 pm
I havent seen the answers but, ohh, no it isnt ok.
How would you feel if she brought her own food when she came to you? I cant imagine anyone would even think of asking this.
As raisin suggested you can TACTFULLY ask if she would like your help with making some of the food because you'd love to help out.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette